Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the feed back on my last post.
Here is my question of the day, how small of a game would you use a Land raider in ??

I am working on lists for a 1500pt Worldeaters army for a small leauge with my friends. There is quite a bit diversitey among my them, so a well rounded list is the only safe option ( the only force I do not encounter reagularly is DE and L&tD.)
I would like to include 1 LR and see how it works , I figure I can use it with my termies or load it up with some cheap beserkers and keep em guessing.
I will be including a small group of termies (3x LT claw,1 pwr fist, 1combi flamer) in the army because I have the models.
my goal is to be a little taticaly flexible while still having a strong anti tank unit

To reiterate , What is the smallets points value you would use a LR in? And how would you get the most value out of your investment?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've found the LR to be a liability in anything other than big games. 1500 is probably on the low end of where I'd use it. Aside from transporting terminators, which can deepstrike anyways, it has 3 weapons that are pretty incompatible. If you need a Lascannon to kill something, the HB is useless, and if you are killing swarms with the HB, the cannons are overkill. The best place for a landraider is on the shelf, with 2 predators on the table in it's place for near the same cost.

All said though, if you're playing a big game, the LR can sometimes be useful just because it's big and scary looking. While the whole opposing army is blasting the crap out of a LR, your other sneaky stuff can get into a better position.

To sum up:1500 points minimum.

·
389 Posts
I am sad to say GeekSlayer is right. The Landraider is often more of a liability in smaller games, especially if you have it loaded up with terminators. That will be 1/3 of your points right there.

If you are gonna use the Landraider you gotta make sure there are other armor threats on the table. A dreadnought is very good at that, so is a defiler, perhaps even a rhino or two. The more you can get the opponent to spread out his anti tank weaponry the better.

Dreadnoughts are perfect for this job since they are relatively cheap, and pose a considerable shooting and cc threat. Nobody wan'ts to let that dreadnought anywhere near their lines, and since the same goes for your terminators in the landraider you have forced the enemy to try to kill two units. To some extend a tooled up Khorne daemon prince can fill much the same role since heavy weapons is one of the only ways to kill him.

On that note I might chose to put a squad of standard berzerkers into the LR and let the termies walk or deepstrike. If the termies walk it is one more unit on the table that needs heavy weapons.

My advice would be to run the LR 12" forward the first turn, pop smoke and then let it soak up a lot of punishments. Cracking an AV14 vehicle that can only be glanced is no easy matter. Especially since you have a dreadnought coming his way as well. Should your opponent be unwise enough to place his armor in LOS then by all means make him feel what 3 twin linked lascannons can do. Otherwise move and smoke the first round.

Arizzar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts