Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the hardest category to choose from - the 10 best Heavy Support choices. There are just so many good choices out there I'm having problems trying to fit them in. So instead of trying to cram them all into the top10, I've decided to list the....

Top 15 Heavy Supports

15. Daemon Prince - very scary when kitted-up but also very expensive.

14. Killa Kans - 3 dreadnoughts for about the cost of a vindicator? I'll take 9 please.

13. Space Wolf Long Fangs - the only static unit that deserves a top15. A great value and can target 2 separate targets.

12. Vindicator - AV13 S10 demolisher shot...all for $1.15. It's criminally priced.

11. Battlewagon - the best ork transport. Where can you get AV14 for only 90pts (before upgrades)?!? There's nothing scarier than 6 battlewagons w/deff rollas filled with ork boyz and nobz coming your way.

10. Fire Prism - lean, mean, fast combined-shooting machine.

9. Carnifex - the living tank. There's nothing quite as scary as a godfex with 5W, T7, 2+ saves. The only monstrous creature that will hurt even a monolith.

8. Dark Eldar Ravager - fast, cheaper than almost any other heavy support here, and scary good. Quite fragile, but in a raider-spam DE army, the ravager may not even be the primary concern.

7. Obliterator - the only top10 heavy selection that's neither vehicle nor monstrous creature. One of the most versatile heavy choices. There's 2 reasons why Chaos marines are such a great tournamnet army. Lash is one. This is the other.

6. Soulgrinder - the best walker in all of 40k. Fleet, AV13, 2 DCCW's, great weapon options, immune to shaken/stunned...it has no flaw except being non-venerable.

5. Leman Russ - the most versatile tank in 40k. It's very durable, and you have a russ for any and all occasions, whether anti-infantry, anti-tank or both. The scary part is that you can spam up to 9 of them in a guard army

4. Land Raider/LR variant (w/updated PotMS) - it's expensive, but if used properly could be very good. The new Power of the Machine Spirit is so good it's almost criminal. Almost essential to certain armies like the Grey Knights. For them, it's the difference between a mediocre army and a good army (I didn't say great...)

3. Witch Hunter Exorcist - it's a steal for it's price. Imagine 6 48" S8 AP1 shots with AV13 front armor. And it's cheaper than a lot of the vehicles here in the top15. Essential to the success of any Sisters army.

2. Tau Hammerhead (Railhead) - arguably the single most dangerous tank in all of 40k at a price too good to be true. Throw in some upgrades (i.e. disruption pods, multi-tracker, targeting array) and it becomes scary good.

1. Monolith - the most durable tank in all of 40k. It's got both anti-infantry and anti-tank firepower. More importantly, it allows the army a 2nd chance to live as well gives them the mobility that they sorely need. Arguably, it does more for the Necron army strategically than any other heavy support does for theirs.

Honorable mentions

Basilisk & variants - versatile long-range tank. Too bad they're as fragile as a chimera.

Broadsides - the only thing scarier than a railhead are 3 broadsides in cover or with shield drones. Horrendously expensive when kitted-up though.

Defiler - a good value. A tough walker that can dish out large pie plates to boot.

Predator - versatile AV13 vehicle w/3 lascannons for tanks or autocannon + heavybolters for swarms.

Wraithlord - tough, tough mofo. Too bad he's too slow and will get popped by a missile launcher.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Personally i would have Obliterators a little higher.

And i would have the vindicator above some of those other things.

Also, the soulgrinder needs a bit of a boost up the ranks.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Personally i would have Obliterators a little higher.
Well, they're easily popped with las-cannons, and to be honest, they aren't as prevalent in chaos lists as people think. The basic predator with las-sponsons are just as standard in chaos builds as the oblit, and generally possess more staying power. On that note, I'm a little surprised the pred only received an honorable mention. While it's not the dazzling hulk of a daemon prince, nor does it have many bells and whistles, it's just so darn standard in loyalists and traitors alike. A very solid choice at a very fair price.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Personally I'd rate the Hammerhead above the monolith.

The hammerhead at range is more durable as it always has a hull down. It can also move 12" to be hit on only 6's.

It's cheaper.

It's also the bane of the monolith :p

Glavas

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
Personally I'd rate the Hammerhead above the monolith.

The hammerhead at range is more durable as it always has a hull down. It can also move 12" to be hit on only 6's.

It's cheaper.

It's also the bane of the monolith :p

Glavas
The Hammehead doesn't have a portal, A14 all round, Immune to some damage effects or a Deep Strike option does it? :p. Plus, it's generally an all-round tactical joy for any Necron player and I wouldn't be surprised if every Necron Army has one, for it provides the perfect tool to prevent the army from Phasing-out all of a sudden.

Did I mention that the thing is harder than a Land Raider?

And, it really cranks up the annoyance factor when combined with a Res Orb Lord, no matter how many pulse shots we pump into them :freaked-out:.

-Kai-Itza-

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Hammehead doesn't have a portal, A14 all round, Immune to some damage effects or a Deep Strike option does it? :p. Plus, it's generally an all-round tactical joy for any Necron player and I wouldn't be surprised if every Necron Army has one, for it provides the perfect tool to prevent the army from Phasing-out all of a sudden.

Did I mention that the thing is harder than a Land Raider?

And, it really cranks up the annoyance factor when combined with a Res Orb Lord, no matter how many pulse shots we pump into them :freaked-out:.

-Kai-Itza-
Yes. However a landraider is harder to pop for a hammerhead than the 'lith. The landraider can get a hull down.

The lith can't move 12", can't get a hull down, cannot evade any short range weaponry.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone necron army had one, it's the only thing that keeps them competitive. Sad but true.

The lith is great. The hammerhead feels superior at 60 points less, being just as survivable and being able to pump out more fire power.

Glavas

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding monos and railheads, I'd rank the railhead #1...if only tau's didn't have broadsides in their force. Cost-effectiveness is a consideration, but it isn't the only one. Otherwise killa kans, battle wagons, and ravagers would be ranked 1, 2, 3. Just as important is how vital is the unit to the army. Basically, how well would the army do without it?

Hammerheads are great. No one will argue with that. But are they absolutely necessary to a Tau army? Would the Tau army be so such worse off without them? No, because they've got the more expensive broadsides. Granted, broadsides aren't as cost-effective as hammerheads, but you could get 2x for each hammerhead.

Necrons have no substitutes for the monolith. Arguably, the monolith does more for the necrons than any other heavies do for their armies (except for probably grey knights in land raiders). And not only do they hugely boost the necrons, but they're a beast in their own right. They are hands down the most durable vehicle in the game and just as if not more annoying than the hammerhand or any other heavies in the game (and not necessarily as tank-killers).

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
I will take:

11. Battlewagon - the best ork transport. Where can you get AV14 for only 90pts (before upgrades)?!? There's nothing scarier than 6 battlewagons w/deff rollas filled with ork boyz and nobz coming your way.

And LEMAN RUSS with Valks. Now thats a surgical strike force.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have to agree with the Monolith being Number 1.

But, however, I have seen it put in its place on the first shot of the first turn of an Iron man tournament. Sentinel, Las Cannon, Three sixes. Ohhh yeah. Bad day for the Necrons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.