Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Great Eagle

Why take this over the Repeater Bolt Throwers? What use does it have in the army?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like eagles but I prefer using all my rare slots for bolt throwers. If I were to use eagles they'd be for march blocking or machine hunting but I have other units that do that for me like shadow warriors or ellyrian reavers. Although a hero on a eagle with a reaver bow or star lance/loec would be pretty annoying too and not take up my precious rare slot for bolt throwers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I learned to love eagles slowly. I used to also like to go for RBT's all the way, but two of the main players I play with are Empire and Daemons, and Empire's cannon easily 1-shots my RBT's. So I opted for 3 eagles to charge his warmachines hill or flank charge his outriders and hold them for a turn or two. against a warmachine crew they do great because all it needs to do is 1 wound and you outnumber with your US3 against the remaining 2 crewmen.

Also against my Daemons friend I tried 1 eagle which worked nicely in march blocking his melee line, just need to hide from his flamers LOS, which is easy. This way the rest of my shooting kept whittling away at his fast daemonettes over 3-4 turns instead of 2. while other slower units only reached melee on turn 5. much to the dismay of my daemons friend ;)

Also, they help greatly in redirecting enemy cavalry charges. Or bait a frenzied unit to expose a flank.

I learned to love them only because my empire friend forced me to use them, and I thank him for it ^^

·
2,244 Posts
These are a must have, I don't think that they are better than Bolt Throwers but I think that some element of disruption is more essential to HE than the RBT. I think that Eagles do the disruption better than Reavers and Shadow Warriors but as RBT are our best shooting it is a difficult trade off.

Personally I always include 2 Eagles, occasionally one of the eagles is ridden by a noble.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Normally I try to play with great eagles. They are flexible, can block the ennemys marches and are very useful to redirect frenzy units.
Another bonus is that they normally can attack ennemy warmachines at the 2nd round.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great eagles are amazing. For rare choices I really think the optimal setup for most armies is going to be 3x RBT and 1x GE. The great eagle frees up 50 points compared to a 4th RBT and allows you to march block key units pretty well, giving your three RBTs plenty of time to shoot up things they need to while the rest of your army engages the things you allowed to march.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Everras has a good point there.
An eagle is able to give 3 RBTs an extra shooting phase, which is more effective than 4 RBTs with one shooting phase less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts