Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local gaming club has been having a round of turnaments running over the past year in what were calling the "massters serrirs". so far there has been a 1250pt, 2000pt, 3000pt, and soon will be the finnal round at 2200pts. each round there has been some kind of special rule(s) for each round. the first two here soo long ago it seems that i don't really remember them, however i do remember i played dwarfs in the first one and got slaugtered, the second i was new to tk, and the 3000pt one was a "bring out the worst your army can do" type game. after all the scoring i have managed to be somewhere in the middle of the standings with a sportsmenship award to boot! i have only been playing the game for about a year now as well so im not dooing to bad( only 7 points between me and the guy in the lead)

anyway this time we have a set of Comp rulles that you can follow or not, nut every list gets judged by the rules and is given a score out of 10. each game you play, win or losse, you also get the points for your list added to your score.

these are the basic comp rules without the full exsplanation.(its just too much to type!)
1. did you spend at least 700pts on core?
2. did you spend more than 900 pts on core?
3. did you fill more than your required core slots?
4. do you have more core units than special and rare combine?
5. did you refrain from filling your special and rare spots?
6. did you spend less than 200pts on magic items?
7. did you spend less than 700pts on characters?
8. does your arrmy generate less than 8 power dice?
9. does your army have more than 2 missle armed troops?
10. does your army have more than 1 flying unit?

So without furrther adew here is the list.

Tomb King : chariot, FoS, CoS

Liche priest : CoD, H-Jar

priest, steed

priest, steed
Core
25 skeleton waarriors, HW+S
5 Chariots, standard, icon of the scared eye
2 tombswarms
Special
4 ushabti
tomb scorpion
tomb scorpion
Rare
SSC, SoF

So what do you guys think of the list ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey mate, Lets see what we got here then. I will be very critical just so you have a good list rather than to be nasty etc.

Anyway this time we have a set of Comp rulles that you can follow or not, nut every list gets judged by the rules and is given a score out of 10. each game you play, win or losse, you also get the points for your list added to your score.

these are the basic comp rules without the full exsplanation.(its just too much to type!)
1. did you spend at least 700pts on core? -not too hard with Tk leading (chariots ftw)
2. did you spend more than 900 pts on core? - slightly difficult but still, chariots
3. did you fill more than your required core slots? - easy with TK
4. do you have more core units than special and rare combine? hard with TK (we need the special troops to really get anything done. Although, with chariots again...)
5. did you refrain from filling your special and rare spots? - we need 2x rare.
6. did you spend less than 200pts on magic items? - we need our magic items
7. did you spend less than 700pts on characters? - impossible for TK
8. does your arrmy generate less than 8 power dice? - woot! no power dice! can't fail
9. does your army have more than 2 missle armed troops? - easy, chariots have bows
10. does your army have more than 1 flying unit? - 2x carrion...hmm otherwise no

These rules are hard to score high with as TK. Have I understood correct that you don't have abide by all of them?

So without furrther adew here is the list.

Tomb King : chariot, FoS, CoS
swap FoS with Spear of Antarhak, 15 less points, +1 str on charge and heals. It does 2.77 wounds on the charge against WS5, T4, Sv 4+ Also Don't bother with CoS, 2/3 of attacks go on chariot, Give him Eye of Rah-nutt instead with the added bonus of making up for the lack of "Look out Sir". Also give him Enchanted shield and light armour, or shield and Armour of Ages if you can afford it.
Liche priest : CoD, H-Jar
yep perfect

priest, steed
perhaps a SoR, your magic is really weak

priest, steed
I think you need more magic than this, think about giving this guy a Casket
Core
Swap for Skeleton archers, they are much better value and give them at least standard + mus to hold things off the catapult till help comes.

hw/s/la need full command, and are largely ineffective as attacking units. More Chariots if you want shock charge or Heavy Horsemen if you want wounds. Hvy Horsemen have +1 str on charge, +4 move, +1 sv at range and same sv in combat, +1 unit str and +steed attack. All this for +7 pts is a bargain. The fact they are more than twice as good makes up for the slower ressing
(see above)

5 Chariots, standard, icon of the scared eye
too big: you can only ever get 4 chariot models in and this unit will be very unwieldly. Drop 2 chariots, put the TK in and make new chariot units of 4x chariots

2 tombswarms
yep tomb swarm are good

Special
4 ushabti
I love ushabti, but can't fit them in my list ='( . Good for you mate

tomb scorpion
Tomb Scorpion are amazing

tomb scorpion
despite above comment, tomb swarm + 2x tomb scorp is slightly over-kill. drop this for 4x carrion: 1st turn charging and can shut down enemy warmachines, lone characters, small skirmisher units, 10 man weak ranged squads and then the ever-hilarious kamakase mage-in-unit assassination

Rare
SSC, SoF
Brilliant. SSC + SoF every time. Great powerhouse, just make sure you target enemy heavy cavalry and other high sv threats first.

So what do you guys think of the list ?
I think you list is ok, but there is definite room for improvement. I must admit I have basically told you to change it to my list, which is actually quite unfair of me so to mix it up, you might want to get better magic by dropping the SSC: your Ushabti have the strength to take out things your SSC would target and the Casket will give you some anti armour, magic power and magic defence so is very good.

If however you have bought the SSC model and money is an issue (which it is for me), I suggest you ignore the casket and stick with ushabti and SSC, although it won't perform perfectly I don't think it is £30's worth of improvement unless money isn't much of an issue.

Good luck in the tournament

·
Registered
294 Posts
Rather than launching into an exhaustive critique of the proposed list I would just like to consider the comp rules in use here:

Looking over these rules it is apparent that they are frankly incompatible with what works well in a TK list (kudos to the TO for shaking things up a bit here though. ;)) Although there are a few short cuts you can take (like using chariots to up the core etc) I really think you need to choose to either make a list that will do very well in terms of comp scores OR do well in battle, anything else is probably going to require too much compromise and leave you coming up short in both areas if you're not careful.

If you decide to try and do well in terms of generalship and winning games then I would point you in the direction of the tournament list Outbreak used recently:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tomb-kings-army-lists/181333-2k-tournament-list.html

This is a great list and you will find that most of the good (and by good I mean consistently effective) lists all pretty much follow a similar pattern. Even those lists that start out radically different tend to evolve into something similar over time as players hone thier lists based on experience. If you're looking to score points by winning games then I would use this as a template and tweak it here and there to suit your own personal preferances.

If you decide to try for a comp score win (as you seem to be doing above), then I would go all out to try and fill as many of the 10 points as possible. Although this will almost certainly leave you with a pretty dire list, you should still do well overall because a draw (or even minor loss) will still give you plenty of points when combined with your high comp element.

If you have access to lots of chariots (or can proxy a few) then a chariot horde would work well here because although they tend to be hit and miss in terms of general effectiveness, this would work nicely in terms of an overall tournament strategy.

Strangely enough (because under normal circumstances it doesn't work), the other option for a comp score win would be to do a take on a 'deathstar' type list. TKs are not really cut out for deathstar strategy and they are rarely attempted by experienced players because they invariably produce mediocre results. You very rarely see any massacres in these games and most will end up as either a draw or a minor win/loss. Obviously this is not at all desirable in a normal tourney but in this case it would be perfect when combined with such a high comp score.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice, and no this list is not really what i like to take, not even close! im going for a good comp score. the list you see actually is a perfect 10/10 :soldier:

our gaming club is pretty good for things such as comp and what not so a comp system is farily new to us, but this one was put together for this finnal round and were just going to see what hapopens. and just to clarify a few things about it....
#8. each bound spell, tk incant, prayer and so on is considered a "power dice" for this rule
#9. its acctually is a bad thing (-1 to your score), but it does not include War Machines :sinister:
As for #s 5 to like 9, ya there all hard on tk its true, but you dont have to follow the comp rules at all if you dont want to, its like an extra points grab and i intend on trying to take as many as i can and still put up a fight.

If however you have bought the SSC model and money is an issue (which it is for me), I suggest you ignore the casket and stick with ushabti and SSC.
WHAT!!! Ignore the casket of souls, never! haha, i have plenty of models as well and money isnt an issue really, besides skelletons and tomb gaurd i have quite a force assembled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.