Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I for one have become extremly efficient at picking up majorly sweet deals, I am in sense a perfect lurker for ebay bid negotiations or the LO TRADER ZONE. My last prey and negotation I scored almost one battle platoon of IG, more like a company, but the refurbishment is going to be a pain, not looking forward to it but actually relishing the fact that "somebody's" junk wound up right in my lap. I checked with army status before I signed my name in blood on it and it looks like its really gonna need alot of work. So I'm just wondering from all you veteran restoration artists out there can you help me come up with a plan of attack for this list?

Commissar Yarrick
Colonel Schaeffer
Colonel Straken
7 Officers
Standard Bearer
3 Veteran Sergeant
14 Sergeant
5 Lascannon Team (1 on large base)
7 Missile Launcher Team (2 on large base)
6 Autocannon Team (2 on large base)
10 Heavy Bolter Team (4 on large base)
2 Demo Charge
3 Grenade Launcher
5 Meltagun
2 Plasma Gun
9 Snipers
8 Flamers
4 Comm Links
80 Lasguns
3 Catachan Pattern Sentinels with improvised Extra Armor
3 Mars Pattern Sentinels with Armored Crew Compartment
Basilisk
Chimera with turret and hull heavy bolter
Hellhound
Demolisher
Battle Tank
2 Daemonhost
4 Sanctioned Psyker
3 Death Cult Assassins
4 Priests
4 Familiars
Eversor Assassin
Random scroll-bearing Sage

That's all told, 197 infantry, 6 walkers, 5 tanks, 8 advisors, and 11 Inquisitorial allies

(HONESTLY I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO START)
Once I start gaining ground on progress, you guys will see journal entries should be a fun project.
-BLADE

·
Bork! Bork! Bork!
416 Posts
While Pickle does have the right idea and I was going to say the same thing I might mention that its good to have a solid painting scheme already down, strip a Guardsmen, Sentinal and random tank and mess around with them 'till you've found a nice scheme.

Then like Pickle said paint them up in bathes of 500 points, and keeping in mind that you working with IG, maybe 250 points even though you will still be painting more then any other armies 500 points with that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Pancakes and Pickle have the right idea. I think the hardest part of your journey will be painting the hordes of identical infantry. If that is the case, i would suggest setting yourself 'rewards' such as for every two squads you paint, you get to paint a tank. This way it brakes up the monotony of painting hundreds of guardsmen, and also adds some incentive to do so.

Hope this helped!

~Legionnaire

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
methinks pancakes mayhaps plagurized...heh heh jk prolly posted at the same time.

I already own a 500pt IG army so I know what I'm going to roll with for paint schematics

Its the stripping and cleaning that I'm wondering about. I've decided to go about it by
mass production, might buy a few buckets and a couple gal of pinesol, or whatever is
recommended for plastic mini's. I do say the task ahead is daunting.

But when I normally work with guard, I like high profile class A minis that means I'll sit
down and take a week at a time for a squad...so guestimating, thats leaving 8 weeks worth
of solid painting 80 infantry, split that up and do the characters individually..

I guess I need more help with visualizing all this and putting the game plan together.
-Warmest Regards;
BLADE.

·
Registered
422 Posts
just a note about brake fluid. it works better in my opinion then simple green on plastics, but BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT!! It's toxic and one LO member mentioned it's Carcinogenic!!

That means get a mask and gloves, work in a well ventilated area, and if you're going to use a dremel or what have you to strip the minis, be very careful.

Also, i find it helps to go from brake fluid to water to clean off most of the chemicals off.

Oh, and don't use Brake fluid on resin (e.g. forgeworld) it'll soften up the resin if you leave it in too long (my poor hive tyrant found that one out the hard way) the resin will eventually reharden if left alone for long enough, but soft resin = fragile resin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually found that the best thing to strip paint was "easy off oven cleaner". This stuff is a ultra strong cleaning solution. But at the same time it doesn't eat through plastics... I once got 32 horribly painted gaunts off ebay and this stuff worked wonders for me.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now that I have recomendations, I think I'll try a smorgasbord of cleaning agents, but the real thing I'm worried about is the fact that the mini's will get scratched up. I want a professional clean job but I'm afraid
to use wire brushes on em methinks the plastic will get scratched up?

Recommendations for a cleaning tool?

·
2,244 Posts
I am the same as pickle, an old stiff bristled toothbrush and maybe cut it down quite low to make the bristles even stiffer and then a toothpick or something fancier if you have it.

THis does a reasonable job but is time consuming, I don't think that you are going to avoid that though. Could try stripping scrubbing then stripper again then scrub again, It's the toothpick part that eats the time up.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Methinks I'll maybe need 20 toothbrushes for the load i'm getting? I also noticed brushes vary in density
and softness mehbe some extra hard ones, and a soft wire one for preliminary scrubbing.

HMMM....... *INSANE MAD LOOK*

"Nixon with charisma? My god I could rule the universe!"
-Futurama - a head in the polls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.