Librarium Online Forums banner

Conversion Service? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to do conversions, but don't have the resources to constantly do them, so I thought I'd set up a conversion service.

Basically, you guys would say what you want done knowing that you need to send me the base models and if you have any of the nrequired bitz, I would require that you send the base model(s) and if possible the bitz and of course give me a good description of what you need done.

Now obviously this isn't aimed at the veteran modelers and such, but the new players that want a special commander or a nice leader for thier shiny terminators but don't have the skills yet for it.

I'm not sure about payment....I don't have anyway for cash payment right now, but I'm always looking for bitz and such...

All in all, good idea? Bad idea?

Mike

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
For new guys it is an interesting idea, but you could be in part depriving them of the opportunity to learn and enjoy doing conversions themselves, which is not a good thing.
Also, newbies probably won't have a very large selection of bitz to trade you, which could be another problem.

Another issue I have with it is that part of the joy (in my opinion) of converting, is knowing that not only do you now have a unique model, but that it was you who made it. I know that maybe not everyone thinks like that, but I do.

All in all, I can see where you're coming from with it, but think that to make it work somehow, it would need a lot of careful thinking, which, as far as I can see, you havent given it yet. Also, I would almost certainly never use it, for the reasons stated above.

But I don't think you should let me put you off, definately keep working at the idea and see if yo can make it work.
:yes:

-t.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats actually quite a good idea.
I've never heard of a "Conversion Service" before, but hell, if it works then continue on with it, I say!
Personally, I love converting models. But as you said if its for the beginners and the laziness of 40k players then yes, I support it!

HPA

·
Registered
788 Posts
Great Idea for those who don't WANT to convert. However I must agree that it would deprive fledglings. Yet you can fix that too. For the person who doesn't want to convert they can send goods and Ideas for you to convert, right. Then for the newbie, they could send ideas, goods and themselves so you can teach/show them how it is done.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
As with any business you would want to look at several things. First and foremost I would do a lot of research on the internet. Find as many similar sites out there that are doing what you want to do. See how much they charge and what kind of quality their work is.

Next you will want to establish a web presence. This is probably the most important. Then you will want to advertise your site as much as you can. Link it with as many search engines as possible and whenever you get the chance link back to your site (for example in your signature).

Pictures are everything on the internet so take lots of pictures and make sure that they are big enough and clear enough to showcase your work.

As for payment - one of the easiest things to do would be to set up a paypal account (however I believe you need a checking account and/or a credit card). You could also ask that they send you a money order.

Pricing should be fairly easy if you did your research. Remember looking at the sites that did comprable work to your level? Price your services somewhere near theirs. Remember cheaper is not always better. Don't sell yourself short or else it isn't worth doing. Don't be afraid to say no if you don't want to do it or it is beyond your level.

Hope this provides you with enough information to get started.

Cheers,

-mike

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, few things...

When I was saying it could work for new people with too little skill to do thier ideas properly (to do them justice).

I know a friend who has started somewhat recently and his modeling skills, aren't the best, plus he has a hard time with the model's theme, he wants to combine parts from differnet armys that have nothing in common. So my idea was kinda based off that experiance.

As far as payment goes, I'd try and do as little money as possible, as it can get complicated and arguements can crop up. Also, as far as bitz, say someone wanted for me to do a SM Commander using the new box set, it could be said I make the model using some of the bitz, he requests that certain bitz are returned, but I can keep the rest, with maybe something extra depending on the conversion.

Don't forget, as soon as you buy one box of models, you have bitz.

Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
I kinda think its a bad idea for most people because converting is IMO the best part of these games and I would rather do it myself than have to pay for something I didn't do. Although I could get you to convert a complicated model around the next contest to boost my chances of winning :shifty: (If you start up this little buissness)

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Catachan Devil said:
I kinda think its a bad idea for most people because converting is IMO the best part of these games and I would rather do it myself than have to pay for something I didn't do. Although I could get you to convert a complicated model around the next contest to boost my chances of winning :shifty: (If you start up this little buissness)
There is more interest in conversions and painting that you could imagine. Not everyone has an interest in building and painting the models.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Well, I agree that this may cause some people to miss out on one of the coolest aspects of the hobby, but, given my position, I'll have to vote for it.

See, I don't see very well, and it's taken years and years of practice for me to reach a very, VERY basic level of skill. I've been painting GW minis for more than 11 years now, and there are newbies that have just gotten into the hobby that paint better than I do, because I can't see what I'm doing.:tongue:

This also goes for converting. I've got a few ideas for converted models that I'll probably never be able to go through with because I lack the vision to do it. From my standpoint, I'll have to vote this idea IN, because it could come in very handy.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Hmm.. I'd say conversion services are OK, but will provide no great income to you, unless you are master class worker with good ideas, concepts and also a professional sculptor.

Conversion services isn't a bad area to tap into, but the only thing i'd say would be your capabilities? Not saying your bad at modelling, but conversion business is indeed hard, and I wouldn't even be able to do it, let alone for my own army.

So in order to really recommend for you to explore into this maybe show some works first?

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not doing it for profit gains, I'm no master modeler, just someone trying to do what I love for others.

Also I'm not starting it here, just throwing out the idea to the sharks that like repeating obvious points after I've adressed them...

I'm not trying to take away the oiption of conversion from people who want/can do it, it's not like I'll be forcing them to let me do it, I'll be concentrating on new players who want a nice commander or whatever but don't have the bitz, skills and what ever to do it.

Thertes still alot to do, biggest thing will be to expand the ranges that I have bitz from, right now I got mostly SM, IG and some Tau stuff, not to say I'll have every bit I need.

Still alot of work to be done before I can start.I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts