Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Dreadlord

What are the best mundane and magical options for him? What unit benefits the most from his presence, or where is best placed in the army? Are the mounted options worth the points?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
Registered
326 Posts
The only times I take a Dreadlord it is on a dragon, or on in a for fun list with a Cold one mount. Almost always take the unkillable options when on dragon (the 4+ save, inverse ward, regen) and the hydra blade potion of strength combo when on cold one.

Unless you are doing something that only a dreadlord can do (like ride a dragon and not be mixed up role like a SS would be) a master is more efficient. The lord slot is usually better served by a LVL 4 mage.

So my position would be best stated as being against a dreadlord except in dragon list, or a in fun list.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
He's not bad when outfitted for anti-heavy infantry, but every time I bring him I miss my Supreme Sorceress. I usually field the latter and run a BSB with my Cold One Knights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally, I hate magic and have terrible luck with it, so a Dreadlord is always my lord of choice. I usually run the unkillable one (my version: Crimson death, PoK, Regen Armor) him on a Cold One to beef up my CoK. With him and a champ that's 10 str 6 attacks on the charge (not counting the cold ones' attacks, who surprise me every now and then), pretty deadly. I've also taken him with a unit of 13 BG (7 wide), gave him PoK and GoP, with the BG ASF, almost alway wounding on 2s with no armor save is pretty huge for DE and makes of a beast of a unit.

For what he does, he's pretty cheap and very flexible. Yes, the SS can do great, but honestly, I've had trouble taking out tough characters with her. most of her magic tends to do well against weaker, numerous opponents (except for lore of fire, which is great for sniping characters, but i think a lvl 2 can do almost as well for way less points since it's just a 5+ cast ). However, a +1 armor save, reverse WS, and regen will allow him to grind down almost any heavy hitting lord.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't like adding dreadlords to units since it usually doubles or more the total cost of the unit. Most of the magic weapons you can equip him with aren't much better than just going with a great weapon or lance.

A lvl 2 wizard does not do as well as a level 4, having -2 PD -1 DD, -2 spells, and a low item budget means that a lvl 2 just won't get the job done compared to a properly built lvl 4. A single lvl 4 with a dagger can generate more dice than many 3 wizard armies. Trying to use a SS to take out characters is a job for specialized lores like metal or death. I don't see any target a character spells in lore of fire, can you tell me which one you are talking about?

Anyways, a SS is a mass casualty generator, DE have other ways to take out typical characters. Try using an assassin, a pendant master w/ GW, a hydra can do well against characters, sacrifice a challenge monkey (I mean champion), or just do what I do: Avoid the character, flank charge and crush his unit. Trying to play hero hammer when other armies get more from it is silly. For those points one can buy entire units that actually add to the DE strategy, rather than counter your opponents character for a round or two.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Recognize Your Chain said:
I've had trouble taking out tough characters with [the Supreme Sorceress].
I have trouble taking out most enemy characters no matter what I do...Elf fragility and all that. Our mobility makes attrition tactics more attractive than straight fights and I get good results from letting the enemy win challenges while I win the combat...hence my distaste for the Dreadlord.

notabot187 said:
Avoid the character, flank charge and crush his unit.
Actually, this is one of the best uses I've found for a Dreadlord--put him in a Dark Riders unit. Dark Riders by themselves can't get anything other than the flank bonus against most enemy blocks but having a Dread to cause a lot of wounds keeps them alive and negating ranks. Meanwhile, he can be anywhere you need his leadership, or possibly his Ring of Hotek.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see any target a character spells in lore of fire, can you tell me which one you are talking about?
whoops, I meant the lore of metal's rule of burning iron.

One of the reasons I tend to favor the dreadlord is probably because 1) i play dwarves a lot and magic is quite scary to take against them, I also play O&G a lot and their high T causes a lot of the mass casualty attacks to be rather futile (except against the goblins). 2) we usually don't bother with VP's, and just play til we run out of pieces, so having Grimgore Ironhide running around smashing my units by himself because I have nothing to deal with him is quite annoying.

So granted, my opinion is effected by my frequent opponents. However, I have gone magic heavy a couple of times and every time I end up hating it. It can be quite powerful, however (as DE and most other units in most other army save for Skaven) there's no other aspect of this game where you can kill yourself with a bad roll, in addition, no other aspect of the game can just be completely canceled by bringing and item (dispell scroll). I'm not going to smash my CoK into the side of a unit and cause massive casualties just for my opponent to say 'oh, i have a dis-kill scroll, so what you earned just didn't count.' Thus I find it frustrating, so combined with that and my lack of a ton of models to make 3 more units for the points, I bring along my dreadlord. Plus I like the mounted mini to boot.

On another note, I too like to bring a master with my DR, but I like to give him the life taker + a lance. For some reason I've really come to love the LT, it's not a unit killer, but it's very consistent and can add a lot. It brings the extra punch the DR need to make them a little more versatile.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So you like the dreadlord because you don't play the standard missions, you play against a small assortment of armies, and you don't like randomness of magic? I really don't think that PoV is a proper one for a discussion of the dreadlord on his own merits, but to each his own.

I would like to point out that yes, your opponent could negate your cold one kills, if he is undead...

I too like the life taker, but I usually give it to a wizard, since she is going to have LoS, not be in combat much (hopefully not at all) and it is great for when you need to take out skirmishers and fast cav. it usually belongs in a unit that can't normally fire, so you can pick out targets just for it, as opposed to firing at the same thing the unit fires at.

When I take a dreadlord on dragon, I almost always take a rxb or 2x rhb, since his BS 6 is too good to waste. Also since the dragon will likely breath/terror bomb a couple of times a game, having something for him to do while the dragon does its thing is nice.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Doesn't the DreadLord get an advantage in that if you use him and put him on a Manticore, it does not count as one of your hero slots as well? Whereas if you use anything else on a Manticore, it uses up one of your slots?

I can see the usefulness of that, in that it saves a slot for the extra sorcerress. Still, you have to account for points and sometimes that add sup.

·
859 Posts
Heroes on a Manticore take up two Hero slots, Lords on a Manticore just take up one Lord slot, so a Sorceress can be on one too

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love using a Dread Lord in a high point cost battle with a unit of cold one knights. If I can use him and a supreme sorc. in the same battle, I try to. Or if I have the points, use him and Morathi. I love putting him on a cold one for some extra armor at a cool 20pts. Using armor of Regen, Pendant of gross ward saves, and heavy armor/shield/sea dragon cloak (sword of battle if I can squeeze it in) is a nice combo. He just never dies. But in regular battles I usually just put together a Master with similar options, who is still pretty damn hard to drop.

For example, in a game campaign coming up, we are incorporating rules where each general is carrying a piece of an artifact. A huge victory point boost goes to the player who has collected these relics from other generals. Having it being held by an armored out dread lord makes it REALLY hard for my opponents to get the item off him. While most players are hiding their general so he never gets hit, I'm using those 200pts to aggressively smash their troops, not having too much fear for his life. Granted, this is a VERY SPECIFIC use for his un-dropable status, but it's a good example of his effectiveness.

My vote is 2500pt+? Use a Dread Lord. Most others. Stick with a Master (or Masters) and a powerful spell caster and a scroll jockey.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Using armor of Regen, Pendant of gross ward saves, and heavy armor/shield/sea dragon cloak (sword of battle if I can squeeze it in) is a nice combo.
The regen armor is heavy armor so you can't stack another heavy armor on there. Makes it pretty hard (in fact I think impossible) to get a 2+ save on a Lord on foot with a 2-hander to provide some decent offense. That's the main thing that keeps me from ever fielding that nasty guy on foot, cold one seems to be the only option to me.

Anyway, I rarely use Lords and such because I can rarely justify their benefits or use. Why not just get more troops that will be more versatile and, for me, more fun to play with. I see the use in some characters, but in 2250 (the range I always play in), I can't see the need for a lord. If the enemy has some mighty character of ultimate killiness, then I'll find a way to tie him up or avoid him with my better mobility and versatility and then kill the rest of his severely underpowered army that suffers from focusing on one-thing. That's my take on things anyway.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The dread lord certainly has his advantages, but with the inherent advantages of the SS, I can see why the DL does not get as much play as he should.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Would someone mind explaining what the "unkillable lord" is ? like equipment wise, i am planning on using a black dragon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts