Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thunderfire Cannon Conversion (update 06-04-11)

Hey all, trying to get back into the hobby, (read trying to muster the motivation) and I thought I would share a little or the work I have been doing.

First of all, as most of you might agree, (at least a good portion of you) the Thunderfire cannon model isn't the nicest think GW has put out.
Second of all, If you permit me to quote Captain Lysander "I have traveled far and seen much. Yet nothing warms my heart so much as the sight of a gun so massive that its fury makes the very world tremble" The current model doesn't exactly embody the sentiment.

So since I had to clean out my garage and found boxes full of junk from broken and dismantled printers and other junk from unknown origins I thought it would be of good use for converting 40K units.

So here we go. (this will be used with my Iron Hand's army)

#1 - Materials used:


Basically Junk: cardboard, 3/4 inch copper pipe, plastic and various computer parts.

#2 - I started by using 2 old DOT matrix paper guides as my cannon body. The have groves where GW tank tracks fit nicely. I used a piece of sheet metal to join the 2 pieces together.


#3 - I glued a large cog wheel to the center mass of the base


#4 - I cut off a 3" piece of copper pipe to use as a barrel


#5 - I used my Dremel to cut a channel in the pipe to have it sit nicely on the center part of the gun


#6 - I found a small electromagnet (probably used in an old floppy drive) and cut off one of the prongs (it looks like a power plant so i used it). Then I fastened it to the cannon slide.



#7 - I then Fastened the barrel to the slide and fastened it to the cannon body.



#8 - I drilled 4 holes in a piece of plastic then cut it out and recessed it inside the barrel


#9 - I then built a small cover that mimics the las cannon covers in SM armies.


#10 - I still need to add finnishing details like GS work, banding on the cannon itself, access ports, tubing and probably a breach. Here is the semi final cannon next to a marine for size comparison. It stands a bit taller than the GW version (I can always remove the cover to shrink it a bit) but at least I like it better than the stock model.
 

·
Real Xeno
Joined
·
881 Posts
This is a really good conversion, I love that You used rubbish. Much more challenging than pay for Forgeworld/any other suppliers stuff and assemble a good looking model!
Rep

Can`t wait to see it painted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[MENTION=48145]goldenS[/MENTION]: About 30 minutes give or take a few....

Paint should be the next step once I finish the detail work, which will be put up on progress update by the weekend.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
looking forward to seeing it painted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry it took so long between updates but I was buzy,

Here is where I stand, its almost done, I still have a bit of GS work to do to fill gaps and a bit more filing but essentially that's what it will look like.

What I added (changed):

Added tracks,
Added track guards,
Changed the top plating to resemble a las cannon top plate,,
Added barrels,
Side plating,
Used guitar strings to add wires,
added a tracking lense under the barrel.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
That is AWESOME!!! :D

Seriously, I love it, and the fact that you made it out of old rubbish and stuff is brilliant. I'd have a go myself, but I think my printer still needs its guides...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top