Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen those Titan things and I don't know what part of the Imperium uses them, is it all Imperium or just the Guard or what. Those things are gigantic but I don't think they are worth $200 and up a piece. I would probably get a load of plastic and carve my own to save my self $200. If anyone has those post a pic of them if you can, and if you think they really are worth all the money they charge you. Oh and if this is the wrong army for them could a moderator please move this to the correct thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The IG actually use super tanks...they might use one titan but im not sure.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Titans are not part of any infantry/armoured organisation but instead form their own titan liegons.

The name Titan per-se exists from the imperium - the Titan liegons are imperial organisations. At the horus heresey a number of the Titan liegons defected, as with all other fighting forces, which means there are Titans also fighting for chaos

Other races (notably Eldar and Orks) have their own (titans and Gargans resepctively)

Titans are deployed as part of a fighting force and can be found fighting alongside any imperial (or chaos or Eldar or OrK) army. for most cases it would have to be a battle of some magnitude to warrant the use of Titans, which is why they are prevalent in Epic. Accordingly it is unlikely but not impossible that an inquisitor or the Eclisiarchy could aquire Titan support (read as unlikely for Witch hunters or Demon hunters to have Titans)

In 40K whilst titans are huge and dominate any battlefield, they are not invulnerable and cost a horific ammount of points, plus you need your opponents permission to use them.

It is not impossible for example for a unit of Space wolf blood claws, suitable lead, to bring down a Titan worht 700 points

Please note that although we are refering to Titans, I thing generally we are actually talking about Warhound Scout titans, these are faster, lighter titans, not on the same scale as a full titan such as the reaver class. Frankly if people want to use these monsters with any frequency they should play epic

·
Registered
283 Posts
Titans fall under the command of Adeptus Mechanicus, not the IG or Space Marines. They have their own force as was mentioned.

They are sweet looking, but ABSOLUTELY not worth their cost. First of all, I know a guy who crafted a titan and if you are a decent craftsman and you have a lot of good bits I would reckon you could build a titan for damn near nothing.

In gameplay, they're good but there are two things to keep in mind. One is that you need your opponent's permission to use them. Two is that they cost WAY WAY more points than they will ever take out. A unit of assault marines with meltabombs could take it down no problem. A unit of Terminators with a chainfist could take it down no problem. One lucky lascannon shot could kill it. Quite frankly, for 700+ points I want more than just a big heavy bolter and a battle cannon with ap2 and range 36. Gameplay-wise you'd be MUCH better off with a baneblade because it sports way more weapons for over 200 points less. Plus a baneblade better compliments your tank forces.

Also as was said, this is only the tiny titan- the warhound. Some titans are large enough to have their own air forces and would stand over 10 feet tall on a warhammer battlefield. Obviously, you can't really play with these.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I do agree that many Titans/Super Heavys are not worth their cost however there are some things which I believe are worth fielding.

On is the Tyranid Hierophant (look at the stats sometime and you'll see how hard it is to bring that thing down). A Lascannon only has a 15% chance of taking away a mass point (and it has 3) and unless any weapon has an AP2 or less the chances then are nill. That thing can put out 2 nasty ordance templates (not true ord) and in close combat has a lash whip and the equivalent of Nurgle's rot except on a 4+. Oh, and did I mention this thing is classified as a Beast?

True, it will probably never earn back its points but at the same time it will be a huge heavy weapons sponge and can wreck havok on the battlefield.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Heavy Support I think you need to re-read your stuff, Titans are under theLeogio Titanicus which is split into orders/chapters and a lucky hit from a las cannon will at best knock out a single void shield but wont take down allthe void shields and structure points necessary to take out a titan

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
Cheredanine said:
Heavy Support I think you need to re-read your stuff, Titans are under theLeogio Titanicus which is split into orders/chapters and a lucky hit from a las cannon will at best knock out a single void shield but wont take down allthe void shields and structure points necessary to take out a titan
Accually, in a way, he's right because the Adeptus Mechanicus have their own Titan Legions that only they can command, however, most of the Titans are under the command of the Lord General Militant of the Imperial Guard, High Lord of Terra and dozen other titles. These titans however, are maintained and run by the Adeptus Mechanicus aswell, but it's the LGMitIG that orders them around... or more likely, he tells someone else to order them around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, here we go.
The Adeptus Mechanicus controls forgeworlds all across the galaxy. These act as manufacturing facilities for the imperium. All forgeworlds maintain a PDF, same as any imperial world. The main PDF forces are made up of Skitarii regiments (these used to be called tech-guard regiments), made up of mechanically augmented humans and organized like guard regiments, but with a high number of tanks and armoured vehicles. Most forgeworlds also maintain a Titan Legion. Originally these arrived with colony ships from Mars during the age of strife; many more have been formed since.

Therefore the Titan Battlegroups fall under the control of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imperial commanders can request the assistance of the Titan legions through the Adeptus Mechanicus (I'll call it AM from here onward)and, if granted, a battlegroup will fall under the command of the theatre commander for the duration of its involvement, however it is almost always the case that the titan battlegroup commander becomes a part of the commanders staff, answering only to him and the AM. If the AM withdraws its support then the titans will leave, the AM control supersedes the theatre commanders.

As to the FW models, it'd have to be a really good sculptor to match the detail on those! I've seen one up close and still not lost the enthusiasm for them. Yes its a big-game only thing, but so are superheavies, you need your opponents permission to use them too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Cheredanine said:
No, I was right about everything I said- I've double checked it. Adeptus Mechanicus is in control of the Titans- they are simply the top of the chain of command for them. Also, while it is true that you have to take down their void shields first, one lascannon shot can start a chain reaction which takes away multiple structure points and kills the titan. The rolling is a little tricky, but it can be done. Taking down the void shields isn't that tough either- warhounds only have two and you automatically take one down with a glancing or penetrating hit. Think about how ludicrously fragile your titan would be against Necrons. If they brought a lot of destroyers your titan will be toast, likely by the second turn. The lucky las shot I was talking about is after the void shields are down- I thought everyone talking about titans would know you had to go through void shields first obviously.

Titans are also extremely weak in hand to hand combat. I think they should be meaner, and have some sort of high strength, low ap ordinance stomp attack. They're supposed to be huge! They could step on stuff.

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
^Heavy Support^ said:
Titans are also extremely weak in hand to hand combat. I think they should be meaner, and have some sort of high strength, low ap ordinance stomp attack. They're supposed to be huge! They could step on stuff.
Wouldn't it make more sense if they ignored armour saves on the same basis as monstruous creatures do?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Titans do have close combat abilities, every model in B2B recieves a WS1, I1, S6 attack that ignores armour saves. They can also do some nasty things to vehicles too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you feel like building you own I would recommend going for a knight household instead of a titan. They are smaller, so you might be able to get away with using two or three in a large battle, and only has a single pilot, otherwise they are similar to titans. A cross between a titan/sentinel/dreadnought in size and capabilities :)
You could easily use the Vehicle Design Rules to make them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For anyone who wants to try ;-)

Here's something I found a while ago. Someone built himself a titan. Looks like a Warlord, but IMHO tht's more the size ofthe smaller Reaver class.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/?action=view&current=2005-12-10TitanwithUltramarines01.jpg

Here's the complete album with pictures from the construction process:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/

And totally off topic, but also cool, a Venice cityfight table still in the making:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/mockup2.jpg

And last but not least to totally derail it *BIG SORRY, butI couldn't resit when I found the pictures* the Necrons go on vacation:
http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=46671&temaid=3784665

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sharpe said:
For anyone who wants to try ;-)

Here's something I found a while ago. Someone built himself a titan. Looks like a Warlord, but IMHO tht's more the size ofthe smaller Reaver class.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/?action=view&current=2005-12-10TitanwithUltramarines01.jpg

Here's the complete album with pictures from the construction process:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/

And totally off topic, but also cool, a Venice cityfight table still in the making:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/mockup2.jpg

And last but not least to totally derail it *BIG SORRY, butI couldn't resit when I found the pictures* the Necrons go on vacation:
http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=46671&temaid=3784665
Been patroling the Warseer forums have you? :shifty:

IIRC that Warlord Titan is indeed the correct size, he was extraordiarily careful when constructing that beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get one of those power rangers things and throw a bunch of clay all over it and basically use it as a base for all the weapons and stuff. I would carve some parts off and other stuff like that, for a price a lot less.

·
907 Posts
IWishIHadMore$ said:
I would get one of those power rangers things and throw a bunch of clay all over it and basically use it as a base for all the weapons and stuff. I would carve some parts off and other stuff like that, for a price a lot less.
Hey... that's a good idea. I think I might have to do that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts