Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at starting a new army but with the new 5th Ed rules coming out I am kind of concerned with str 8 weps vs AV14 placing a -2 on the pen chart. Because of this I am thinking of starting my new army to be Tau due to their heavy str 10 railgun.

hammerheads look quite cheap at xx points each. Would it be too cheesey (or even practical) to have 2 or 3 hammerheads in a 1500 point army?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't think so at all. I love the rail-heads, and think they are balanced at just the right points cost. Just don't forget what anti-infantry ability they have with the Sub-munition shot. Granted its not ideal against MEQs, but still great for all else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find swapping between Hammer Heads and Sky Rays is best depending on what viechles you will be facing, I.e. is it gonna be lots of ork trucks and bikes or three heavy land raiders?

just rember when making them to save the parts that can convert it into a devil fish!
Theres a good guide on the forums for getting the most out of a single hammer head sprue

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you think 3RH's are cheesy then you could just field 2 with the addition of 3BASS's.

No third RH, no cheesy.

Now you do not have to worry about having a guilty conscious. 0:

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
After much debate, I'm going with 2 hammerheads and a skyray in the end.. Railguns are amazing, but the 'Ray is a really interesting vehicle which should, hopefully, compliment them to a degree.. If nothing else, missing with a railgun is a bummer, markerlights can help. :)

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Darn! You just decided to do what I was going to suggest. Grrr!

If you want to be Mr Tournament List or Mr Nasty, then 3 Railheads would be great! I'm doing exactly that with an army list against Nids in two weeks' time (Submunition and Rippers don't mix). However, my more "kindly" list has 2 RHs and a Skyray riding shotgun with those two NWMLs. They can never be removed by Weapon Destroyed results (for proof of this, read the rules for Weapon Destroyed and then see the Markerlight stats in the codex) so the opponent has to destroy the Skyray to remove the NWMLs.

E.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If you want to win, you take three hammerheads.

I take one because I can win with only one hammerhead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think overkilling an opponent is pretty much what you're aiming to do, after all. 8Y
Personally I would field the Skyray with target array, decoy launchers and target lock though(140pts). It gets you two mobile(12" SKIMMER) markerlights(36"), for an effective range of 48", with wicked arcs that can fire at seperate targets at a BS of 4, well armoured for the relative price of 40pts each. Not to mention, if you get your seekers off without it getting destroyed, it becomes a very low priority for your enemy's weapon's fire, and you get to run amok reducing pinning saves, cover saves and increasing BS :) Not to mention fire off other vehicle's seeker's.
It's really the only effective way I've found to use markerlights. To put that in perspective, the most point efficient pathfinder markerlights ring in at 22pts each ( 8 PF with basic Fish ), for immobile BS 3 with a useful fish. I -really- hate the PF required fish...

Personally, I find it out-weighs the benefits of one more Str10/large blast.
Keep in mind though that I only fight MEQs. I hate them. Gimme a sea of Orkses!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Would it be too cheesey (or even practical) to have 2 or 3 hammerheads in a 1500 point army?
I don't think three Hammerheads is "cheese" at all. Anyone who complains about three of any unit being beardy is a nutter. If your Tau force would have three Hammerheads, three Stealth Teams or three whatever in it, go for it.

Any army will come equipped with what it needs to achieve victory. If you're facing heavy armor or you're simply worried about a lone tank's (or pair of tanks') survivability, go for it.

-Nik

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What makes you think three hammerheads is an auto-win?
There's never an "auto-win". Sadly, single-mindedness combined with a lack of truly challenging opponents can lead some to believe in cheese. Remember, the cheese is a lie.

While I do agree that Railguns are not ideal anti-MEQ weapons, they can definitely wreck the enemy's mobility, allowing your Tau forces to better utilize their own mobility. Even if they don't take vehicles and place their speed in jump packs and bikes, you can take comfort in knowing those points keep down their model count.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Not everyone's an expert on warhammer nor should those that aren't very good at it be in any way criticized.

Some people are not smart or care too much about being a truly competitive player. I can't help it if I want to play a game with a bloke and they turn out to be one of these guys.

However I can take 3 hammerheads and auto win without thinking at all. It would be easier to add two and two.

That is cheese.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not everyone's an expert on warhammer nor should those that aren't very good at it be in any way criticized.

Some people are not smart or care too much about being a truly competitive player. I can't help it if I want to play a game with a bloke and they turn out to be one of these guys.

However I can take 3 hammerheads and auto win without thinking at all. It would be easier to add two and two.

That is cheese.
Ah, I see now. You don't win games based on tactics, luck, or competent list building; you win based on which models you buy. (NOTE THE SARCASM...)

Of course nobody should be criticized for not being very competitive. That would be just plain mean. But on the same token, competitive players should not be complained about for trying to win.

It is my opinion that everything can be beaten. There is too much variation in this game for any single combo to be absolutely unbeatable. If you can't tackle a particular problem, you are not being competitive enough. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but you'll probably have more fun only playing other like-minded people.

No offense onlainari, but I detest and refute your notion of an "auto-win". Case in point: While I may wreak devastation with my multiple Hammerheads, there is another Tau player in our area who is so inept that its irritating. It becomes annoying because the guy has the most competitive mindset in group. No amount of "cheese" will help him.

There's a little bit of negative stigma attached to the word "competitive". This word seems to mostly be used to describe victory-obsessed tourney hounds. I'd just like to point out that some people enjoy challenging games, so they prepare for a challenge and expect their opponent to do the same. After all, "The objective is to win, the point is to have fun."

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts

That is cheese.
No, Oni, it's not cheese, it's asking for (serious) trouble. I bet I could give you a game that would make you think a lot, and I wouldn't be taking any Hammmerheads.

3 Hammerheads are certainly not the be all and end all.

~ Raven ~

·
Registered
316 Posts
However I can take 3 hammerheads and auto win without thinking at all. It would be easier to add two and two
maybe if your playing my oldest son (who's 11).

I call bullsh*t on that one fella.

3 hammerheads is pretty tough agreed. but i've played games where a lucky guardsmen with a lascanon has taken out my hammerheads in 3 turns.

no list is cheese. you make your choices and you pay your points for it.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts

That is cheese.
Oni there is no such thing as an auto win and you are intelligent enough to know that (some times dude I think you post these things with an evil glint in your eye ;)). Even the best player will lose at some point, simply through having a bad day, making a mistake (we all make em) or just plain bad luck (you have to remember this is a game with a high reliance on luck). Saying things like this just eats away at your credibility (I am lucky cos I have none:p).
Three Hammerheads is not cheesy in the slightest, even in 1000pt games. My 1000pt list had 3 Hammerheads (now I take two and a Skyray) and I never got any complaint about cheese. In fact my friend at GW in York got accused of cheese because he had two Devilfishes, two Hammerheads and XV8's in his 1000pt list and it wasn’t the Hammerheads that incited the cheese accusations but the combination of DF and HH's. Cheese is like beauty, its all in the eye of the beholder, what is cheese to one person is acceptable to another.
Using the allotted number force organisation slots is not cheesy, just the same as lots of Genestealers is not cheesy.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Cheese is like beauty, its all in the eye of the beholder, what is cheese to one person is acceptable to another.
Personally, young Skywalker, I much prefer my cheese all in in my mouth, not in my eye - and I really do like the stuff!
Another slice of Wensleydale, Grommitt??

(Cheese Buff) ~ Raven ~

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
There is such a thing as auto win.

I think you guys are confused between the difference between me saying a list is unbeatable (I'm not saying this) and me saying that a list against another specific (bad) list is unbeatable.

I have played these bad lists and it would be an auto win if I used 3 hammerheads.

And don't go insulting the people taking bad lists. They might be new to the game or have background reasons etc for taking the list.

You shouldn't be against these kinds of gamers as they are by far the majority.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
There is such a thing as auto win.

I think you guys are confused between the difference between me saying a list is unbeatable (I'm not saying this) and me saying that a list against another specific (bad) list is unbeatable.

I have played these bad lists and it would be an auto win if I used 3 hammerheads.

And don't go insulting the people taking bad lists. They might be new to the game or have background reasons etc for taking the list.

You shouldn't be against these kinds of gamers as they are by far the majority.
I can only think of one instance a list would be anywhere near an auto win list and that is armoured company against something with absolutely no anti tank (and even then rear armour is vulnerable to most weapons). Other than that any list is beatable (even against a specific bad list). Even three Hammerheads cannot win a game if the rest of the list is lost and luck decides to wipe its feet on your face.

Just taking 3 Hammerheads does not ensure an automatic win.You are going to have to explain this auto win ascertion in a bit more depth to convince us dude.

Also we never mentioned anything about an unbeatable list, we were very specific in that we said an auto win situation does not exist..

Also a bad list is a bad list and saying so is not insulting it is stating fact.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well i certainly don't believe 3 railheads is 'cheesy' as frankly the HH is not THAT powerful,i don't believe fielding 3 railheads is going to make or break a game,so unlike some other combinations which might be considered cheesy I would say 3 railheads isn't cheesy or 'imba'.The HH is certainly a good vehicle for its point cost,but thats it.

However i do think fielding 3 railheads takes away from a list simply because of the lack of originality/repetiveness.Which is why im currently using 2 railheads+BASS team or Skyray depending on wether im playing my mech or hybrid list.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts