Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i'm trying to think of a more realistic way of figuring things out. Most armies would move and shoot, then let the other guy move and shoot. So leaves me to this. How can you move shoot and assault realistically?

BTW: Anybody tries that 40k isn't realistic, your not welcome here. I already know that, I'm developing house rules to change that.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Forger of Civilization said:
Now i'm trying to think of a more realistic way of figuring things out. Most armies would move and shoot, then let the other guy move and shoot. So leaves me to this. How can you move shoot and assault realistically?

BTW: Anybody tries that 40k isn't realistic, your not welcome here. I already know that, I'm developing house rules to change that.

Let me start off by saying rules help isn't the place for this.

And second, it's a game it's not realistic.

Thirdly, to answer your question, think of it more of firing on the move while you charge at your enemy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most armies would move and shoot, then let the other guy move and shoot.
You could alter the turn sequence a bit to achieve this effect. Move, shoot and assault with one unit before moving onto the next. It would actually be interesting to see the subtle differences in tactics that this would encourage.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Or play it like epic, where each unit acts seperately, trading off.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
You want to put a really interesting spin on things? In the shooting phase the player that's not moving shoots. It helps to have counters to keep track of moving but apart from that it's cool.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
An idea I though of would be for both players to do each phase simultaneously. Players take turns moving units, then take turns shooting (the results of which are simultaneous), then take turns assaulting (units that are assaulted before they can themselves assault get to do nothing but defend). The player who gets to act first in each phase is determined by some sort of initiative roll, perhaps based on strategy dice.

EDIT: Of course, this is certainly a bad idea, given that the current codices were "balanced" against the existing ruleset. . .

·
Registered
838 Posts
if you've ever played confrontation you could try a turn sequence similar to that:

first you make a discipline roll to see who goes first based on d6 + the highest discipline value in your army.
the winner determines who goes first.
the person that goes first moves one of his models then lets the other player move one of their models. it continues like this till everyone has moved.

the person with the least number of models has a pass for every model that his opponent has more than him. eg someone with 7 against someone with 9 has 2 passes. a pass being a turn where he doesn't have to move anything and can make his opponent move one of their models.

(this is a simplified explanation so don't tell me how confrontation actually works)

also i don't think you should detirmine who gets first turn through the use of any statistic, thats unbalanced for 40k. just roll off for it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get a hold of the 2nd edition rules and read up on overwatch. You could incorperate something like that in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Players might write on a paper the orders for their units every turn or phase, then execute them simultaneously. would be an interesting try, but would also cost more time than normal. Hey, this idea might also evolve in a computer moderated multiplayer .

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ostsol said:
An idea I though of would be for both players to do each phase simultaneously. Players take turns moving units, then take turns shooting (the results of which are simultaneous), then take turns assaulting (units that are assaulted before they can themselves assault get to do nothing but defend). The player who gets to act first in each phase is determined by some sort of initiative roll, perhaps based on strategy dice.

EDIT: Of course, this is certainly a bad idea, given that the current codices were "balanced" against the existing ruleset. . .
The one big change I would make is to have the shooting phase be simultaneous like the assault phase and based on initiative. This would of course mean a massive retooling of all units (including giving vehicles initiative values) but would balance out a lot of the "whoever gets to go first has a huge advantage" norm.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
But even the who goes first is somewhat balanced out by the last turn move to capture objectives.

If you are going to retool the game to make it more realistic, play by second edition, and mix turns like in epic. ALl the rules are there for ya. You start all your vehicles at speeds when you deploy (so skimmers moving fast first round of shooting) Shoot in other players turn(overwatch), and it made more sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts