Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This is the wonderful forgeworld Dread I got a few months back, he's finally 98% complete. Would love to hear some feedback and comments.

·
Banned
68 Posts
*sniff*

What a beautiful model, and a kickass paint job!

I think nothing but 1k sons when I see this masterpiece!

LX :D

·
I killed Alpharius
352 Posts
Nice work:). Maybe push the blue highlights a bit more, that's just me being fussy. Why only 98% complete:?.

-Dwayne

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
Well I'm going to be picky.

With the yellow/gold on the body, I noticed that It appeared a bit thick and in places the blue showed through underneath. I think the problem here is coverage and impatience. I think in order for that paint to cover, you applied it too thickly losing much of the smooth texture on the yellow/gold. To overcome this I would recommend using a white base coat on those parts and doing many thin coats of the yellow/gold colour to build it up. Once thier you could blend in some bleached bone and white to lighten the yellow colour to highlight the edges.

On the same part I also saw some overpaint (especially on the back and on the arms). I hate overpaint. It causes me the most grief and everyone else here too, I'm willing to bet. But you need to fix those bits up.

As a general comment more highlighting would really help this model along.

Hope this helps.

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work:). Maybe push the blue highlights a bit more, that's just me being fussy. Why only 98% complete:?.

-Dwayne
Well I'm going to be picky.

With the yellow/gold on the body, I noticed that It appeared a bit thick and in places the blue showed through underneath. I think the problem here is coverage and impatience. I think in order for that paint to cover, you applied it too thickly losing much of the smooth texture on the yellow/gold. To overcome this I would recommend using a white base coat on those parts and doing many thin coats of the yellow/gold colour to build it up. Once thier you could blend in some bleached bone and white to lighten the yellow colour to highlight the edges.

On the same part I also saw some overpaint (especially on the back and on the arms). I hate overpaint. It causes me the most grief and everyone else here too, I'm willing to bet. But you need to fix those bits up.

As a general comment more highlighting would really help this model along.

Hope this helps.
Phormio makes some really good points, and a lot of why it's only 98% complete is what i started to see once I took pictures.

Phormio, what exactly do you mean by overpaint?

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
Overpaint - If you look at the picture of the back of the Dread, on the decorative boarder on the left hand side where the exhaust pipes lead into, the yellow boarder has a blue smudge on it that's obviously not meant to be there (I hope this is clear enough directions to spot). I call that overpainting where you accidently paint over in a different colour another area. So in this case where the boarder is supposed to be yellow, it has blue on it, and that will have to be repainted to fix it up.

Sorry if this explaination isn't very clear, it's just the best way I can put it ATM.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Sorry if this explaination isn't very clear, it's just the best way I can put it ATM.
To use the example of a kid's colouring book, you've coloured outside the lines a bit.

·
Eternal Crusader
1,968 Posts
If your not comfortable highlighting by hand try shading the gold areas with the new brown washes to make the gold pop.

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay that makes perfect sense actually, I wasn't sure if you were referring to overbrushing (as described in the GW books) one of the guys who "taught" me how to paint sometimes called it by other terms.

I do plan to ink the gold with brown ink before it's completely said and done. Thanks for the great feedback guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now that's well done. ^^

It also makes me feel better about my own painting abilities cause that looks about how well I'd paint. :D

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that's well done. ^^

It also makes me feel better about my own painting abilities cause that looks about how well I'd paint. :D
...Thanks for the compliment...I think... **I hate that you cant tell the difference between honest compliments and sarcasm** Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll find the time to finish up the detail work on him and on the rest of my chaos army and get whole army composites up. I'm up to just under 1850 total.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alot of what i saw has been pointed out.. but one tini question.. and i know you said you almost done.. but what about metalic areas.. such as leg joints/ pistons.. gonna leave them black or paint them any colors.. or are they already painted and my computer just suks?... lol

Betan:skeleton:

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alot of what i saw has been pointed out.. but one tini question.. and i know you said you almost done.. but what about metalic areas.. such as leg joints/ pistons.. gonna leave them black or paint them any colors.. or are they already painted and my computer just suks?... lol
They are awaiting a drybrushing/highlighting of fortress or codex grey to highlight the edgeing. At the moment they are Adeptus battlegray

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback, I've hit a snag in my life, and though I've completed this model (i'll post pictures later) I have to get rid of it. Thanks again for all the feedback.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
It might be the pictures or my intoxicated state but the model looks kinda flat to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its a nice model with a decent enough paint job. But sorry to criticize here, i feel that the model doesn't really stand out at me. I mean it that i find it a little bit bland without major highlighting or details which make me go, "Wow!" I would consider it good enough for tabletop standard though and its definitely above average.

On the other hand, it might just be the camera you are taking the picture with. :)

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I think most things have been covered, it is a generally neatly painted mini. However, the blue looks very flat, as does the gold. A brief shading to the gold and highlighting of the blue should fix them to a suitable level. As mentioned, the back of the legs could really do with looking at; personally I would have painted them silver and just done a heavy black wash. That is a very quick and easy method to do. =)

Kuffy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.