Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered why GW has never put in a rule on using grenades during the shooting phase. Like being able to throw them 6'' and stuff. What do you guys think?

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
That's a tough one. I'd like to see it, but it could easily become much too powerful. One idea I've had is to throw a grenade marker (a token), and then have it delay 1 turn before it scatters and blows up. It won't kill very many models that way, but it could be an interesting way to influence enemy movement. The only thing to worry about then is how much it might slow down the game.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
Perhaps every unit should just throw D3 grenades if they got 'em, unless the number of models is less (so two Guard remaining could only throw 1 or 2). The rest of the unit would just fire guns as normal. Also, I think the grenades could have a 12" range if they used my idea above. It's not a powerful attack after all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya those are some pretty cool ideas. The problem I see people running into is spamming grenades if they used a blast template. It would be cool to use grenades instead of shooting your guns and give them a str 2 or 3 with ap- and treat them like as a non-blast weapon to avoid that. Also I do like the idea of scatter to influence enemy movement but that may make the game take longer having grenades explode in opponents movement phase. Thanks for the input thus far.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi all.
I think grenades could be used as a single thrown weapon attack proir to assault type weapon?
As the closest model may want to toss a grenade at the enemy unit to soften them up , before charging tnto close combat....

This way a frag grenade rng 12" str 3 Ap- 3" blast, or a krak grenade rnge 12"Str 6 ap 4 could be used as a single thrown weapon attack.

Resolving ONE grenade attack prior to an assault is not going to bog the game down too much is it?

Just a thought...

TTFN
Lanrak.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
That's a tough one. I'd like to see it, but it could easily become much too powerful. One idea I've had is to throw a grenade marker (a token), and then have it delay 1 turn before it scatters and blows up. It won't kill very many models that way, but it could be an interesting way to influence enemy movement. The only thing to worry about then is how much it might slow down the game.
I don't know why, but I really like this rule. In fact, I really like it. That's probably the best idea for a new rule I've ever heard and I have no idea why. Have some rep anyway.

You used to be able to, but imagine 30 guard all throwing a frak grenade. It takes forever!
Or even a frag grenade.

Or even a krak grenade :p

They wouldn't, anyway. They'd throw 1 for each squad. Which would be 3 in total.

~ DiW

·
1,053 Posts
I had an Idea like this sometime ago. I mean over 10 years ago. I use the stats STR 4 and AP 6. 1 shot per model. The range was based on the users base S x 2. So a Space Marine has a range of 8, Imperial Guard got a range of 6, and so on. I worked out kind of cool but it really slowed things down and it was scratched.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you let every model throw one grenade IT WILL slow the game down.
So why not just work out the effect of one grenade per unit?

A vehicle pops ONE smoke grenade, a infantry unit throw one frag grenade ...

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
Agreed, that's what I've been testing out (1 grenade per unit). I actually found it made more sense to have the grenade blow up during the opponent's shooting phase, rather than waiting a full turn. Here's the profiles I used for my grenades:

Frag 12" S4 AP5 Barrage Blast
Krak 12" S8 AP3 Barrage Blast - only the center hole of the blast causes the hit, while the rest of the blast causes a pinning test
Plasma 12" S3 AP4 Barrage Blast (could have done this one as Frag, but I wanted to make it different somehow)
Haywire 12" Barrage Blast - no damage, uses existing rule

The opportunity to use the grenades did not come up very often, so it was only two or three delayed blasts to worry about during my small 500 pt game. And that didn't slow the action much at all.

I hadn't thought much about actually representing the smoke grenades yet. Perhaps a large blast with a 12" range that creates an area of 4+ cover? That might be too good though, since Imperial units are getting smoke for free on vehicles that are already too much of a bargain. Maybe it would work better as two small blasts, which would make it harder to use, but probably better as a support for the troops.

·
2,845 Posts
If only I could give you even more rep... I would. I really would. I'm going to go and write up a pilot for these rules in official format and test them out in a game.

Also, I'm sure there's one kind of grenade you've missed out. I just can't bring it to mind.

~ DiW

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
There are meltabombs, but I didn't consider those as throw-able grenades (they look too bulky to me).

One issue that cropped up I forgot to mention: shooting at one unit while throwing a grenade in the direction of another. An "official" house rule would probably need to say that the grenade is placed in the direction of the targeted unit to prevent the splitting of attacks.

·
2,845 Posts
I just remembered some similar rules with the Imperial Guard Demolition Charges, but they were large blasts and invariably involved the thrower killing himself :p

~ DiW

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I just remembered some similar rules with the Imperial Guard Demolition Charges, but they were large blasts and invariably involved the thrower killing himself :p

~ DiW
Also the Imperial Guard have grenade launchers with frag and krak grenades. Perhaps you should use the profile of those grenages, well the S and AP anyway.

The Emperor Protects

·
2,845 Posts
Also the Imperial Guard have grenade launchers with frag and krak grenades. Perhaps you should use the profile of those grenages, well the S and AP anyway.

The Emperor Protects
I think you can get those on SM Scout bikes as well, with S3 and 6 instead of S4 and 8.

~ DiW

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi folks.
How about doing rules for all the other grenades that used to be in 40k?

Blind/Photon, 3" blast, COMPLETLEY blocks LOS.

Smoke...,5" blast, gives 5+ cover sve.(vehicles have to be completley obsured by smoke to get any benifit .)

Tangle foot. 5" blast , counts as difficult ground for infantry units,passing over tha area.

Anti plant. 3" blast removes organic cover.(Plant life.)

Halucogen.3" blast ,On the roll of a 6 the models under the template become stupid.(Strike last in assault, may not shoot next trun.)

Vortex, 3" blast ,any models under blast template are destroyed on a 4+ (vehicles take a penetrating hit+2 to damage dice roll.)

TTFN
Lanrak

1 - 17 of 17 Posts