Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am new to chaos and know practicaly nothing about it. i know i want to play nurgle. he is my favorite of the chaos gods. so i was wondering if people could post advice and tips and stuff about death guard that would help me with making my army. thanks! :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lots and lots of basic marines. They're good, so use them. Also, give all your basic marines bolters and CCWs. Finally, (this may be slightly biased) possesed marines with daemonic talons and a rhino will eat through quite a few nasty units and come out smiling.

·
Registered
827 Posts
DG have no marine held heavy weapons, so you have to rely on vehicles and squads with plasma guns. On the upside you can put two heavy weapons in each squad, most people go for plasmas. Also asign some squads to infiltrate and then blast with plasmas or meltas and charge. Good tactic.:yes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I would take some squads of Infiltrating Plague Marines. A squad of Terminators. Even if you can't field heavy weapons in your marine squads, you can still have them on vehicled. Dreads and Preds make good anti-vehicle choices here.

I also wouldn't give the Demonic Talons upgrade to a squad of Possessed unless they were Khornate. Instead I would go for something like Flight or Visage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
look on ebay and see if you can find someone selling plague marines painted or unpainted for cheap.

i found a rhino w/ forgeworld plates and 4 meltagunners for like 20$ on ebay.

its really worth it.

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Yeah. some good advice here. A few more hints that worked for me:

Don't bother with plaguebearers. They aren't really useful at all. They're good at killing stuff like Wraithlords, but it might be a better idea to put something else against them.

Plague Swords are your friend. The closest thing to a Force Weapon in the chaos armoury - take advantage of your opponents face as you kill his Uber hard carnifex in one slice.

Dreadnoughts are brilliant with twin lascannons - Reliable anti-tank. It's worth the risk of him charging forward, as he might draw attention away from your marines/terminators.

Nurgles Rot - give everything that can have it this. It's death-on-legs for horde armies, and has killed a fair few marines in my experience.

·
907 Posts
Robizzle said:
Yeah. some good advice here. A few more hints that worked for me:

Don't bother with plaguebearers. They aren't really useful at all. They're good at killing stuff like Wraithlords, but it might be a better idea to put something else against them.

Plague Swords are your friend. The closest thing to a Force Weapon in the chaos armoury - take advantage of your opponents face as you kill his Uber hard carnifex in one slice.

Dreadnoughts are brilliant with twin lascannons - Reliable anti-tank. It's worth the risk of him charging forward, as he might draw attention away from your marines/terminators.

Nurgles Rot - give everything that can have it this. It's death-on-legs for horde armies, and has killed a fair few marines in my experience.

Yes, yes, yes.

Rot is essential. DG owns in combat, just because they never die. Just watch out for S4 ppl with pfists, cuz the extra toughness doesn't count when you're insta-killed (this was a horrible rule to learn in mid-game).

Also, predator's and dreadnoughts are a MUST. You have to intimidate your opponent into coming to YOU, or at least be able to knock out the tanks/ranged squads while your boys struggle up the field.
And rhino's or infiltrators are helpful.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
PLague sword- Against non-monstrous creatures, this weapon is sub-par. The model carrying this weapon will need daemonic strength as well, which further increases the cost. Against monstrous creatures, however, it is quite effective. The first time your a.c. goes up against a winged hive tyrant or a carnifex and takes them down with one swing makes it worth while. Be sure to observe your opponent's face when this happens- they never see it coming.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
My suggestion for Death Guard would be to use the Manreaper. I think it's one of the best weapons in the chaos codex, probably my favorite of all daemon weapons (even though I play Emperor's Children and can't use it). I've gone against it many times, and seen it in action often... it's quite the squad killer. Plus you could give the guy with it a cool Grim Reaper motiff.

Inflitrate would also play a big part of any Death Guard army I'd make...

Plaguebearers are great for tying down units (and killing big, monsters as was noted). They are tough, and fairly cheap and come with Nurgle's Rot. They can cause some decent damage against the right kinds of units, but they're mostly just hard to kill.

Most Death Guard Havocs use Plasmaguns, as I've seen. And it seems like a good way to go. Although, if you're counting on your havocs for anti-vehicle, metlaguns might be a better option.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My tip as an IG player who regularly plays a nurgle player- load up on rhinos with mutated hulls and fill them up with marines-2x meltaguns and a sergeant w/power weapon and demonic strenght or a powerfist. On the first turn move them all 12" forward and pop the smoke. On the second turn move them 12" again, and disembark in a manner that makes you not-vulnerable to ordinance and fire at whatever is scary. Get into close combat with pretty much any army and you will win. Orks/sisters/IG/tau/eldar all need 6's to wound so they will get macked. Necrons aren't very good in CC except for their lord, and if you match your lord against his you will win almost every time. Marine armies still need a 5+ to wound and will have less attacks than you. I've heard you will have trouble with this tactic only against tyranids, so in that case load up on plasma and powerfists, drop the rhinos and sit back a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts