Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea where to stick this, as it falls into a couple of different forums, so by all means if this is better suited elsewhere, excuse my ignorance and place it in its proper place.

I am new to the hobby, myself an a friend decided to get into it after many discussions of the 40k novels turning to how much we would like to do it; well we finally picked up our stones, covered our eyes and threw some money around like we had it in spades.

O.K., I am exaggerating a bit, we both used our wits and managed to get into the hobby without breaking ourselves. But like many others I imagine, we do not have tons of cash to throw at this and want to get the most out of what we have for as little as possible.

While we both work slowly, bit by bit at our armies of choice, the topic of things like scenery come up. Now, being a pretty heavy lurker of this (and other) forums, I have picked up a few things along the way. Here is a simple solution to a scenery problem I came up with this evening in a conversation with my friend: Boxes.

Yeah, that's not exciting at all.

This idea is probably no where near new, but it is simple. Take some boxes of whatever size you like, cut them up a bit for a ruined effect, add windows and such, then just give them a good spray with some cheap spray paint. You could go further and add in details, but the idea here is cheap, easy, and fast terrain. The boxes also have the benefit of being easily moved around.

Then I came across a product by Krylon, called "Make It Stone". I immediately thought this would be a great addition to the box idea. Anyone have any experience with this product and how it works?

Another thing that keeps coming up is our want to do some custom pieces, and be able to readily reproduce them. We are talking about something like a custom chapter logo that would be a raised piece off of a shoulder pad for instance. Basically a way to cast a mold of a small part, so we could make a couple dozen without the need for hand making each.

Another thing I have been thinking of late, to take some of the pain out of the paint, has anyone here used spray paint as a base coat? Pros, cons? My idea here is to reduce the time spent doing large areas of a single colour, and allowing for more attention to the small details. I can not imagine this being all that different than using an airbrush, I have experience with one from doing RC car bodies. I personally do not like the prep and cleanup that an airbrush brings. I was wondering what the general consensus was here.

I guess that is it for now, I work odd hours, so about this time of day my brain starts working a bit fuzzy like. I am sure I will have more to add later.

Again, if this is in the wrong place, apologies, see my note above for hopefully a passable excuse.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
There's some good ideas in there. One thing that has always troubled me is terrain; I take long enough building an army that I don't want to take even longer making hills and woods or cities for them to traipse around in. So I like the box idea quite a bit...

Another thing that keeps coming up is our want to do some custom pieces, and be able to readily reproduce them. We are talking about something like a custom chapter logo that would be a raised piece off of a shoulder pad for instance. Basically a way to cast a mold of a small part, so we could make a couple dozen without the need for hand making each.
I guess the easiest way would be to make your first part in greenstuff or something similar, make a mould of that in plaster or some other material that will hold its shape (for some reason I just thought of the linoleum carvings I saw back in high school - a possibility perhaps?) and then just squish more greenstuff in to that. It might work.

For painting logos and symbols, something I've been meaning to try is overhead transparencies. I find freehand difficult, but I thought if I could cut a template into an overhead transparency sheet, I could sort of use that as a template.

Like I said, I haven't tried the idea yet, though.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Another thing I have been thinking of late, to take some of the pain out of the paint, has anyone here used spray paint as a base coat? Pros, cons? My idea here is to reduce the time spent doing large areas of a single colour, and allowing for more attention to the small details. I can not imagine this being all that different than using an airbrush, I have experience with one from doing RC car bodies. I personally do not like the prep and cleanup that an airbrush brings. I was wondering what the general consensus was here.
I have
Pros:
-Reduces basecoat paint time
-It doesn't leave brush marks
-Doing it is fairly simple. Its basically the same as primering your models. I suggest using your regular primer color first, then spray painting the base coat color.
Cons:
-THe most major one I found is that it makes details and hard to reach places the same as the color used. This can be a pain, because when you don't intend for those areas to be that color, you have to paint over these areas. With details, applying too much paint can start making thick layers that obscure the details. When it comes to hard to reach places, the name explains itself.
-For some paints, like different sorts of silver, a bit of <insert color> can still be noticeable after applying the paint if your models weren't primered/base coated black, especially on some pieces where you want black shading in the recesses, such as frag grenades or chainmail. In this case, I suggest covering the parts you don't want sprayed <insert color>. Normally this works, but it can be difficult to cover small or unusually shaped parts.

In short, you already kind of have the idea: if you want to do it for something that is relatively plain, such as Space Marines (minus the bolters), or Rhino chassi, go for it. It makes things a lot easier. If its something with a lot of details, then I wouldn't suggest it because it can leave you with your basecoat color in unwanted places.

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
I would just spray it black. it will take more time to paint, but it will look better.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
First, and most important, welcome to the hobby!

Now, to your questions:

This idea is probably no where near new, but it is simple. Take some boxes of whatever size you like, cut them up a bit for a ruined effect, add windows and such, then just give them a good spray with some cheap spray paint. You could go further and add in details, but the idea here is cheap, easy, and fast terrain. The boxes also have the benefit of being easily moved around.
Some of the simplest and dumbest ideas I've ever seen have made some way cool scenery. Almost anything you can dream up to put on your table looks different (read: better) with a coat of spraypaint.

As to that product you mentioned, I don't know anything about it, but Krylon products are often highly recommended here in the forums by others who know more about such things than I.

There's a great thread here (Clicky!) that should answer all your questions on this.

While I don't do it myself, since I have an unnatural hatred for spraypaint, I must admit many, many players I've met and chatted with here use it with great results. There USED to be many GW paints available in Citadel spraypaint, but they've unfortunately discontinued many of them.

Still, there are many other paint and model companies that make spraypaint in various colors that would be "close enough" to GW's. Companies like Tamiya and Testors make stuff specifically for model painting. It's most useful, I'm told, on tanks.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
*whistles*

*points at sig*

As a suggestion, I find I get much more helpful advice/suggestions/opinions if I ask specific questions.

Start a thread in the painting forum asking specifically for info on using sprays as a base-cost, another thread in modelling about creating moulds (although you need to be careful about that one, as creating mould of GW minis is very illegal), and another thread in scenery about cheap 'n cheerful terrain...
Chances are you will get many more, and much more thought-through, responses from several individual posts than from one, catch-all post.

Just my opinion though, I may be wrong.

Finally, have a quick browse through the painting and modelling forums, paying specific attention to the pinned threads (especially the ones with 'helpful links' in), as there is plenty of good stuff in there, and occasionally people even know what they're talking about ^_^

-t.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.