Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Son of Dorn
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to come up with a unique idea to base my fluff for my TS around. I want them to be a cabal that is small and elite. Their purpose or for lack of a better word, quest, is to break into the Black Library. Instead of having them just looking around the webway like Ahriman I wanted something different. The Sorceror Lord in my cabal doesn't think that Ahriman will ever suceed because the Eldar and Harlequins will do anything to prevent it. The entire Eldar race will come together to prevent this from happening. So he has decided to go about it a different way. He searches Necron Tomb worlds for evidence to how the Necrons battled the Edlar and how they came so close to defeating them. He reasons that if he can find out how this conflict played out he will find some secret weakness or another way into the Black Library.

What I don't know is what kind of knowledge a TS Sorceror will have of the Necrons. Would he know enough to even know that they were in a great war with the Eldar and if so would he even know of the C'tan? I just want to know how feasible this is. Would the Necrons even know of the exisitance of the Black Library? Did it even exist when the war between the Eldar and Necrons was waged. I appreciate all the help.

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
The fluff conflicts a bit over this issue. The C'tan nearly wipe out everyone in the galaxy, and then go into hibernation from the Enslaver Plague,waiting to come out again. But the Eldar civilisation builds (apparently unnoticed by the C'tan) and gets all decadent and stuff, the Fall happens etc etc. So in answer to your last question, no it didn't exist during that war, but the fluff on that is now -incredibly- messy.

And he probably would have heard of the C'tan, but I'm not sure exactly how much he would know, and thus know about the war with the Eldar. The C'tan aren't exactly ones for keeping neat and tidy records.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Let me just point something out for future reference: the Necrons did in fact keep records in the form of a highly mathematical sine-script (Whether it's mathematical or not is based on pure conjecture) and since the Necrontyr had an advanced understanding of science compared to even the Eldar, they were probably able to write down their history in heavily encrypted form so that only those who had reached the same level of understanding could read it. Obviously, the Adeptus Mechanicus has not yet been able to translate the script and I do not think it's comprehensible to the Eldar either, so I doubt it would be comprehensible to anyone else in the galaxy. Well, maybe Tzeentch, but that's another story.

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
While it's a nice idea, it's not totally feasible with existing fluff, as has been said. Necrons are incredibly advanced - their weaponry, their information storage, etc. Although as i said, the idea is good. The only problem is, anyone with the ability to figure out necron tech is long dead. It could be an idea that the sorcerer is searching for some Necron tablets to perform an arcane ritual or something - but it's nice to see someone not going with the norm as regards thousand sons squads.

As a guideline if you're going to change it, Tzeentch fluff always works well if you include something based around the search for knowledge (as you have done) and also some form of manipulation, as Tzeentch rarely sets his followers a single goal - often that character's goal is simply a tiny part of another person's plan.

LoC

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Remember that knowledge about the Necrons is also very limited.. The best minds in the Ordo Xenos are still only just starting to work out what they're up against. Chaos has had limited contact with the Necrons since they awoke, so it's difficult to see them having more information than the Imps who have bourne the brunt of their aggression.

·
Son of Dorn
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the way C'tan stored thier information called the necroteuch? It was mentioned in the Eisenhorn book Xenos. But they could read it then so I guess it would be a stretch. Could I have my Sorceror looking for a copy of it? Even though both of the last copies were destroyed by Eisenhorn my Sorceror could believe that there is another somewhere. I am just trying to pin down a basic Idea that is still in the range of the accepted fluff.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sanctus said:
Is the way C'tan stored thier information called the necroteuch? It was mentioned in the Eisenhorn book Xenos.
No, the Necroteuch was a Daemonic book not Necron. As a way of gaining information about the Necrons, is it not impossible that your Thousands Sons captured a scholar (Eldar Farseer, Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, Heretic Adeptus Mechanicus member..) and tortured them for information about the Necrons? Then interested in the information, they tracked down a tombworld seeking to raid it for information/weapons technology?

While I doubt the current fluff implies they'd be very successful, they could at least be making the attempt. Oh and don't forget fluff indicates that the warp is the power that drove the C'tan away/is anathema to them. Perhaps he could be trying to harness the ancient powers in a way that they were so powerful as to drive away the C'tan?

I remember in an article somewhere (I forget where exactly, it may have been codex Necrons, Codex EOT or on the EOT website) saying that the Ctan's first target is the Eldar, then it is to destroy Chaos and prevent what happened last time, with the Imperium in third place (they aren't really the major target yet). Seems like it could be linked in to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Necrons: Fleshy beings that became metal beings
TS: Also Fleshy beings that became metal beings

Seems to me that the Thousand sons would have a fairly healthy interest in the Necrons, being as they have things in common. Perhaps trying to find a cure to the rubric or trying to perfect the rubric of ahriman. Departs from your original idea but it is more general so might allow more play with the fluff.

What do you think?

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
True, but on the other hand..

Thousand Sons - Former humans bound to their armour by the infernal energies of the warp while their bodies have burned away to dust.

Necrons - A psychically stunted race who never did know much about the warp to begin with confined to metal shells by the arcane magi-technology of the C'tan.

There's unlikely to be many meaningful insights to be had there.. Unless the sorcerer in question has only a very sketchy outline of what he's dealing with (fine if he's clueless.. not so fine if he's mindraped a inquisitor or eldar for information on the subject) he's likely to be at least dimly aware that he's onto a no hoper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts