Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now obviously on this section of the forum tomb kings are the more popular type of undead:p but I was wondering what people here think about vampire counts. How do they compare to tomb kings, what made you chose tomb kings over Vampire Counts? And overall I think undead armies are cool and although I play tomb kings I still think that vampire counts are just as awesome. Well, let's hear what people think about some smelly, rotten, brain-hungry dead guys led by albino bat-men, as opposed to our familiar friend, that rich guy wrapped in toilet paper who lives in an oversized triangle.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, there are two main reasons that I chose the TK over the VC:

• In terms of gameplay, it was described as a very reliable army.
  • There is more of a sense of the long age with the TK fluff.

There are of course vampires that are as old, but the overall feel of their army doesn't have that world-weary weight to it.

Oh, and none of my units look like the vomit brigade. :X Yeah, I'm looking at you zombies!

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Undead really didnt have much to do with it, when i began i purely chose the army which i liked the look of the best. Ushabti rule! :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm with Phoenix, the models (at the time) for Tomb Kings were nicer than those for Vampire Counts. Also in terms of rules Tomb Kings are actually very strong, especially when you play at 2; and above. Their magic is the best in the game and we have one of the 2 of the best war machines in the game. The New Vampires are better overall than the old ones, and in terms of a straight fight I think it will be alot closer now. Vampire Counts rules have come slightly closer to those of Tomb Kings, in terms of the amount of times they can cast a spell, the fact that any unit can be raised etc, so it will be interesting to see what they do to Tomb kings when they get redone.

In short if you want an aggressive, combat force which won't run away and is easier to play with, take Vampire Counts. If you want superior magic, shooting ability and sneaky tricks, try the tougher-to-play-with Tomb Kings.

Will

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I said earlier that I play tomb kings and the reason I chose them was because I liked the egyptian theme. Plus I like how in 7th edition my opponents are usually too scared to take wizards so I can just rule the magic phase muahhaha (needed a reason to do that) but if I played vampire counts it would probably be in a few years since I want to get my tomb kings up to around 4 or 5 thousand points then i might just use vampires since I'd already have a bunch of skeleton warriors so then I'd just need some zombies there some vampires here and presto! But really If I was going to play Vampires I would wait till I have a large enough tomb kings force.

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with Phoenix, the models (at the time) for Tomb Kings were nicer than those for Vampire Counts. Also in terms of rules Tomb Kings are actually very strong, especially when you play at 2; and above. Their magic is the best in the game and we have one of the 2 of the best war machines in the game. The New Vampires are better overall than the old ones, and in terms of a straight fight I think it will be alot closer now. Vampire Counts rules have come slightly closer to those of Tomb Kings, in terms of the amount of times they can cast a spell, the fact that any unit can be raised etc, so it will be interesting to see what they do to Tomb kings when they get redone.

In short if you want an aggressive, combat force which won't run away and is easier to play with, take Vampire Counts. If you want superior magic, shooting ability and sneaky tricks, try the tougher-to-play-with Tomb Kings.

Will
By the way I'm just wondering, if the screaming skull catapult is one of the two strongest war machines in warhammer, then what is the other one?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im thinking the other strongest warmachine is the Steam tank.

I havent played with my Tomb Kings yet, im actually still gathering them from different sources, but i was looking for an army to play to get a break from Orcs. I loved the fluff of the TKs and since im an ancient egypt fan, the army immediatly caught my attention.

Cant wait to have all the stuff i ordered in hand so i can spend countless hours glueing skeletons together and go play and some random little kid knocks them down and breaks them up and then i will have to go and glue them again ......sorry, got a bit sidetracked.

Besides, you cant go wrong with some pimp dekced in gold in a pimp-mobile-charriot owning bishes left and right with his pimp cane. 8Y

·
Registered
140 Posts
Honestly, I chose Tomb kings because the VC lacked Vampires and undead. Of course a few months after I chose TK they made everything undead and added vampires every where. CURSES!
I plan to stick with TK because I think the special/rare choices RULE, I like the egyptian theme, we can shoot, and lets face it, VC are just TK wannabes!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Toughest "war machine" would have to be the Dwarven Anvil. Needs no LOS, zap's the hell out of all T3 armies, knocks fliers down to ground movement, can move your units with it, and you can have a really good character on it.

Back on topic, I have a good 2k TK (and some) list and my buddy just picked up the VC box and is tweaking out a list, all I can say is at first glance it looks very broke... the ability to charge up the Black Coach with your own wizards and power dice is brutal. We'll see. The changes to the High Elves, then the VC lead me to believe that they are doing a typical marketing scheme. The next book is the best, then the next, then the next, like a power creep except with the plans to sell more models. <shrug>

I make decent money in my job and I still have a tough time keeping up with the new models, books, etc... Sure I have about 6-7 armies, but I have been playing for years. How on earth do kids get into this hobby when you are changing armies every few years and adding models, taking some away? I feel bad for anyone wanting to get into the hobby and not playing the newest army flavor of the month...

Cheers,

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well I started to play TK because I was unhappy about the "new" (6ed) beastman rules and they models was really nice looking.
I would never play VC, but I like they new horror theme and all they new models are really good in details.
But wait a year or 3 and TK is going to get a new book, models and by the look of it a TK themed rule...

And if anyone should ask the best warmachine is a goblin bolt thrower, cheap as hell, only a ½ special choice and does the same dmg as all other bolt thrower's...

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I actually have both VC and TK, though my VC are the 6th edition ones not the ones just released.

VC were first, but I was drawn to TK because of their sweet models. The skellies just look awesome, as do chariots. I didn't really know much about the rules until I got a bit of an army, being offered a second hand TK army cheaply was also a factor in pushing me across the sands. TK are a very awesome army, dead reliable troops and spells, lots of variety, brilliant models.

As for the new VC.. I haven't actually got the army book yet (not many of the new models impress me) but from what I have heard of them, they are now a very very powerful army. To the point of being almost scary. I might go back to them and rework my army to 7th ed at some stage, but for now I am focusing on my HE.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have both armies myself... my collection dates back to that beloved time when it was just pure undead! Tomb Kings and Vampires fought together...

Fond memories, so as a result I first started with a VC army as there was no tomb lings till a lot later...

They are both rewarding to play though but they feel different on the battlefield as you would expect and now with the new rules I think things are going to get a lot more competitive between the two...

Both are great though with some of the hardest characters in Warhammer...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I first started collecting what was 'Undead' years ago and still have my Nagash, Arkhan the Black, Krell and Heinrich Kemmler models now.

For me when I 1st started playing I wasn't a great painter and I wanted to get on with battles so a good technique of bone was all I needed.

When they split the armies up I had always been fascinated with Egypt and the Tomb Kings enabled me to use models that represented this. also they had some beautiful, (for dead), models.

As far as gaming is concerned Tomb Kings are one of the most complete armies out there. I know most people knock them for their lack of CC core unit but they more than make up for that with our excellent Special units and really can be built in a variety of ways all capable of giving any other army a run for its money. Also i just simply love the casket of souls and now that my painting is much better it's just simply the best looking model out there.

Add to this one of the best backgrounds and fluff and you simply have a awesome army. In fact I think I may leave my HE's at home this weekend at dust of my Tomb kings.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I would say the TK came off the best from the splitting of the Undead- they got great fluff and a really solid list, whereas I think the VC have suffered from a lack of focus for a while (although I like the new gothic look)

ive had my old Undead stuff in boxes for years and even though the new VC stuff is nice and pretty its still TK that im going to turn it into (largely because i like my old mummy minis and they are going to become my tomb guard!) particularly as im just finishing my Araby Dogs of War army- next stop is making a desert board and some pyramids!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts