Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Bretonnian Lord

What is the best virtue and magic items available for him? What unit is he best in? What options are a must - or a must avoid - for him?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hail King Ulrik,
Sorry for the inactivity in your threads. I have been keeping track of them! So, Bretonnian Lords this week...
Speaking for a position of little experience, I honestly cannot bank much on Bretonnian characters. At the most, they are able to add an additional few attacks to an already powerful charge, and not much else. I personally believe they operate better independantly, which is a shame, as they tend to end up shredded by ranged weaponry. Nevertheless, we have to take them, and we invariably will take them, if not just for the sheer fun of it.
So, back to Breton Lords. I don't believe there's a set, game-winning load-out for them, but they are capable of packing enough tools to deal with most things. But do we need these?
My answer to this question would be no. A fully-equipped Breton Lord weighs in at between 220-250 points. Of course, this can be made into an effective killing machine, but for that price you could take a unit of 10 Knights of the Realm, Questing Knights or 5 Grail Knights: All of which will invariably do much more damage, last longer, and generally contribute more to a victory!
What I'm trying to say is, yes, a Breton Lord, given, say, the Virtue Of The Ideal, a Gilded Cuirass and a Gauntlet of the Duel, for example, could absolutely storm the battlefield, murdering enemy characters and generally rocking out. But he will be brought low, eventually, and even prioritised for that reason. On the other hand, given some beefy defensive equipment he can offer a small leadership bonus to the army (And I stress, small). But do we need all this?
Again, I don't believe so. Characters are fun, and I am certainly not one for "squeezing every point" out of a list - We play games for fun, and just that. If you're not - you're doing it wrong. But I just can't see the worth of them.
Let me know what you guys think! Remember, this is an opinion of a relatively inexperienced Breton - I'm sure you all have tales to be sung! :pirate:
-SnotlingFondler

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
On one side im agreeing with you (SnotlingFonder)! You even make me wonder why i would bring a lord in the first place..

But the lord brings something to battle that we do not have in lanceformations: actual characterkilling. If we do not have something to bring down a greater daemon or dragon, that thing can go on a free stampede through our flanks

Here's one of the character-killers-Lords from the Character-builds(sticky) thread.
this guy is even more expensive because it needs a flying mount, and its still fragile to artillery, so maneuvering is the only way to keep it alive long enough.

Classification: Duelling Lord
Equipment: Hippogryph, Sword of the Lady's Champion, Armour of Agilulf, Gauntlet of the Duel
Vows and Virtues: Virtue of Confidence, Grail Vow
Total Cost: 438
Tactical Advise: Throw him at units with heros an champions. Make a challenge at which they can't refuse. Then hit on 3+ and wound on 3+ (both re-rollable) and a Hippogryph for extra overkill wounds!

Im just not sure what to use, if not this guy.
Love to hear other ideas to deal with bigbosses though :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
ALL Bretonnian characters are weak when compared to any other races. With that being said, there strong suit is in supporting the fight. Any characters I run have items that benefit the army as oposed to themselves. But when it comes to the Bretonnian Lord I roll with Questing KB large Targets on a Hippogryph. He's expendable but very useful in most fights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bretonnian Characters are pretty weak not because they are themselves but because of the magic items/virtues list which are defected in my opinion.

I dont rly think of them as less good than characters of other races. It all depends how you use them !

I usually field my bretonnian lord on a royal pegasus or with a unit of KOTR or Grail knights.

If he's on a pegasus ill equip him into a monster killing lad, otherwise ill make him a supporting character who will increase the punch of the unit he is with and perhaps protect it ( ruby goblet for example works wonders )

i always equip him to the teeth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've always been fond of Virtue of the Knightly Temper. Something about a potential 8 kills.

Gromril Greathealm is an excelent defensive item.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts