Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i ever got into this game my mom was a bit of an arts and crafts buff, and she took her crafts WAY to seriously but then she was also pretty good at them too though.

The point is, that when i started painting these miniatures I inherited her set of waterbased acriylic paints she had collected from various craft stores.

I did NOT, however inherit here quite extensive collection of brushes numbering over 30 in all of almost every time and size. Apparently they were too good for me to use and i would ruin them or something.

Years later i have finnaly started to realize the benefits of a well maintained and good quality paint brush.

So, what are the sort of odd things you all do when preping, painting, cleaning, etc. your models and supplies and tools?

For starters, i have taken to keeping a bar of regular soap around at all times and everytime i finish with a brush i thouroghly rinse it, rinse it again in a seperate cleaner water cup, and then stroke the still wet brush against a groove i cut in the bar of soap to shape and form it. This way when the brush dries it holds its nice pointy shape and doesn't 'fray' I also imagine that the soap might help keep the brushes clean a bit too. (this technique taught to me by mother dearist of course...)

I also tend to wash my models with rubbing alchol to clean them if they have been sitting in the open and are dusty, that is my unpainted or half painted unvarnished models. My regulars don't sit out in the open. (have also developed a nagging habit of washing my hands when painting, not for paint smears but because i fear grease getting on the model)

I also have a set of pliers, whose metal grips are covered with masking tape, and whose handle is held closed lightly by a rubber band. The masking tape keeps the plier's grips from maring the material/paint surface being held, and the rubber band that keeps them closed lets me hold the model in the air and poistion it with greater ease.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Man I've got all the toys, ( pinvice, mini vice, Tech pens, clippers 20 odd brushs, etc. )
I always lick the end of the brush to get it to a sharp point, Some of the best advice I've taken is to get a black tech Pen, at first I thought it was cheating, But hey anything to get your minis looking their best is cool in my book

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I always just rinse.. clean or whatever... my brushed in water, then I beat them over any surface, normally my hand, just to shake off the excess water...
Then I just gently twist and form the brush between my fingers...

·
DING
1,740 Posts
rtsposer that set up sounds really professional. I am just like the other guys. Lick the brush to get the point on it (even with paint on it the amount of times i have walked around with chaos black all over my lips) One good swish around in some water, a rub of tiolet paper or kitchen paper and store, brush up in a jar with the plastic protector thing they come with (the brush must be stored up........ always store up the first lesson i learned about brushes after ruining the first set i bought)
Just one question do you guys always use citadel brushes or just buy any old common garden varity ones? I know theres no really difference just curious

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah i always keep all my paints and brushes together, keep the tips pointed, and yes, i do lick my brushes to get a good point on em.. boltgun metal is surprisingly tasty... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I only use toothpicks to paint.... HAHA just kidding, Although the first 10 models I ever painted I used Toothpicks. All Power armored Deathwing Marines...

Nowadays I use pretty much any brush I think will do the job. Sometimes I dont take care of my brushes as well as i ought to but for the most part they still work, besides if you ruin a brush it turns into a great Drybrushing brush. I don't neccesarily lick my brush but I do put the point in my mouth and give it a good spin, keeps a nice point on 'em...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have been painting for about 6-7 years on and off. The only really weird thing I noticed is that the number brushes that I use went from about 10 down to 2. One for eyes and inks, one for everything else. I realized why this is, I think it comes down to the fact my hand eye co-ordination has improved greatly, thanks to many hours of First Person Shooters on my computer.

So if you find your hand a bit shakey when painting eyes, put that brush down and play some BF1942/CS/Q3 or whatever for a few hours... :blink:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I hate it when my hands start shaking. Don't know what it is, but it really pisses me off. Usually I slap em, if that won't work (about 99% of the time) I just take something else to paint, something where I have a fairly large surface that has to be painted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.