Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Downside

You're not allowed to use these models to represent Thunderwolves in Games Workshop - private gaming only.

I had 5 TWC made up using Space Wolf riders on the backs of Laris and War Wolves from the CoO army from the other wargame, really nice models as they're about half the height of Fangir and also come with fairly celtic armour.

I brought them down to play at GW and was told to take them off the table. When I retorted that GW did not produce TWC models, but had them in an army list, so how can they refuse me the right to play with custom-made models I was simply told to take them off the table or leave.

Nice folks.

They did tell me that plastic Thunderwolves should be getting released with the second wave of Space Wolves minature releases

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not allowed to use these models to represent Thunderwolves in Games Workshop - private gaming only.

I had 5 TWC made up using Space Wolf riders on the backs of Laris and War Wolves from the CoO army from the other wargame, really nice models as they're about half the height of Fangir and also come with fairly celtic armour.

I brought them down to play at GW and was told to take them off the table. When I retorted that GW did not produce TWC models, but had them in an army list, so how can they refuse me the right to play with custom-made models I was simply told to take them off the table or leave.

Nice folks.

They did tell me that plastic Thunderwolves should be getting released with the second wave of Space Wolves minature releases
Until GW officially releases a model, that should not be able to restrict them. For the above, I would use just the wolf, green-stuff his fur a bit more shaggy, and then use a SW rider.

...once GW makes an official release then you may be out an investment. Ah... another reason I stick to local community tournaments.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i find that aload of rubbish ( not the model). They are meant to promote the hobby, i have been to a dozen gws stores and they all say that as long as it looks like what it is meant to look like they don't care where it's from. as long as it's obvious that most of your army is GWS figures. They clever enough to know that if sucha thing happens, then alot of people don't come down as much and go somewhere else. However, your local GWS doesn't seem to realise that. Why don't you just say it is heavily green stuffed?
thanks
antique_nova

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Meh - looks like a giant rat rather than a wolf (in the same way skaven used to look like big dog-people..)

the Thudnerwold released by GW is a nice model and there are a few ways to use alternate models as sugegsted by members of this forum - using the Chracian Lions, for example, or somethiong similar

·
Registered
35 Posts
The main problem is that the wolves look this like:

So regardless of how much you say that it's heavily green-stuffed, it's still clearly not going to be GW made.

They never took beef with my extra-armoured dreadnought (armour plates cannabalised from an old GO-229 model), or with one of my friends Squiggoth (made from a toy dinosaur covered in foamboard)... why such a big thing about the thunderwolves. I have looked at the Lion conversions too, but to me they're just too low down, I visualise Thunderwolves as being at least double the size of a Fenrisian/Cyberwolf, which makes them double the size of those lions.

As for being out an investment.. well the Laris and Kaya set costs about £11, I have 2 of those and 3 war wolves, which are almost identical to the Laris model except reared back in a howl, they cost about £6 each. Not really a huge cost tbh.

I'm going to call GW tomorrow to find out what their official policy is and take it from there, I'm peeved enough that if it turns out to be just the guys in store then I'll be making complaints. Lots of complaints.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
that last image looks better. also if you look at the images in the codex carefully. you will notice that their is a heck of alot more fur and that the head looks waaaaay too big for it's body.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
38 Posts
Typical GW attitude. "If we didn't make money on it, you can't play it"

Anyone else find it odd that 40t millennium Super Warriors, wearing armor equivalent to a 21st century battle tank, would ride flesh and blood animals into battle? I'm not a SW player so I confess ignorance of the fluff behind them, but it just seems some sort of Wolf bike, and at least a heavily armored cyber wolf or something like that would be more space marine-ish.

That is nice looking mini btw.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Fenrisian Wolves can make a mess of a Rhino APC, so I think they are appropriate. Its like saying that most armies today rarely make use of 6-ft long greatswords whilst in 40K they do - beacuse close combat is regarded at least twice as effective as shooting (you shoot in your turn - you fight CC in both) - based on how WH40K evolved from a Fantasy ruleset...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Deathworld Beasties

Also, bear in mind that pretty much any animal from Fenris is tougher than most things that exist today. Plus, the wolves do have some armour plate on them. If you take that a human in excellent physical condition is Toughness 3 (imperial guard), a genetically engineered human is toughness 4 (space marine), and a thunderwolf is toughness 5.... well it gives you an idea of just how tough they really are.

If I worked it out right, a Thunderwolf is tough enough that by modern standards you could unload standard light firearms (9mm handguns etc) and the majority of wounds would be superficial due to the sheer density of fur and flesh acting as armour.

If you take Strength in a similar fashion (3 being human in excellent condition), a Thunderwolf is probably strong enough to flip over a car with relative ease.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hehehe, I stand corrected. The fluff makes all the difference :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts