Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

How many per unit? Which dance is the best/most useful? Are the options open to them worth it? How do you use them?

Discuss

Kuffy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use 2 units of 7 with full command. I like to stick a BSB in one group and a wardancer character in the other. I wish there were more magic weapons for the character, but I like how Wardancer weapons work. I find the dances to be situational, but if I had to rank them it would be Storm of Blades, Killing Blow dance, Ward Save dance, ASF dance.

·
OM NOM NOM
370 Posts
What I like most about dancers is that I can charge them against a fully ranked unit of mediocre block troops (empire swordsmen, clanrats) and expect them to win by a crushing margin. It's probably luck, but almost everything in my army now commands an irrational fear from my opponents.

·
4,361 Posts
I run units of 7 or 8. Bladesinger if a character will join the unit. Musician if I have extra points floating around.

For the dances, storm of blades is great on a charge, 4+ ward is great when receiving a charge, killing blow if you really need to take out a character, and always strike first for those other ASF units (especially high elves).

SirKently

·
859 Posts
Apparently the optimum unit size is 6. I generally use a minimum of 8 though. They are excellent harriers I find and can hold their own in combat versus rank and file armour monkeys.

I always take a command from afforementioned OCD :p

I tend to use the ASF dance if I get in the rare position of recieving a charge, you get a +2 strength on charging? Well I better get to you first then!

Killing Blow is great against armoured units that are just getting tedious, I usually just alternate storm of blades and the 4+ save though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Apparently the optimum unit size is 6. I generally use a minimum of 8 though.
Hmm, they can rank up seven, so I think seven would be optimized. Though, they are threatening in numbers down as low as five. I like running 8 when I have the points to just have some more wounds.

Also, I like, if I have the points/slots, putting a dude with the blades of loec in there. Between s5 re-rolling wounds on the charge, and killing blow potential, he turns the war dancer unit into a nice can opener! Course, I usually run him as a Highborn with the netlings as well, so he's competing with other lord choices and rarely gets taken. As a hero he's competing with the standard alter or BSB and double dispel caddies. So he usually only sees 1k-1.5k games.

They are excellent harriers I find and can hold their own in combat versus rank and file armour monkeys.
Totally! I find them hugely peferable to comprabable elite rank and file. Bang for buck, things like Chosen and black guard are not going going to get much more static combat resolution on War Dancers. Other elite choices get inefficient past unit size 10 anyways. When you're taking a unit that small anyways, being skirmishers is a huge advantage!

Of course, Chosen and Black Guard can be anvils, and can be much harder to get rid of (chosen cause of their saves and black guard cause of the Banner of Hag Graef (asf) + Hydra Banner (+1attack in first round) combo). But, that's just the way the army books play out. They don't get glade guard. :p

When it comes down to it, War Dancers are by far my favorite elite infantry in any codex. I never leave home without at least two units of seven!

But heck, when it comes down to it, Wood Elves are by far my favorite army book; mostly because they fight exactly the way I would and are uber efficient!

·
Registered
415 Posts
As said above, I like to run wardancers in units of 7 or 8. And use them together with the dryads for neat combo charges. there isnt much that stays alive after suchs a charge!
There are two simple reasons why I love them:
-They strike fear in the hearts of the enemy;
-They should be feared, cause of the hurting they can do!

And its the only unit I can use to strike first against those High Elf bastards! Which is a reason to take them with me on its own. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
i like my war dancers in units of 8 (seven if im looking to shave points)

against any lightly armored unit the storm of blades dance is absolutely disgusting and heavy armored units the KB dance can be helpful but i usually dont like to rely on 6s.

I've started to a take a liking to putting a champion in the unit even if i dont pop a noble in there i happen to like that extra attack, and sometimes challenging with that KB threat looming ther is enough to make you opponent not want to accept

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I first started playing wood elves.. I had alot of fun in running 2 units of 11. One with a lord with annoyance of netlings, and wardancer weapons. I still couldn't believe i could actually beat a huge unit with nice SCR due to the amount of attacks i poured out on the charge and with the dances. Yea I only got 7 wide but with 3 attacks each who needs SCR. I wonder how if we get a new book.. it'll fair.. with them making ghouls non skirmishing.. and our nemesis.. beastmen mainly non skirmishing.

Best thing I like.. I got charged by some black orcs, and rear charged by spider riders.. and managed to stay in combat for 3 turns before dying completely. I lost the game.. but still holding them up was fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have my WD in units of 7 like many about. I really love them and they freaking good on a charge. I love to beat the hell of of bigger unit with 21 S4 attack on a charge (with storm of blades). one of the big problem for me is that I can never let them get charged since the low save and then I only get S3 on all other attacks.
As said before I use storm of blades on charges and killing blow if characters or mounted units and if they get charged aways strike if the unit that charges have few attack otherwise I take 4+ward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am new to WEs and Warhammer in general and have maybe a newb question.

Against other ASF opponents is it usually better to use the ASF dance or the +1 attacks? Particularly on the charge you are missing out on the strength bonus on an extra attack though you are making sure you might get the maximum number of attacks against the other unit as well as ensuring the survival of your wardancers for that round of combat... or maybe then would the 4+ ward be more effective?

Of course I understand this would all depend on how squishy etc the opposing unit is or how devastating their attacks are etc..

·
Registered
241 Posts
if you use the ASF dance just make sure your Initiative is higher than theirs.
i would normally do a lil math hammer. if i have 8 war dancers charging and there is a possibilty of more than half of them dropping before the get to strike i would probably think of protecting them by going first or ward. Otherwise id sling more attacks at them

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Holy thread necromancy batman...

Regardless of that, they're mainly used as either a Bodyguard for your casters, or an assassination tool to destroy opposing casters. Generally speaking if they're taken, it's in a small group.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry about the Necromancy thought I wouldn't be more than a week late lol. I just decided to post cause they were the most recent in the topic of the week and I am trying to decide if I should keep the wardancer unit I have or scrap em for tree kin but that's in 1000 points.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How are you guys finding wardancers to be after 8th.
I haven't played them since the release of 8th ed. This is primarily because of two reasons:
1) In the relatively few games I played in previous editions, I never used them correctly.
2) Most posts state that they are not worth taking after the new edition.

However, I am going to use them in my next game or the game after that. I have the models; I might as well use them.

Sidewinder

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
They're still good, just not in the same way as before. In 5th edition they were a rocket-powered blender that would annihilate almost anything in their path without fear of retribution. In 6th, they're still a rocket powered blender than can kill almost anything in their path, but the literal truckload of rules benefiting blobbed infantry basically means that skirmishers will always lose in combat against them no matter how many wounds they cause. Because they're skirmishers and they can never have ranks, they can't even disrupt ranks on the flank/rear (which is the dumbest rule, imho). However, their killing power can be put to use in one of two ways as I mentioned above. They fit the MSU strengths of our army and can kill a vast range of pesky characters without much effort, just don't expect them to live long enough to tell the tale. This can be circumvented by luring them into a multi-charge with Treekin/dryads/eagles/warhawks/wildriders and doing your worst to them. However, usually you use them like a gun. Point them at the enemy caster and rip it to pieces.

The other use they have is the bodyguard I mentioned. Take a unit, put your caster(s) in them, and stick them in woods. Now they're stubborn and the enemy isn't when they go for the giant pile of points that is your general instead of the smaller units hardly worth 150 points. The best trick with this is to actually run a Moonstone of Hidden Ways and teleport to another forest and leaving the would-be assassins in a terrible position.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Complete Garbage....I have 32 Beautiful Painted Wardancers sitting on my Shelves for a Good 2 years now. Sadness is all I feel for the Dancers.

Their So good that you should COvert all their points into Treekin.

In fact...Convert all your Wood Elf points into Treekin.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I agree with the above opinion. You can use them as suicide squads to try and gib one character before they drop, but that's about it as far as usefulness is concerned. They're not killy because they only have S3, they're not good defensively because of how expensive they are, and they can't disrupt ranks or negate steadfast, so they're just not that useful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts