Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

Are they worth it in a Tomb Kings army? What unit size? How do you use them?

Discuss

Kuffy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are they worth it?
yes and no.
Amazing models, that pack a punch, and love to annihlate things with flank charges.
Str 6 is awesome

Their Con is having T4, and an armour save of 5+. Seriously I love them, but I can never get them across the table, without being shot down.

I use them in groups of 4 if I can. And Thanks to there slightly better movement, i try to put them in a place where i can align them for a flank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, as said the models are awesome. Score one

They offer the punch TK often lack, apart from the SSC and the odd killing blow.
I use them in units of 4, but only charge them when the enemy has closed in (I always play defensive)
I put them behind my archers and raise them instead of letting them out in theopen (in lack of terrain, that is)

When enemies come with giants and dragons, you want these guys at your back, because the scorpion isnt going to kick enough balls against the tough guys and the guards are too slow.

So there is my tactic. :soldier:

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
I would say yes, if you know how to use them :)

Ushabtis are devastating for your opponent if used in a flank charge, if protected from ranged attacks and not thrown into unnecessary combats.

When I field them, they always work in a unit of 4. This makes them dish out a nice amount of attacks, but still doesn't cost too much counting on what they grant you (which btw is the main reason to why I skip Ushabtis the most games - they cost too much, actually).

They are simply a tougher "Chariot Unit" with slower Movement :p

//Nagash

·
Registered
21 Posts
I occasionally run 3 in games up to 1500pts. maybe 1 out of 5 games. I try to use them as flankers, or main chargers vs smaller units.

I always run 4 in any games of higher points. Flankers, or I use them to charge fronts AFTER a flank is hit. (ie vs WoC)

I've never had any issue with them. they "can" die just as easy from being charged or bad dice rolling in HTH, but being fire magnets?
To my opponents, it seems like the BG, Casket, Scorps, Carrion, and Chariots, and SSC are top priority.

There are some simple things i've used with them, like an IB on a steed + IoSE with them vs opponents w/ little or no magic, or a king jumping in to help. nothing grand except when the Dice gods are smiling.

·
859 Posts
Unit of four generally, but that's only at 1,500 points. I've not played higher points yet, and even them I have phantom models which make my partner foam at the mouth.

Am tempted to try taking a massive unit of eight some day just to see what happens :)

I personally like them a lot, I think they could perhaps be less brittle, but for supportive attacks they can be great. Would also be nice if they counted as having great weapons, or perhaps had the option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run 4 and agree with everything said above. There low armor and T4 make them targets. I normally get one good charge with them, wipe out what they charged then get taken out on the counter charge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I generally run with about 3. I would agree that they are awesome models, but sadly are incredible pincushions, as no enemy general wants Ushabti crashing into his front lines. Knowing this, I actually use them as a sponge for missile fire (sad, but true). The enemy fills them full of arrows and magic missiles, leaving the rest of the army relatively unscathed. Used in conjunction with a Heirophant tag-team, they can generally hold the enemy's attention (particularly if they are in your center) for long enough to get your main troops close enough to engage.

If they survive long enough to get into combat, then Strength 6 is an added bonus.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I generally run with about 3. I would agree that they are awesome models, but sadly are incredible pincushions, as no enemy general wants Ushabti crashing into his front lines. Knowing this, I actually use them as a sponge for missile fire (sad, but true). The enemy fills them full of arrows and magic missiles, leaving the rest of the army relatively unscathed. Used in conjunction with a Heirophant tag-team, they can generally hold the enemy's attention (particularly if they are in your center) for long enough to get your main troops close enough to engage.

If they survive long enough to get into combat, then Strength 6 is an added bonus.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Worth it? Hell yus...

I always run a unit of 4 in any games 1500pts+. In smaller games a nice unit of 3 can be used to great effect too. They are just about the only TK unit that has any real killing potential in combat against the majority of enemy units.

·
Registered
265 Posts
having tried a unit of 10 ushabti... i will say it was amuzing watching them absorb a dwarf gunnery line as my tomb guard followed them across the bored the King pushing the units along while the priests stayed out of crossfire and kept the ushabti flush.

in general in an army i run TG in i have one unit of 4 ushabti, when i run skelly tarpit i run two units. but thats at 2250. i start packing ushabti at any points 1000+ with a minimum unit size of 4. unless i'm feeling ballzy and running a mobile list of horsesy chariots and 3 small groups of 3 ushabti.
i know. bonkers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like them. I started taking them because I though the model looks nice but theyve always done me good. They make a great flaking unit and the S6 is perfict for smashing through armour. The down side is they have a bairly above average T and the worthless armour save. All the rumors point to them gettin a slight increase to there armour save and a movement increase so I imagin we can look forward to them getting even better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have only used them once but for me they performed very well, as long as they get the charge they tend to mince most things before they even get to strike back. I took 4 which seems the ideal size, I would take 2 units if i had enough special slots but competition is stiff for the special slots :pI think they are important for our army because apart from our king, who is of course excellent, he can't be everywhere at once and we have almost nothing else with good strength. Chariots are faster, but against an opponent that is toughness 4 or better and has a decent save, they dont garauntee the same kind of damage that ushabti do.The only thing i would say needs improving is their survivability because for 65 points their toughness and save are a bit low, but having 3 wounds helps :p Lets hope they get better armour next book 'cos I doubt they'd give a 3 wound per model unit toughness 5 ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I always want to take them but usually take carrion first, than 2x scorps, than debate vs. TG or Ushabti. I think in all my games it's been an even split between those two units. The Ushabti have either done tremendous damage or nothing, while the TG have always hung around a nice middle ground. I've sometimes tried running them with a prince in their unit or even the loathsome standard bearer...I sometimes go only with a single priest. I've tried them in larger units, of 6 or 8, or a s small as 3, but find 4 the best, but only because of their cost. One thing that would be nice would be if they, and other such large based creatures, could form ranks....3 Ushabti would get a rank bonus of one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts