Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is Orc Boyz.

What uses are there for them? Is it better to have a shield for more armour or go for the extra attacks from the second choppa? Do you bother with a full command or just one or two pieces of it?

Discuss.

Kuffy

·
Registered
16 Posts
all i know is that when i have done 2 units of 25 i always do full command and hand weapon shield. there great when drawing your opponent out who uses War hydras, stegs, calvery or chariots. i usually screen them with flying doom divers and fanatics and hit the enemy going towards them with wolf rider flank charges. it doesnt work 100% of the time but most of the time it does. i only say this bc i do a warboss on boar in a unit of 22 black orcs and 42 night gobbos with gobbo big boss with bad moon on a stick in the center. in conclusion i think there ok if you use them right always do hand weapon shield :)

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
hmmmm...

I dont know. I dont really see what these guys do better than the night goblin regiments. i can see it takes some tactical skill to get these guys in the right position, and if you dont, they will get eaten alive by most enemies i can think of.

suppose we look at the units Mindlust mentions:
Hydras stegs, cavalry, chariots.
now we have movement 4 so lets assume the other ones charge.
If you charge the orcs they will start dieing, and they will not hit back, or not cause many a wound. If you have a unit of night goblins, exactly the same happens.
only differences i see is that the Goblins are cheaper and can add a fanatic. The fanatic can do substantial damage to any of these chargers.

soooo the main difference would be, the orcs get str5 in turn 1 of combat, while goblins tend to keep their rankbonus for longer (the unit will be bigger).

In what kind of situation would a Choppa be a good deal?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I tend to run a magic heavy list so I roll out with three units 25 deep, full command, HW & SLD. We all know the rule about the extra power dice when 'nough orcs be fight'n. Then I usually have 4 chariots and two giants running around the field with some wolves and spider riders. The orcs hold the line and then everything else should be crashing into the flanks, but as we all know the best laid plans of gobos and orcs often go awry...

But I digress. HW and SHD so they can hold up whatever enemy while they generate extra power dice and hold out for something to smash up an enemy flank.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i allways forget those extra powerdice for big lumps of orcs. maybe i dont use them orcses enough.

so you would suggest not to take 2 choppas, but just go for the hw+ shield?
When do you take big uns?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i just played 3 games against warriors of chaos and admittedly only won one of them but its not helpped by me constantly forgetting i have morks spirit totem, anyway night goblins and there fanatics are lethal 2 of them got 9 hits into 5 chaos knights and needless to say the knights didnt have a man standing afterward. however i only took one unit of night goblins and 3 units of 25 orcs 2 with additional choppas and 1 with choppa and shield. if you get the charge with these guys say u are 5x5 with full command thats 11 attacks, you might kill 2 or 3 at best, if you only have 6 attacks you arent going to kill 1, thus i have deduced night golbins wouldnt be able to accomplish this, the sheer brute force of boyz earns them a right in an army =] but as before mentioned the shields are good for holding the enemy in place, also they are only 7 points with add choppa so really more then worth 2 NG's

anyway i now sincerly appologies for spelling mistakes and bad gramma and lazy english as im mildly drunk and its midnight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think that a unit of 20 - 25 orcs with shields and full command can do well against almost anything as long as they keep their rank bonus. Many people tend to forget why you pay the extra points for orcs rather than NG's. Their higher T means that they don't die as easy as NG's which makes them better in CC as every casualty is one more point for the enemy. And if you add a bigboss with great weapon they can make some wounds against heavy cavalry.

·
Registered
352 Posts
well, with GW selling them in boxes of 19 (!?!), usually turns out me using 18 big 'uns w/ shield spear and banner of butchery, 6*3. I think I'd rather have black orcs than boyz with 2 choppas. And personally an orc is definitely worth more than 2 night goblins.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i allways forget those extra powerdice for big lumps of orcs. maybe i dont use them orcses enough.

so you would suggest not to take 2 choppas, but just go for the hw+ shield?
When do you take big uns?
I just take hw+sld, I don't take big uns. I use the orcs to hold people in place while giants, chariots, wolfs, and other nasties hit flanks and rears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts