Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Bull Centaurs

Are the armour/weapon options worth the points? How useful are they in the army? What tactics work best with them?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I have yet to play a game with the new Chaos Dwarfs although I have bought Tamurkhan and have been enthuiastically painting my old Chaos Dwarf models. I just need to order 20 Fireglaive Chaos Dwarfs and my 2000pt army will be ready.

With that preamble out of the way and the proviso that I haven't played a game yet I would say that Bull Centaurs should be a good supporting unit for the Chaos Dwarfs. For one thing they are rock solid on the defence. Toughness 5 3 wounds and a 3+ save as standard not to mention Ld 9 and the option of shields!.

On the attack side of things they only have 2 attacks which is disappointing for Monstorous Beasts but can have great weapons bringing their strength up to 6. At 10 points this is a bit pricey but will probably be worth it.

One tactic I have heard is to run them in units of 4 two by two. Because the are Monsterous Beasts the second rank will still get to attack while denying the enemy frontage (i.e less enemey models in base to base). This becomes even more cheeky when you realise that until FW produce models you can run them on normal cavelry bases (i.e the ones supplied with the model).

I personally will use them as shock troops to hit flanks and break through lighter units of missile troops rather than as a 'main line' unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im thinking spears, str 5 on the charge, still a reasonable str 4 afterwards and the ability to use shields for a 2+ save, not bad.

iv got a list that uses 6 of them as a hammer unit for my gunline/blocks at 2500, thinking any increase in points and id rock a centaur hero in there with 5 of them in a sort of similar role to throgg and troll retinue.

they are quite survivable but only 2 attacks is a bit disappointing.

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Its a shame they have just 2 attacks.

In all honesty i was expecting 4, or 3 if S5 attacks, but they seem to have gone a different way with BC maing them more durable. On the pluss side im not affraid to go with GWs because of the the 3 wounds and T5.

I dont think i would waste my time with he additional hand weapon, it would only bring my attacks up to 3 + stomp at S4. If i had an extra attack on my profile i would consider it to help wittle down units, but i would rather boost thier Strength to help them take on other elite units. Great weapons i think will be the way forward, but its a toss up with spears and shield for the same cost. Being Int3 will help with spears but its still only average, and against most elite its a little below par.

Having 2 attacks is almost compensated with Stomp, but at S4 its not quite as effective as i would like. Being that Stomp is used against models in base contact, Does this mean when running a unit in a 2x2 block that the 2 BC in the wont get thier stomp attack? Not sure how it works with the second rank being able to make Supporting Attacks and Stomp.

·
Registered
515 Posts
supporting attacks can not stomp, also stomp is kinda limited in what you get to hit with it. A lot of dangerous stuff that I would throw "heavy calv" at otherwuse can't be stomped. Only Infantry, beasts, and swarms. Honestly I think Bulls should be slapped with great weapons and flung at weaker str(below 5) enemies to take advantage of their high T and W, while pounding them down. but if your common opponents have a common toughness of 3, such as Elves, Men, Skaven, and goblin rich O&G, I would strap shields and make them tanky.

They are really expensive on points per attack, but they are really rich on points per T/W, tanking advantage of that is the key normally. If they end up on 40mm Bases I will cry though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts