Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have an ethereal yet, but how often do you field yours?
I was talking to a guy at the local GW store, and he says that he NEVER takes a Shas'o. The ethereal has always proved to be more useful, he claims. But who here also fields the Ethereal?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't, although I have one. I only field it when I REALLY need it. I mostly use one Shas'o and one Shas'el Battlesuit commander. I love battlesuits! The ethereal has never really helped me out when I needed it too.....so yea......thats my opinion....

·
Registered
44 Posts
My ethereal has helped me out a bunch of times. When my battlesuits, or firewarriors get into the messy close combat (unfortunately for them) I can rely on my ethereal to pull them out! This is very useful because I would rather be in rapid fire range than point blank and close encounters. My Crisis suits have been pulled out from some sticky situations especially from being pinned from a basilisk...darn instant kill. Anyway I really like Aun'shi...he is pretty cool, I have killed many necrons with him and one squad of firewarriors, atlhough I do believe that they should be kept out of sight or hidden alongside troops because I think they are best keeping the firewarriors/suits/etc. in order. They are not that expensive and they usually help the troops stay at max. efficiency...it's almost like having fearless troops that are smart enough to cautiously, not fearfully fall back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree with darkjonin59, though the rule in the codex makes it really confusing about re-rolling stuff they are very useful in keeping fw's from running, i play this tyrannid guy and he always seems to get 1 or 2 hommagaunts in cc w/my fw's. Rather than have them run off the board they do quite well (yes i have won a close combat with my fire warriors) specially when they r on the board edge to keep away from wigged mof's

·
288 Posts
I have a Ethereal but almost never use him. I'm too caught up in the super unit that the Shas'o + Bodyguard makes. Besides, the drawback of the Ethereal is something I don't want to worry about.

Try him in your games, see for yourself how it affects your gameplay and results.

Enjoy,
Jon

·
Registered
166 Posts
ethereals are great fun in painting and if your lucky in batle they will work very well to let you pass some nasty tests. only make sure he doesn't get killed. hes got a low points

--for the greater good--

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm curious, does everybody go with the honour blade or is he better off 10 pts cheaper and with an extra attack? I think his normal baton thingies look pretty lame, so I'm trying to decide now how I want to model him.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you seriously want to use the Honour blade...... just buy an Aun'shi Model and convert it to have a bigger cape, by whatever means possible. Personally I most likely will never upgrade to an Honour blade, thats 10 points that can used on Battlesuit Hard wires instead. That's what I think anyway......

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah i dont spend the 10 points because i try to keep him away from hth, so he doesnt get killed. But thats IF i take witch i dont usually, i bond my unit instead.

·
Registered
222 Posts
sometimes you can use his effect the opposite way. instead of rerolling to pass, i could reroll passed ld tests to purposely fail them.

running aways sometimes gets you away from cc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Originally posted by Rhino Driver@Nov 5 2003, 16:55
sometimes you can use his effect the opposite way. instead of rerolling to pass, i could reroll passed ld tests to purposely fail them.

running aways sometimes gets you away from cc.
Yeah thats true but i dont think the cost of failure is worth it, it just to big a chance to take.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use the ethereal if you need to keep your fire warriors in place no matter what. For example, any mission where you need to hold an objective or keep a large portion of your army on the board, the moral re-roll is invaluable.

The last battle I used my ethereal for was a meat grinder where i was defending vs black templars. The re-roll helped me weather the storm and prevented my troops running off the table simply because they had taken 25% casualties.

Nostromino

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am starting to take one more, especially in larger point armies. Then I usually don't take shas'uis with my fire warriors, or even pathfinders if I used them much at all. It certinaly gives people who know Tau something to try and take out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.