Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Dwarf Lord

What is the best setup for this guy? What unit is he best used in? Why take him over any others?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
My favorite lord choice, I give him a tank setup, as I try to keep him nice, simple and above all cheap.

All I need him to do is confer ld 10, make the hammerers immune to fear and terror, and chop up a few enemies, or keep the enemy's ultimate character of doom busy while the hammerers or other units destroy his unit and make him run away.

My own build is this:
Dwarf lord
shieldbearers
rune of stone
rune of warding
Master rune of steel
Master rune of spite
great weapon

This build makes him incredible at tanking for relatively little cost. Even cannonballs will wound on 4's, and even against a bloodthirster ( I went up against one of those recently ) he will easily be able to hold out. Enemies will wound on 4's max, leaving a 3+ save, and a 4+ ward ( against attacks that ignore armoursaves, and other. ) With his great weapon he causes a few wounds.

Shieldbearers are a must, and there is no reason whatsoever why not to take this option. It adds to the save, makes him immune to killing blow, grants him 2 extra str4 attacks ( these basically replace the 2 hammerers your lord replaces in the front rank, but they can't be killed, even if the front rank dies. ) and gives him a bigger frontage so in a 5 wide front he will be able to hit most enemies, challenging won't be required anymore to hit pesky heroes hiding a few models away from where your lord is.

I like the lord more than the runelord and daemonslayer. The runelord is just a buffed runesmith, and you should only take one for an anvil of doom, but the anvil is just not my taste, as I want my superexpensive stuff to be reliable, and an anvil explodes so easy, unless you only use normal power, and even then the risk is luring in the corner. rolling 2 1's and it's gone.
The Daemonslayer is just pure elf ( yes, that's right, I used elves as a curseword! ) , it's a slightly better dragonslayer in a lord choice, and totally not worth it. Its hardly any better than the dragonslayer choice, but twice as expensive, and he adds nothing to your army, because he will run around on his own, he's pretty vulnerable too.

So lord for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only addition I would make to TBO's comments is that I sometimes find it useful to put the MR of Swiftness on the lord. With it he can try to take out the front rank of the enemy to give the hammerers a chance to survive and strike back (wheres my gromril dammit!)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok
When a dwarf lord is born, he does not have a craddle, 2 new born dwarfs are put at work to carry him, and he dies that way without learning to walk.
So Lord is Born on Shieldbearers!

My basic setup for a Dwarf Lord is
Shieldbearers Immune to KB and poison
Gw
Shield
Rune of Stone+Rune of resistance (-1+ armor save or 1+ armor save depending on using the Gw or not)
Master rune of challenge + Rune of furnace (most of my enemies use lore of metal, i don't want them to snipe my lord easily)
233 pts,
cheap choppy, most-survivable

Put him in Hammerers, giving immune to fear and terror.

I lose to be able to charge if i don't have anvil in the roster, however i know that my hammerers will be punishing opponents.

İ try to field at least 4 CC units if i have lord on my list. 3 FC and 1 or 2 10 man units.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
Shieldbearers Immune to KB and poison
Gw
Shield
Rune of Stone+Rune of resistance (-1+ armor save or 1+ armor save depending on using the Gw or not)
Master rune of challenge + Rune of furnace (most of my enemies use lore of metal, i don't want them to snipe my lord easily)
233 pts,
Alas a dwarf lord can never have better than a 1+ save. its the sheild bearers wording, a bit annoying really.

my own dwarf lord builds tend to be a bit more agressive.

Dwarf lord
shieldbearers
greatweapon
rune of stone
master rune of kragg the grim
rune of snorri
rune of fury
master rune of challenge.

admittedly a bit expensive but this fellow can carve up armies when supported by his hammerer bodyguard. if i'm playing a large enough game i'll go ahead and put a rune of slowness on the hammerer's banner and use the challenge/slowness combo to drag critical enemy units into charge range and then stop them at the last moment for a counter charge next turn.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If i use a dwarf lord it goes up with a unit of hammerers(19)My lord has he following equipment:Shieldbearers,great weaponWeapon-Ms rune of kragg the grimm-rune of snorri spangelhelm-rune of cleavingArmour-rune of stoneTalisman-Ms rune of spiteMy lord can do some very good damage in combat while with a 1+ armoursave an a 4+ wardsave he's pretty hard to kill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts