Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been playing HE for lots and lots of years now and I usually go for a magic heavy army but although I often love to change my unit selections I find I have become a little lazy in kitting out my characters.

I can't remember the last time I didn't use all the points available to my Archmage to buy the 'Book of Hoeth' and make him a real powerhouse. So I was just wondering what other builds you guys like to give your Archmages to make them nice and competative.

Just so you know I usually take at least one other mage, usually two, and make one of these a lvl 1 scroll caddy and give the other the 'Ring of Fury' and the 'Silver Wand'.

Oh and I have recently, (thanks to Chrismas), got a Dragon Mage that I will swap in sometimes for the ring carrying mage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why have a scrollcaddy if you can have 8 levels of magic?! That's insane!
A scrolcaddy is last resort for armies light on mages.

Folariaths robe and Talisman of Saphery makes him allmost impossible to kill. A not so common combo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just recently I have only been taking a single archmage with the jewel of dusk two power stones and two dispell scrolls. a cheap magical investment that can get off the higher value spell when he has too and can stop the most damaging of my enemy's spells. i have used other combinations and have until recently used an archmage and level 2 mage. But like you i have got lazy and am therefore experimenting at the moment. I plan a caledoran army for tournamants latter this year and will try BuckeroO's suggestion of a prince with the radiant gem of hoeth and two level two's

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far guys some really useful ideas.

I did actually try giving my Archmage the 'Talisman of Saphery' and 'Folariath's Robe' along with the 'Jewel of Dusk' when the new book came out. He really did own in the magic phase and my opponent got really annoyed throwing things at him but being unable to damage him.

In the end I ended up playing a fun game of cat and mouse with his 'Arcane Bodkin' armed Noble.

Keep your advice coming please.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I find that if the mage needs help in combat, repeated turns, then you're probably not doing so well in the game. I think an archmage should be kitted to help the magic phase. The only "protection" I would give, would be guardian phoenix. Since he has points, let him caddy the scrolls, give him an arcane item, either silver wand, or the ignore the first miscast rod. Power stones work if hes' not supported by other mages and the banner of sorcery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't use the robe and the amulet on him for protection, only. It's a wonderful decoy as well. It's kinda fun to see two Empire cannons firing at him when the cannon balls just bounces of him.
And you don't have an entire unit just to protect him, which leaves even more tactical options when playing.

I don't say that this is the best way to equip him, but it aint the worst either. ;Y

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
At the moment test list includes an archmage with the book of hoeth. I want to dominate the magic phase and this wonderfully expensive book will help.

Personally I quite like the robe and talisman combo but I see it as a bit of a waste when you could use the points for more potential in the magic phase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.