Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
So after my past few weeks playing I must say I'm feeling a little down in the dumps....
I can't seem to kill anything with my railguns on my hammerheads.

They always set up for a sweet shot but either miss completly or roll a 1 for armour pen.

On friday I had a shot at a dreadnaught first turn. I hit then roll a 1 for my AP. He shoots back with his missle launcher.....hits....hahaha you can only get a glancing mate....rolls a 6.....boom. Dead hammerhead. As I was playing against a pretty much non vehicle marine army I had taken only 1 railhead....choosing to use that to take out his dread then sub munition his 10 man squads. I had taken an Ionhead to get that nice range and multi shot ap3 goodness...which he then shot with the same dreadnaught next turn. Got a hit....hahaha get another 6 I dare you....he rolls a 6. Boom. Another dead hammerhead.

So in 2 rounds he took out both my hammerheads.

I managed to get to turn 6 but lost the game 2 loot counters to my 1.

Anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
so after my past few weeks playing I must say I'm feeling a little down in the dumps....
I can't seem to kill anything with my railguns on my hammerheads.

they always set up for a sweet shot but either miss completly or roll a 1 for armour pen.

on friday I had a shot at a dreadnaught first turn. I hit then roll a 1 for my AP. he shoots back with his missle launcher.....hits....hahaha you can only get a glancing mate....rolls a 6.....boom. dead hammerhead. as i was playing against a pretty much non vehicle marine army I had taken only 1 railhead....choosing to use that to take out his dread then sub munition his 10 man squads. I had taken an Ionhead to get that nice range and multi shot ap3 goodness...which he then shot with the same dreadnaught next turn. got a hit....hahaha get another 6 I dare you....he rolls a 6. boom. another dead hammerhead.

so in 2 rounds he took out both my hammerheads.

I managed to get to turn 6 but lost the game 2 loot counters to my 1.

anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?
This is one of the main reasons I insist on taking Marker light support. I always take a Pathfinder squad (with TL equipped Ui) and a Skyray.
True it only helps with the to hit roll, but it has to be noted that to roll for damage a hit is always handy.:D
I also take the Skyray for its seekers, these are handy for taking out any armour (even AV14 with luck).

The other point thing is that I do not rely on the Hammerhead to take down lighter AV value vehicles (I usually use them more for the subs round), I use two Deathrain teams for this and they do a good job.
I also use a Helios commander solely as anti transport and he also does a good job at BS5 with an auto penetrating Fusion.

Everbody suffers from the Dice roll of doom every now and again, I find I tend to have very little trouble hitting but usually struggle with damage rolls (damned stunned results)

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
... anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?
Me too, mon twin, absolutely. Which is why I've started using XV88s with shield drones instead. Sure you don't get the nice ordnance pie-plate with them but I've yet to miss with my TL railguns (and boy do I use that re-roll!).

I never thought I'd ever leave home without at least 1 HH in any Army over 500pts, but recent experience to date has shown that a single shot is almost bound to miss on the turn that you need it most, hence the drift to XV88s instead.

~ Raven ~

·
Registered
316 Posts
Everbody suffers from the Dice roll of doom every now and again, I find I tend to have very little trouble hitting but usually struggle with damage rolls (damned stunned results)
This has been my problem of late.

I've been using my green dice. I keep thinking that the luck will come soon enough. But it isn't. One ended up getting chucked out of the window on friday. I'm at the point were I Can't affford to change the dice because the new luck may just be around the corner.....

Jeez....that all sounds so bad written down!! But no player no mater how good can win if the dice gods aren't with him!!

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
... but no player no mater how good can win if the dice gods aren't with him!!
True, mon twin, true. Which is no doubt why Napoleon was moved to say:

"Don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one".

And if that's what the great man himself thought, who are we to argue?

All of which makes taking TL weapons systems all that more important ... ... ...

~ Raven ~

Reactions: MindRaked

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
True, mon twin, true. Which is no doubt why Napoleon was moved to say:

"Don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one".

And if that's what the great man himself thought, who are we to argue?

All of which makes taking TL weapons systems all that more important ... ... ...

~ Raven ~
One Hammerhead with Railgun, XV88 2 man team with attached HQ Shas'o and Skyray. This to me = death to my opponents.. Railgun for subs, SV88 and Shas for armour killing and Skyray to help the hits and to provide nice Seeker missile goodness.
BS3 Hammerhead, twin linked XV88, BS5 Shas'O and Skyray to boost BS means very few misses, now if only ML's helped with damage rolls:|

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I'm having a moan and that the rail gun is amazing but its just frustrating that in my last 2 games it hasn't done a single thing of note. It happens. and yes Ive had the games where I've took out the monolith or land raider in the first turn but you remember the failures more than the successes!

Its just hard to take when last year my tau went undefeated in around 30 odd games. this year both of my games have been defeats!

thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one guys!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am not having any diffiulty with my hammerheads other than they get knocked out so easily. It is my skyray that is killing me. I managed to get a army down to one dreadnough. I launched 4 seekermissiles from my skyray. 3 missed and 1 didn't penatrate armour. How is that for luck when they hit on 2's and penatrate on 2's

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I tend to use my XV88's for tank hunting and tend to use my hammerhead almost exclusively for the submunition shot.

It is frustrating when you expose a 160pt vehicle to take a shot at an enemy vehicle only to fluff the dice rolls.

I once played a game where I fired 24 pulse rifle shots and only hit once. Gotta love dice. :?

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Oh. My. God. You must all bow in deference to my horrible luck.

Here it is: A 1,750 point tournament game against an easy Guard army (no bassies, Heavy terrain on my side).

Here it is. First turn, I line up my 2 hammerheads and 2 broadsides, as well as fireknife squad and deathrain squad. I have 2 leman russes in view, and 3 sentinels. Only these units could hope to shoot me next turn.

The result? 1 lascannon off of a sentinel.

Return fire? I lose a rail gun. And a broadside. I then roll the world's worst game. I roll a one for my last broadside armor save. Then 5 ones for deepstriking gundrones against rear armor. Crap.
Then double ones for a JSJ crisis team's difficult terrain test. Wow. Okay. More ones come. They go. I manage to not lose many more troops, but I just can't hit him.

Last turn, night fight. I hit with a railhead, second time in the game. Check spotting distance? Double Ones. Holy crap. I get triple ones with my Shas'El equipped with a TA. It is ridiculous.

Before the game, I take a dice, joke to my friends about my railgun luck, say that I am rolling for railguns now. I get 3 ones in a row. Then a two. Then a one.

My opponent literally gave me a hug.
But I managed a tie.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I like to think of it this way:

The intensity of your prayer to The Dice Gods should be inversely proportional to the number of dice you are rolling.

Therefore, when rolling those single die Railgun shots, pray your ass off.
Even with markerlights...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cheer up.

I have lost combat with 8 scything talons geensteelers versus 8 tau while i was on the charge!

I have won prizes for bad dice rolling in leagues... multiple times... some people have a black cloud over their heads.

So here's to you Charlie Brown!:drinking:

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
It's true. No matter how good you are, you can't beat the dice.

That's almost certainly my least favourite part of the game. They need to be there, but they're so...annoying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey.

I was the lucky chap with the dreadnought when xsickpeoplex rolled that 1 the other night - a very relieved man indeed.

As a guard and marine player, there's nothing I fear more than the Railhead. The S10 shot makes all my Russes/Dreadnoughts quiver, and that submunition round is amazing. First target every game without fail for sure.

Being one shot of course means each miss is crucial, where as a nice devastator squad with 4 Lascannons has the luxery of being able to handle a few misses at the same target and still take it down.

You can't moan too much though - best weapon in the game by a country mile.

Right, better get out of here before the Emperor sees my fraternising with you xenos types....

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Right, better get out of here before the Emporer sees my fraternising with you xenos types....
Or, indeed, if he sees how much you mangled his name! :)

(Nit-picker) ~ Ravenscraig ~

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoops, good point! I hope he was busy making sure 20,000 psychers were being sacrificed correctly....
Is that what we usually refer to as "taking the stun" Mr Tickle?

I think it is.

also as a side issue Imperial Smart is running from my challenge to replay he battle from last friday on this oupcoming friday evening. he seems to think the fact that he is playing a game before hand which means that our game won't start until midnight at the earliest a decent excuse!! I think he runs in fear of retribution!!

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Side issue

Riki? Did you get your title from "Portal"?

Oh and back on topic...

Don't worry about luck. that's the bit that makes it a game. Put your list together, try valiantly to smash your opponent and if it doesn't work out, well hey, fight again another day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.