Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was planning on starting a thousand son army cuz i really like them. i planned on using ahriman and 3 squads of TS but i feel like it may be to point heavy. what is everyone elses thoughts on this

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
They absolutely slaugther marines with them, but you're gonna have problems with armour.
I would recomend rhino transport for the Sons and some serious anti-tank weaponry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's exactly what I wanted to do in the beginning,
problem is as Gabriel Octavius wrote.

You will need transport (Rhinos) plus antitank, I'd go for Obliterators,
and another problem you'll have, Ahriman is not immune to instant dead,
so he needs to be in a squad all the time, and then not all his powers are usefull all the time.

I guess it really depends on what you wanna play, friendly games or competative?

Feel free to take a look where my army is atm (link in signatur), I think that's still lots of Tzeentch feeling but not too much to not be effective anymore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fluff?

As an "all comers" army, I don't think you'd be very competative. As a fluff army, I think you'd have fun. If you knew you were playing against 5 squads of tactical marines, you'd DOMINATE!
I would also like to put in a vote for Obliterators. Also, deepstriking Termis? Perhaps give them an IoT and kit them out with 4 combimeltas and a chainfist. That should be good for antitank... :)
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
If you like it then go for it--there's more to this hobby than winning Grand Tournaments. You'll need a couple contingency units for things like horde opponents but that doesn't make a TS list not viable.

Personally, I don't think TS squads need Rhinos. They all have a special weapon, can move without penalty and are resistant to ordnance. Few enemies these days will want to (or even be able to) refrain from charging into rapidfire range.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
points limit would be nice, how about rhinos with chosen and melta guns?? supported by oblitorators or defilers for anti-tank long range fire support.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friends and I find that 2000 pt games are the most fun without having too much. Also the list will probably never see a tounry eve tho I wish it could

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ahriman is dead hard, but he really needs to be kept with a squad. Ideally, stick him with some chosen and bung them in a rhino, or if you feel really fancy a land raider. Downside is you're looking at almost 600 points all in one vehicle...

Ahriman can use 3 powers a turn, so you can winds of chaos, warptime, and have his force weapon ready for an assault.

I use a normal chaos sorcerer lord, 5 chosen with 2 plasma pistols in a rhino. They cant go toe to toe with the harder CC units in the game, but they can at least give my opponents a nasty surprise.

I also stick with 2 land raiders, each with a squad of thousand sons in it. yeah they cost alot of points but meh, they look cool and AV 14 all round means they keep my precious marines alive for awhile.

I play thousand sons purely as a fluffy fun army, if i want to play competitive i'll stick with my guard

·
464 Posts
I love my 1ksons a lot. They might not be as hard as nails as plague marines but people get scared of them and for good reasons. They will however need help when it comes to H2H. They will tarpit the enemy when in close combat but chances are, they will die. I might run some units of normal CSM. Give them an ocn of tzeench if you want to be fluffy, but I would never leave home without at least one unit of normal marines.

You may also consider Daemon princes with Tzeench and some Oblits.

·
Registered
212 Posts
With my 1k sons army ive thrown in some termies and possessed for CC ability, if nothing else they can keep a unit stoic for a while, the only problem with 1k Sons is that, to a horde player an AP3 bolter is as good as an AP5 bolter to them, but it can defiantly put some sweat on the brow of more mechanized army commanders.

-Danny-

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Against MEQ's or anything with a 3+ or 4+ save, they are gold. Against horde armies with crap armor, you are better off with regular bolters. They suck in close combat too, with no extra attack with pistol/ccw. The 4++ is good against weapons that chew through power armor though.

·
464 Posts
Against MEQ's or anything with a 3+ or 4+ save, they are gold. Against horde armies with crap armor, you are better off with regular bolters. They suck in close combat too, with no extra attack with pistol/ccw. The 4++ is good against weapons that chew through power armor though.
against hoard, it is not all that bad if you take Wind of Chaos....I have been taking it a fair bit as of late and have seen it do great things...Marines wet their pants a little when it comes out and I have killed a good number of orks with that template as well. They do suck in CC and most people know that...Taking Warptime will make some people rethink who they send in to lay the smack down with, but at best you could hope for is a tar-pit situation and an expensive one at that.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
I might be thinking a little old school here, but I'd bring a few Bolt of Changes to use against the lighter armor so that your "heavier" AT weapons can concentrate on the big stuff. I also think that Warptime would be helpful, as CC is a weakness of the Thousand Sons.

And WTF is up with these stupid audio ads all over LO now, I had to disable two of them just while I was typing this little post. Yikes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
So I may be failing to see something in the codex here, but I'm unsure as to why CC is a "weakness" to the Thousand Sons. I'm aware that they lose an attack due to only being equipped with a bolter, but they still have the same WS, S, T and I as any Marine, they have a Force Weapon equipped to their Sorc and the upside of not auto removing a unit due to a PW or PF thanks to the awesome Inulnerable Save. I know our other units are better at fist fights than they are, but I wouldn't auto count them out if they get tangled into combat. Thanks to the awesome AP of their bolter shots, alot of CC troops (Berzerkers, Gaunts, Genestealers, etc) are usually much smaller in size by the time they want to attack the TS and are usually not nearly as much of a threat.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Ghost, their ineffectiveness in close combat has more to do with their sheer cost, which doesn't provide much versatility or stamina when it comes to basic melee attacks. You end up paying 7 more points for a model that has half the number of c.c. attacks of a basic marine.

Plus, most wounds in a squad are inflicted by basic combat weapons, which is why plague marines do so well; whereas TSs' inv save only benefits them against elite models, such as sergeants, monstrous creatures, and the likes (genes, harlis, etc). This, coupled with no way for dealing with walkers, makes them sub-par in hand-to-hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts