Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Paint scheme should I do?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have decided to redo my orks after extreme displeasure over their apperance, and I can't decide between these two. Either, light and cartoony-esque classic look,

Warhammer 40,000

or realistic, dark look

Games Workshop Imagery

I can't choose, and I love both looks! What should I do?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Cartoony!

I prefer the light green 'cartoony' paint scheme, mainly because it goes better with dark colors.

Basically, I'd suggest the color that's going to stand out more against their armor and weapons. If you were planning to paint their armor a bright color, then I'd go dark and realistic for their skin.

Personally, I like dark armor, so bright green skin looks better. I started with a base coat of black paint, then I painted on catachan green, and on top of that I dry brushed snot green on. It came out pretty well overall.

You can also paint it snot green directly and then use a dark ink on their skin. That works too.

·
340 Posts
Hey Guys, I have decided to redo my orks after extreme displeasure over their apperance, and I can't decide between these two. Either, light and cartoony-esque classic look,

Warhammer 40,000

or realistic, dark look

Games Workshop Imagery

I can't choose, and I love both looks! What should I do?

Just curious...what did your Orks look like before? Were they really that bad or did you just not like the look of them?

I'm curious to see some pics if you don't mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious...what did your Orks look like before? Were they really that bad or did you just not like the look of them?

I'm curious to see some pics if you don't mind.
I just didnt like them, and my digital camera is crap and the only good one is with my sister at college, so don't expect pics any time soon. Sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the light green 'cartoony' paint scheme, mainly because it goes better with dark colors.

Basically, I'd suggest the color that's going to stand out more against their armor and weapons. If you were planning to paint their armor a bright color, then I'd go dark and realistic for their skin.

Personally, I like dark armor, so bright green skin looks better. I started with a base coat of black paint, then I painted on catachan green, and on top of that I dry brushed snot green on. It came out pretty well overall.

You can also paint it snot green directly and then use a dark ink on their skin. That works too.
I am definatly doing the armor dark, so it makes sense to have the skin light so it compliments the armor. Also, what is your paint scheme? Mine used to be snot green and drybrushed goblin green. I found it made them look too......chalky (I think thats the right word).

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Hmm...

Painting dark green directly is probably a bad idea. I'd paint it light green, then if you want them to be darker, try a light coat of black ink over them, after the green paint has dried. It's great for darkening the color slightly, and adding some shadowing to their skin.

If they look chalky, I'd definitely try some ink, or dry brushing a slightly darker green on top of them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Painting dark green directly is probably a bad idea. I'd paint it light green, then if you want them to be darker, try a light coat of black ink over them, after the green paint has dried. It's great for darkening the color slightly, and adding some shadowing to their skin.

If they look chalky, I'd definitely try some ink, or dry brushing a slightly darker green on top of them.
Black wash? Wouldn't Thraka green be a better? I forgot to add that I do a heavy coat of Thraka Green over the snot green before the drybrushing. Do you use a light green as a basecoat? I thought you would use a dark green, then a light green over top?

and btw, maybe the reason my orks were so bad was that I had no idea how to highlight.... ah well, if you have any tutorials that could help me with painting my orks, that would be great!

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Possibly

Black wash? Wouldn't Thraka green be a better? I forgot to add that I do a heavy coat of Thraka Green over the snot green before the drybrushing. Do you use a light green as a basecoat? I thought you would use a dark green, then a light green over top?
Here's what I do:

1. Prime the entire model chaos black

2. Paint the skin Catachan Green

3. Paint a thin layer (just a little bit more paint than dry brushing) of snot green or goblin green on top of that

4. If necessary, use a little blackwash to give the model more detail. This step might not be necessary, depending on how the previous step went.

The result is a slightly bright 'alienish' green that I like. ^_^

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's what I do:

1. Prime the entire model chaos black

2. Paint the skin Catachan Green

3. Paint a thin layer (just a little bit more paint than dry brushing) of snot green or goblin green on top of that

4. If necessary, use a little blackwash to give the model more detail. This step might not be necessary, depending on how the previous step went.

The result is a slightly bright 'alienish' green that I like. ^_^
Neat, got any pictures?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ideas so far

I have mostly been experimenting at the moment with some unfinished orks just to get ideas, and I mostly want the mob to appear somewhat cobbled together, of no specific clan. Essentially orks who wandered around and decided that they could Crump more humies if there are more of them. This includes meaning they have different coloured pants and etc.

·
205 Posts
I have mostly been experimenting at the moment with some unfinished orks just to get ideas...
I was just going to suggest this. I'm painting my first miniature at the moment (Yeah!) and I was a little torn as well. I decided to follow some GW tutorial's on "traditional" ways to paint my orks as well as explore other skin tones too. Incidentally, I've enjoyed painting my experimental "realistic" ork so much I'm going to finish him before I even get past base coating on the cartoony one!

Ultimately it comes down to personal taste, so I didn't vote in your poll. I'd just paint up the main variations you have floating around in your head, let them set a few days so you can "take it all in", and then make the decision!

I plan on posting about this exact debate in my Ork project thread as soon as I can get some finished miniatures! I'll keep you posted on my personal findings there! :soldier:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recommend going the lighter skin style. I started my AoBR goff orks painting with a layered Knarloc Green/Black Wash/Goblin Green/goblin Green+Bleached bone Highlight, but the dark style made the models seem pretty undramatic. I simplified the process to Knarlok Green/Goblin Green/Scorpion Green, and the models really look better on the tabletop. The process is faster and easier without the mixing of highlights as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd lean towards the cartoony side of things. 40K Orks are very two dimensional after all. Just look at Gork and Mork. One is brutal and kunnin' the other is kunnin' and brutal.

I've seen some extreamly well executed real or hyper real orks but some how they don't feel right to me.

Take a look at this guys work -

CoolMiniOrNot - Sukigod's Gallery, Page 1

to me he hits the balance about right.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I lean toward the cartoony side as well. For me, Orkz are supposed to be a fun army; if I wanted to have a dark and sinister army, I may play Chaos instead.

The owner of my local sop loves his Orkz to be rather dark and rusty. He doesn't go beyond olive green highlights and uses lots of ink, especially Badab Black. Here are his Flashgitz and his Doc:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd lean towards the cartoony side of things. 40K Orks are very two dimensional after all. Just look at Gork and Mork. One is brutal and kunnin' the other is kunnin' and brutal.

I've seen some extreamly well executed real or hyper real orks but some how they don't feel right to me.

Take a look at this guys work -

CoolMiniOrNot - Sukigod's Gallery, Page 1

to me he hits the balance about right.
Very good work he's done! He's now making my mind break trying to pick between red and black armor!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Those look great! They look like they just rose out of a junkyard! If I ever finish my current army, I will definatly make another ork army that looks like that! ITS CONVERSION TIME!!! WHOO WHOOOOOOOO!

·
205 Posts
I think it's also worth mentioning that dark and realistic don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. It's not dark colors that make something feel "realistic" it's de-saturated colors. An ork's skin can still be lighter in shade without it being cartoony and saturated. I think the above orks are a decent example of this and, although I can't see them close-up, I think they probably look similar to my first test ork I'm currently painting.

The other difference in "realistic" is less contrast or more subtle shifts in contrast and color. This means that the shift of saturation and color is less extreme. I believe my goal is to make the miniature "read" well from about a foot away and to do this is to exaggerate the contrast by leaving black around the bleach bone finger nails, for example. So in a sense I believe you can have a lighter de-saturated skin tone but you still need contrast to make details "pop". Peronally I feel this is what the above miniatures are missing, which causes the details and elements to kind of blur together when you look at it from afar.

So I guess I lean towards de-saturated skin tones.

·
Registered
37 Posts

and btw, maybe the reason my orks were so bad was that I had no idea how to highlight.... ah well, if you have any tutorials that could help me with painting my orks, that would be great!
I use black washes myself and really enjoy the way it makes the boyz look, which is dirty.

Da boyz aint a clean sort, eh?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts