Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started to play WH40k, I chose DA as my chapter cause I liked their colors and loved their fluff. However, i'm a competitve player, and like to win as much as having fun. With the new SM codex here, i'm seeing some much new stuff that i'm loving and playtesting, makes me wonder if i should finish painting my DA stuff. My biggest issue is the question of: "Do we get to use the new stuff in the SM codex, or have to follow our codex to the T?" For example: Chapter masters now get an orbital bombardment but Azrael does not. Whirlwinds get to chose which missile they fire when shooting, while DA whirlwinds have to chose at the start of game which missile they can fire. Sternguard, Vanguard, Thunderfire, etc..... do DA even get to field them? There is more than that but the biggest thing is, why play a divergance chapter now if you can field newer, better units playing vanilla. If someone knows if theres a rule or FAQ or errata somewhere that says any chapter can use any standard codex stuff, please please enlighten me, but as of right now i'm lost in my chapter selection and i'm concidering UM now due the fact they get the most love of all chapters, and through that the most special character choices.

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
At the moment, the answer to all your questions is .... no.

Dark Angels have their own codex and until GW either publishes a new Codex: DA or errata/FAQ the above items, Azrael cannot use orbital bombardment, nor can DA select Sternguards/Vanguards, etc...

Bottom line is until there is an official communication from GW that the new features on the new Codex:Space Marines will be usable for all other Space Marines chapters or by another chapter that has a dedicated Codex (DA/BA/SW/BT) these new Codex rules don't apply to them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well personally it doesn't make sense for DA to have sternguard and vanguard because their first company is strictly deathwing terminators.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
DA should get the same wargear and vehicles as normal marines. Storm shields and Land Raiders should be the same regardless of color. They can keep Sternguard, Vanguard, Ironclad Dreads, Redeemers, Thunderfires, etc.

That said, the DA book is competitive but only if you run Deathwing/Ravenwing. Normal marines can do everything else better and for cheaper, but DW/RW are nasty when used in tandem.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
DA should get the same wargear and vehicles as normal marines. Storm shields and Land Raiders should be the same regardless of color. They can keep Sternguard, Vanguard, Ironclad Dreads, Redeemers, Thunderfires, etc.

That said, the DA book is competitive but only if you run Deathwing/Ravenwing. Normal marines can do everything else better and for cheaper, but DW/RW are nasty when used in tandem.

I just like the fact that vanilla marines can now run mortis dreadnoughts.........but DA cannot! :)

Mhuaa hahahahaha.

...Actually, it's not that funny. :(

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Stupid that DA codex is so new and already outdated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts