Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forward Kommander
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a small tau force (under 1000 pts) and have purchased my first hammerhead *cheers* My only problem is, do I equip it with Smart Missiles, and get 6 extra inches, along with being able to shoot things out of sight, or go with Burst Cannons where I get an extra 2 shots with the loss of 6"?

I'm tilting towards the Burst Cannons as they are cheeper :sleep:

Thanks :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
i think you are better off with burst cannon if you need points...if you have ion cannon definetely get burst cannon
 

·
The deep down truth
Joined
·
5,714 Posts
Blood_Blade said:
Hello everyone!

I have a small tau force (under 1000 pts) and have purchased my first hammerhead *cheers* My only problem is, do I equip it with Smart Missiles, and get 6 extra inches, along with being able to shoot things out of sight, or go with Burst Cannons where I get an extra 2 shots with the loss of 6"?

I'm tilting towards the Burst Cannons as they are cheeper :sleep:

Thanks :yes:
To be quite honest I always take BC, why? because they are cheaper and I never want anything close enough to use either the SMS or BC, frankly if you could have the option of not taking the secondry weapons I would not bother.
Hammerheads should always be using the two great advantages they have, a multi to allow movement and shooting and the massive range of the railgun, use both these to help keep the Hammerhead alive to use the railgun, you really should not even be thinking about using the secondry weapons at all, I know I dont and if I am I know its because I have screwed up and allowed the enemy to get to close.
 

·
Forward Kommander
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys guys!

Now down to assembling...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
I take the SMS, usually, dunno why. Just seems to work better :\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Personally Id go with the Smart Missile System because if you get depp strinking guys right next to you HH 4 AP4 shots that hit on a 4 are gonna kill some guys. Remember that the SMS is a heavy 4 and is also attacked to most broadsides Personally the BC is less range, less shots, one higher STR, and one less AP

Besides if you already modeled the BC the you can think of a New innovative way to covert it to a SMS, (If you want an SMS)

Bobotheguy
 

·
Forward Kommander
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I have assambled my Hammerhead, and I have suddenly realized, that the main gun doesn't sit straight unless you glue it. Now normaly this wouldn't be a problem, but I am planing on using the Ion Cannon every now and then, so i was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and solved it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,417 Posts
Smart missiles are better. But that's bleeding obvious, they cost 10pts more, plus you really need a target lock, another 5pts, to make them effective. Use them if you have the points, they are good enough if you have the points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Blood_Blade said:
Alright, I have assambled my Hammerhead, and I have suddenly realized, that the main gun doesn't sit straight unless you glue it. Now normaly this wouldn't be a problem, but I am planing on using the Ion Cannon every now and then, so i was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and solved it...
Yeah, it kinda sucks. What I plan to do is buy another hammerhead and assemble it as a Devilfish. Use the parts on the extra sprue to make a second turret for your Hammerhead. It's a little cheaper than buying the sprue, unless you never plan on using a Devilfish, then just order the turret sprue.

As for missiles or cannons, you dont need to glue em, they snap in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Blood_Blade said:
Alright, I have assambled my Hammerhead, and I have suddenly realized, that the main gun doesn't sit straight unless you glue it. Now normaly this wouldn't be a problem, but I am planing on using the Ion Cannon every now and then, so i was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and solved it...
Yes, and its easy. Go to a hardware store, or some other similar place, and get some magnets. They will be placed inside the railgun, the cannon, and the turret so measure those areas. They are about 1/4" by 1/2". Trimming to get them to fit is easy. Make sure you've got the magnets positioned properly before attaching them! Don't ask me how I know. Now you have a HH that can easily go from railhead to ion head with no fuss or muss. Plus it looks sharp if you get an armament destroyed roll and you can actually remove the gun.
I didn't glue the SM or the BC into place for the same reason. I can go from Ionhead w/BC to Railhead w/SMS in minutes. It's great for storage also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Otsego said:
Yes, and its easy. Go to a hardware store, or some other similar place, and get some magnets. They will be placed inside the railgun, the cannon, and the turret so measure those areas. They are about 1/4" by 1/2". Trimming to get them to fit is easy. Make sure you've got the magnets positioned properly before attaching them! Don't ask me how I know. Now you have a HH that can easily go from railhead to ion head with no fuss or muss. Plus it looks sharp if you get an armament destroyed roll and you can actually remove the gun.
I didn't glue the SM or the BC into place for the same reason. I can go from Ionhead w/BC to Railhead w/SMS in minutes. It's great for storage also.


I just use blue tac stuffed up inside. Less ellegant, but it works just fine and it's easier.
 

·
With Oden On Our Side...
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
bobotheguy said:
Personally Id go with the Smart Missile System because if you get depp strinking guys right next to you HH 4 AP4 shots that hit on a 4 are gonna kill some guys. Remember that the SMS is a heavy 4 and is also attacked to most broadsides Personally the BC is less range, less shots, one higher STR, and one less AP

Besides if you already modeled the BC the you can think of a New innovative way to covert it to a SMS, (If you want an SMS)

Bobotheguy
Amm...you don't have the right stats for the SMS...The BC and SMS have the same AP and Str.

Anyway, I perfer to take SMS on my Railhead and BC on my Ionhead. I don't have a real reason why, I just it that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
The biggest difference between the two on the table is that the SMS don't need line of sight. So I tend to take SMS if I am expecting to play on a terrain-heavy table. You get almost the same qty of shots with the BC - at nearly the same range - for less points - but that doesn't help if you can't draw a bead on whatever's sneaking up behind that ridge. It is nice not to have to move your HH away from whatever you are happily shooting to death with the big gun in order to get a shot in on something smaller and sneakier. Of course you also need the TL and MT upgrades to make that work.

So, in summary:

Need to cut points? go for the BC
Lots of terrain and blind areas? go for the SMS
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top