Librarium Online Forums banner

Three battle reports (aka Last Saturday)

890 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mechatius 
#1 · (Edited)
ALL MISSIONS ARE CLEANSE AND ON A 6'x4' BOARD

First – 750pts Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle
Me: Eldar
HQ

Heavy Support
Wraithlord
Troops
2 - 10xDire Avengers, exarch, blade storm, dual shuriken catapults
Fast Attack
7xSwooping Hawks, exarch, Hawks Talon, Skyleap, Intercept

Him: Sisters of Battle
HQ

Cannoness – Mastercrafted power weapon, jump pack, plasma pistol
Elite
Inquisitor – bolt pistol (nothing else)
Assassin (the one that isn’t the Culexus, Vindicare or anti psyker one)
Troops
Two squads of sisters in Rhino’s with Heavy flamer and a flamer in each squad
Heavy Support
Two Immolators with twin-linked Heavy Bolters.

I set up first and he goes first.
Turn 1 SoB
Move
His infiltrated assassin moves directly toward my wraithlord (boy I sure didn’t see that coming…) Cannoness moves forward 12 in (in the open!) and his mounted squads move into opposing adjacent quarters. Immolators move 6 in into line of sight of my Avatar. Inquisitor hides behind bushes and does nothing.
Shoot
Immolators open up on Avatar – no wounds; assassin shoots at wraithlord – no wounds; cannoness shoots plasma pistol at Avatar – no wounds.
Assault
Assassin charges 12 in to Wraithlord, gets ten attacks (d6 = 6 + 4 regular), lots hit, 4 wound, no armour saves allowed, bye bye Wraithlord…

Eldar Turn 1
Move
Swooping hawks stay midfield, Avatar moves toward Cannoness, Avengers move into adjacent quarters and hug cover.
Shooting
Avatar takes sweet revenge and instant kills cannoness with Wailing Doom (S8 AP1), Swooping hawks shoot assassin to death (w00t). Avengers fleet pathetically but remain in cover.
Assault
Nothing

This was the most exciting part of the game… One Rhino (with squad inside) played cat and mouse around scenery with my swooping hawks and Dire Avengers for 4 more turns and then retreated (still contesting the quarter). My avatar sustained two wounds from heavybolters and then hid behind some ruins as the immolators continued to retreat 6 in each turn and shoot. My other dire avengers couldn’t do jack because he wouldn’t close in with his mounted squad, as my Avatar was in the proximity. Turn 5 my swooping hawks skyleaped in a desperate bid for a win. Turn 6 they returned behind a rhino – preceded to destroy it with a glancing hit. (btw grenade pack aimed at the inquisitor scattered to open ground). The points for the rhino kill pushed me up to a solid victory.

GAME 2 - 1450 pts (because I can’t muster any more!)
This game the worst gaming experience I have had.
My list
HQ
Farseer – Doom, Fortune and Mind war, singing spear, Runes of Witnessing and the other upgrades I can’t remember right now.
Troops
3x 10xDireavenger Squads – Exarch, pw+shimmershield, Bladestorm and Defend.
Elite
10x Howling Banshees
Heavy Support
1x Wraithlord w/ brightlance and twin flamers.
Fast attack
10x Swooping Hawks, Exarch, Hawk’s Talon, Intercept, Skyleap.

His List
HQ
Cannoness with awesome gear… 2+ save, eviscerator other coolness stuff
Elite
Inquisitor w/ plasma pistol and psychic hood
Same Assassin as last game
Fast Attack
Seraphim (about 8 I think)
Troops
2 SoB squads (10) with Heavy and normal flamers mounted in rhinos
2 SoB squads (10) on foot with 3 Storm bolters per squad.

Heavy Support
Two immolators with twinlinked heavy bolters
Retributor squad (5) with 4 heavy bolters

THE GAME (or what there was of it…)
He went first
SoB Turn 1
Move
Cannoness and seraphim 12 inches into the open in adjacent quarter (bad move). Assassin moves 6 in at Wraithlord (surprise surprise). Transports move toward adjacent quarters as do the footslogging squads.
Shooting
Assassin shoots at Wraithlord for no result. Retributors, immolators and 3 stormbolters open up on Avatar – trillions of hits – 1 wound – not saved…LOL!
Assault
Assassin Assaults Wraithlord – 5 attacks (d6 = 1), two unsavable wounds. Wraithlord punches his head in w00t (1 wound – instant kill).
Eldar turn 1 – The beginning.
Move
Banshees and two dire avenger squads move into adjacent quarter with some cover. Other dire avengers squad moves from cover into LoS of Seraphim and Cannoness. Swooping Hawks move 12in over terrain toward cannoness and Seraphim. Wraithlord and Farseer move toward Cannoness/Immolator. Avatar (fortuned now) moves straight at retributors/immolator/footsloggers.
Shooting
Avatar shoots at Immolator, no result. Dire avengers shred 6 Seraphim with bladestorm – the remaining two flee a fair distance. Farseer attempts to Mind war cannoness, beats the inquisitors Psychic Hood, but is blocked by some other stupid 5+ save the cannoness had. Swooping hawks shoot cannoness and leave the skank on one wound. Wraithlord shoots immolator for no result.
Assault
Swooping Hawks assault cannoness – no wounds. She strikes back and kills one. They stand their ground.

Turn 2 – the end??
Move
Seraphim regroup. Unloads one Rhino within rapid fire distance or my avatar, and moves footsloggers within rapid fire range.
Shoot
Shoots my (fortuned) Avatar with retributors, Immolators, two whole squads rapid firing and 3 stormbolters – uses four Faith points to make rolls of 6 to hit AP1 (still get my 4+ invulnerable). Gazillions of hits, few wounds, 1 wound is unsaved. He gives up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assault
NO ASSAULT HE GAVE UP!!!! WTF!!!! WHO GIVES UP IN A FRIENDLY GAME!!!!!!!! RAGE !!!!!!!!!

Then he wants to play another 750 point game so he can have a chance to win one. Being a good sport (but really angry/disappointed inside) I play. He won convincingly – Wraithlord failed his wraithsight test for the first two turns, which really cost me the game, (the risk of not taking a pskyer did not pay off), Avatar raged around the field, killing the cannoness and inquisitor (he kept his immolators out of range of everything so I had no chance to kill them). My swooping hawks got annihilated by the cannoness (because I forgot to skyleap 3 turns in a row lol) but wounded the assassin with shooting. Dire avengers killed assassin in CC and were the heavy flamered then flamered then rapidfired to oblivion (as I was relying on my wraithlord to come alive in turn two  and kill the rhino). His squads hid in their rhinos for virtually the whole game, and I couldn’t catch them with 6in per turn moves. I ended up with a scoring unit of DA and the avatar, wraithlord failed two from two armour saves and was not counted. I played rashly cause I was still pissed off about the previous game.
I really don’t like his win at all cost attitude toward the game (taking 3 times longer for a turn than I do, designing his army list for winning not for fun (in 1450 (max points for me) I have no flexibility so I bought fun models to use, being a poor sport etc).
That's my rant.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why bother so much? You obviously outclassed him so badly he surrendered. That means you won. Big. By turn 2.
I admit that it's a lack of fighting spirit to surrender on turn 2, but just think of it as a crushing victory (by turn 2) and be happy!
If I'm also allowed to play the devil's advocate, most of us play to have fun. If I believe I don't have a fighting chance, I'm not going to enjoy the game. If one of the players is not enjoying the game, it might be better to call it off. In this case however, I think he threw in the towel prematurely.

#3 ·
You do make a valid point. It just annoyed me thats all and I needed a whinge :p

I've been playing Warhammer games for over a decade and this was the first conceded game I have heard of in all that time. Although I am aware that tournament players often concede when they are aware of imminent defeat.

Thanks

#5 ·
I've been playing Warhammer games for over a decade and this was the first conceded game I have heard of in all that time. Although I am aware that tournament players often concede when they are aware of imminent defeat.
I've had many more people give up in friendly games than in tournaments. Tournament games are typically played out to see the level of victory / objective qualifications even if a loss in inevitable.

And while that surrender might have been premature, it's ridiculous to want to force your opponent to keep playing when the game is over. It's like saying to someone "no, you can't give up - I want to kill every single model you have because that makes me feel good, who cares about you."

#4 ·
Personally, I fully understand the annoyance at your opponent conceding. It is highly annoying both directly on your side (you didn't really win) and on his side (he gave up). I greatly dislike it when people concede games, since there is always the chance that you can pull a victory (or at least a draw) from a bad situation (it has happened to me more than once).

It is particularly egregious in this case since it looks like he gave up when he still had most of his forces. Considering most of the Eldar's forces only had 4+ saves, he is packing a heck of a lot of flamers. He may not of one, but a lesser defeat is incredibly better than the abject failure of giving up.

#6 ·
I will agree that yes, when they are totally screwed that it is OK to surrender, but the majority of the times I have seen people surrender (in person or in battle reports) they usually give up well before they reach that point. They have one bad turn and just give up. That is what I do not like.

#7 ·
Even though I think it's ok to give up if one is chanceless, not doing so might be rewarding also.
Recently, I fought a 1000pts take and hold against a witchhunter army. When I started my second turn I had lost 4 raptors and the iconbearer and lord fled (despite Icon of Chaos Glory), one of my standard marine units where almost down at half strength in the open and the last marine unit were well in cover but far back (due to a bad difficult terrain roll), and I had to deepstrike my terminators either far back or in the open. Only the unharmed marine unit ever reached the objective holding it against the massed space nuns for 3 or 4 whole turns taking somewhere in the vicinity of twice their number with them before they perished on turn 5 or 6. Changed the result from victorious slaughter to crushing victory for my opponent. In my eyes, that was worth fighting for even if I was pretty much screwed by the beginning of my turn 2. (That and the look on my opponents face when the marines just wouldn't die. :p)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.