Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a post on BOLS and it got me to wondering. Mr Black wrote an interesting article musing why he had bought 'too many' miniatures, he could not, he reasoned, 'use' them all. By use I assume he meant paint and game, but I wondred if you don't paint or game with a minaure, does it mean its useless? This was my reply, what are your thoughts?

Ours is a strange hobby, its made up of a few hobbies put together; collecting, modelling miniatures, constructing scenery, gaming, devising fluff and debating. I derive some sort of pleasure out of all of these parts, abit to varying degrees. I own about 8k of marines, 4k of guard, 3k of demons, 1k of orks as well as some old fantasy armies form my childhood. I vary rarely play with any of them, let alone all of them, only about 50% are even painted. Deciding whether I will ever 'use them' is more subjective. My aunty collects thimbles, she wil never sew with them all, but their use to her is just to be owned and collected. I've had the fun of buying, assembling, converting, collecting, and at times painting these models. I know I'm a bit sad, but sometimes I just like looking at them. I like thinking about them, deciding what thier structure is, the history my commander, why my spacemarine home world maintains a PDF etc.

Basically I won't paint or play with many many of these miniatures, but I still use them and I love just owning them.

But then I'm a nerd and I'm ok with that ;-)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree, but there is a point where you should sell what you have not used for a long time... plus, the money can help to make a new army :p.

·
The Keenest of Eyes
672 Posts
Hey

The only difference between our hobby and your Auntie's is that last time I checked, I don't think thimbles cost the amount of money it takes to loan out on a house...

I am on your side here as well, as you do feel a subtle sentimentality that comes with seeing a completed project that you have entrusted your heart and soul (and wallet) into, and then seeing it do well on the tabletop.

The only thing that I think differently on is not playing with everything that you own. Every model of mine is painted, maybe some not to the greatest standards as the others, and every one of my models has been used. There are a number of reasons that I see this for:

1) That of which you have paid for should be used. It should not be hidden from the world, sitting idle on a top shelf in a cupboard, or lying unassembled in the bottom of its box.

2) I would not have bought a particular model if I was not interested in it.

3) I would not have bought a particular model if I did not think it would perform well. Even if it does not perform well, hobby and gaming wise, at least I can say that it was still used, and that I would definitely use it again in friendly matches if I wanted a laugh.

I trust that you can see where I am coming from. Our hobby is a complex one, and what it all comes down to is how you yourself play the game and what you think will work best for you.

Also, I think everyone who plays 40K would have to be a nerd. No mere mortal would be able to comprehend so many rules. That being said, some of us still can't...

Good Hunting.

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong, I've used every model, just not for gaming, some are collectors items to me, some display items etc. My rough riders for example were fun to plan and convert... but I doubt I'll use them in a game again, they die, but I'll not sell them, they represent part of my fluff, a few hours of fun (similar price to a cinema ticket) and one day they will get painted and will sit in my glass cabinet for me to look at. Maybe my orc and high elf armies sitting in the loft are different though, perhaps I should sell them... but then again I'm a hoarder, all my He-Man and lego toys are in the loft too and will never grace ebay ;-)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Ignore this post, or if you're a mod could you please delete it.

-Thanks

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Lol, poor kevin. It was an interesting article wasn't it.
Yes, although I do try to buy things I will use I can still see the psycological effects of simply "having" the miniatures works. I have my current 2000pt IG army layesd out on a shelf in my room and look at my collection multiple times a day, taking pride in them.

I think another thing that adds to this is the "compedative collecting", as we try to one up eachother. Consider for example, you drive your shiny new car home from the dealer for the first time, proud as you can be, then later that day your buddy drives by in his car, which is even better than your own. This will lead to a certain amount of jealousy among hobbyists who may then feel more inclined to buy more as someone else at the gaming store gets more tanks than them, or a new guy shows up and they no longer have the biggest army...

I know a guy who has been trying to collect one of every Chaplain miniature ever produced by GW, he has about 20, with a mixture of terminator armour, jump packs, bikes, chapter specific, special characters... How would he react if someone walked into out local store to play a game, opened his case and he already had one of each chaplain figure?

Just my thoughts on this matter, I know that I am trying to catch up with my friends armoured division of Imperial Guard (He has 8 russes, 2 chimeras, 2 hellhounds, 3 basalisks, and a griffon, I have 4 russes, 4 chimeras, and am getting a Medusa in the near future). I feel the need to compete with him, and if I do ever surpass his armoured division, he may react by getting more!

The Emperor Protects

Reactions: matus

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has 8 russes, 2 chimeras, 2 hellhounds, 3 basalisks, and a griffon, I have 4 russes, 4 chimeras, and am getting a Medusa in the near future). I feel the need to compete with him, and if I do ever surpass his armoured division, he may react by getting more!
agreed. While I've never bought something to make my army larger, my DoW clan and I used to post our armies to see who owned the most, there was some pride in owning the largest army.

On a side note, your two armies sum up the two sides to collecting in my mind. I'd rather have his for 'collecting' sake, I'd much rather have yours from a gaming point of view.

I think my approach to collecting is summed up by the Forge World avarus liter. Its useless in game terms, I'd never 'use' it, its silly expensive for its size... and I really really really want one, I just want to own one. I also want more russes as they are fun to paint, and more chimeras because they may help me actually win a game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts