Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Which thing, though? Blue thing, or big beastie dog-thing...?

From what little I know of Avatar, supposedly James Cameron had the idea/story for this film 15 years ago, or something. Just waited until the technology was available for him to be able to work on it. If true, I suppose it would predate the Kroot, although on the other hand I doubt all the character designs were set in stone at that point...

Also, how does that thing take that many bullets in the face/mouth and keep on coming? Even if only a small percentage hit it still has to hurt!

I did like the gun stealing bit though - clever beastie!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. Almost made me start a Kroot army. Then I realized that those guys are 8-10ft, which puts them on par with a space marine, and they're not much bigger than guardsmen!

This movie looks like it's going to be pretty cool. I doubt that there was much set in stone, or that anything is particularly 'ripped' from other sources.
For example- the landers that the humans use look strikingly similar to a Pelican from Halo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The big dog thing looks like a kroot/krootox - esque thing...strikingly, in my opinion. The dreds/flaps + the beak-ish maw are very similar.

The Na'vi look like an even mix of an Eldar and a Tau. The figures, faces and ears look eldarish, especially when compared to the eldar mug shot in Xenology. The wideness of the nose and the skin color are tau like.

ps movie looks awesome, i hope GW does a model line after it

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, how does that thing take that many bullets in the face/mouth and keep on coming? Even if only a small percentage hit it still has to hurt!
Life-forms from Pandora (the moon/planet that most of the movie is set on) have naturally occurring carbon-fibres laced throughout their bodies. This makes them very tough. I'm assuming that's why the Thanator could take that many shots to the head.

·
262 Posts

the assault rifle shots are 5.56 caliber, the c mag is same model for the m4 or hk416. a fast, presice round but low on stopping power, considering its on high carbon alien world, the rifle is a pea shooter

the big monster really looks like a krootox, is GW will sue James Cameron for this one ?

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Actually my first thoughts when I saw the avatar trailer a month or so ago included:
- wow
- awesome
- those guys look like guardsmen. Hey, they even have walkers!
- those Na'vi look like a mix of skinks and wood elves. Look at the charge on their 'horses' in the trailer, wild riders? And they are blue, slim ( elves and skinks both are ) ,climb trees and use "terradons"

Me being a fantasy player I thought they really looked like a skink-wood elf mix, hadn't considered 40K yet, but they live in high tech enviroments, not jungles :)

The movie looks cool and I am definately going to see it!

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
The big dog thing looks like a kroot/krootox - esque thing...strikingly, in my opinion. The dreds/flaps + the beak-ish maw are very similar.
Knarloc, it looks like a Great Knarloc. Time to goad him into battle.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
the big monster really looks like a krootox, is GW will sue James Cameron for this one ?

if laws would work like this fantasyland would have stopped developing after lord of the rings

theres enough difference in these two worlds as much as there is difference in Aliens or Zerg or Tyranids

·
179 Posts
I disagree

I disagree. Kroot and krootox have a chicken/lizard look. They are rangy, scaly, with overlapping plates of armour, and a pointed beak. They are mostly bipedal, except for the Krootox, which seems to be a biped but hunched over like a gorilla with powerful shoulders and a "knuckle walk." They have also got quills, like a porcupine, and a tiny bit like the Predator.

This beast is more like a huge muscular blue panther, with a head that is a cross between a ceratopsid dinosaur, and Daffy Duck in the cartoon where the 'artist' messes with him and replaces his head with, amongst other things, a big daisy, making those petal shaped parts behind the head. The beast runs like a cat or a lemur, on all fours. Its skin appears to be smooth, except for the strange plates and dangly tentacles or feelers. There is a sort of beak on it, but it seems to also have big 'gnashy' teeth - the Kroot just have a jagged beak.

I don't think there is much resemblance at all.

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.