Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am completely new to the world of 40k. I have bought the rule book and read it thru once and also the DE codex. I have one question that may seem real stupid to all you experienced players. It is in regards to the squad in a raider. I have seen in a previous forum that the squad can shoot independently from the raider. My question is in the deployment of the squad. If I move my raider up and then get the squad out. Is the raider then a separate vehicle that can operate independently from the squad? If they are separate then my thinking is the squad can disembark the raider and operate independently and then the raider can be used to shoot or moved in front of an oncoming squad and block them. IS this at all correct or am I completely screwed up.

All of the rules are very new and confusing to me, since I do not have an army to play with yet. I am working on my first troop models now and hope to be on the field of play this summer. Thanks in advance for any help to the newbie!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
At no point do the squad have to stay with the raider or do what the raider does. They operate completely independently from it apart from when embarked in the vehicle, in which case they move "in" it but are still free to shoot at different targets if they so desire.

Good luck with your new army! I hope you find DE as fun and as challenging to play with as I did when I first started 40k, the learning curve is pretty steep, but once you get good with DE you'll find moving to other armies so much easier to play with and start doing SO much better.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
The key concept here is that the transport is always treated as it's own unit, even if it is dedicated to a squad of guys (which just means it doesn't take up a slot on the Force Organization Chart).

Welcome to the DE and 40K! I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. ;)
This game, and DE in particular, can be a cruel mistress. Very rewarding though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the rules clarification and the input. I am not sure if I know what I am getting into. I have been reading a lot online about 40k, and have seen many posts about how difficult DE can be. I have considering starting with another army first, but the DE just keep calling me back.

So I am going to give it a whirl. I am sure I will be asking for much more advice as I move forward. I have just received my first warrior models and will start to play around with a paint scheme this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the rules clarification and the input. I am not sure if I know what I am getting into. I have been reading a lot online about 40k, and have seen many posts about how difficult DE can be. I have considering starting with another army first, but the DE just keep calling me back.

So I am going to give it a whirl. I am sure I will be asking for much more advice as I move forward. I have just received my first warrior models and will start to play around with a paint scheme this weekend.

I hope this doesn't constitute as spam but you should check out my blog as i'm currently writing articles on advice for beginners and general tactics and armylist help. I know when I started Dark Eldar it was tough to trawl through 100+ page threads on tactics with everyone disagreeing on trivial things so i'm intending the articles to be a way for new people to be able to get the basics quickly.

In any case definitely stick with it though as Dark Eldar are a really enjoyable army to play.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Post some pics when you've decided on your colour scheme. :)

As difficult as the DEldar can be, don't be disappointed if you start out losing big. Remember to have fun and enjoy whichever aspects of the hobby interest you. Otherwise, there are other things to spend your time and money on. Heh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope this doesn't constitute as spam but you should check out my blog as i'm currently writing articles on advice for beginners and general tactics and armylist help. I know when I started Dark Eldar it was tough to trawl through 100+ page threads on tactics with everyone disagreeing on trivial things so i'm intending the articles to be a way for new people to be able to get the basics quickly.

In any case definitely stick with it though as Dark Eldar are a really enjoyable army to play.

Thanks for the link to the blog. I have read what you have posted and added it to my favorites. Great job on what you have done so far. I will be back often to learn the ways of the dark side.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Hello, I am completely new to the world of 40k. I have bought the rule book and read it thru once and also the DE codex. I have one question that may seem real stupid to all you experienced players. It is in regards to the squad in a raider. I have seen in a previous forum that the squad can shoot independently from the raider. My question is in the deployment of the squad. If I move my raider up and then get the squad out. Is the raider then a separate vehicle that can operate independently from the squad? If they are separate then my thinking is the squad can disembark the raider and operate independently and then the raider can be used to shoot or moved in front of an oncoming squad and block them. IS this at all correct or am I completely screwed up.

All of the rules are very new and confusing to me, since I do not have an army to play with yet. I am working on my first troop models now and hope to be on the field of play this summer. Thanks in advance for any help to the newbie!
You really seem to be asking ‘how’ a Raider works in the game and since you are new to this I will try to take it from the beginning.
• The Raider is a transport, it is simply a delivery system for what is embarked and no better example can be found by using it for an Incubi infested retinue. Incubi have no fleet of foot and so really need that taxi to get them to the battle.
• The Raider is a gun platform, both with its own cheap Lance or Disintegrator weapon that’s very capable of taking out Armour and its embarked passengers carrying weapons like Splinter Cannons, Blasters, Splinter rifles etc.
• The Raider enables squads to Deepstrike with the Screaming Jets vehicle upgrade, although I consider this option to be rather weak it is possible.
• The Raider is mobile terrain, its cheap and disposable, and with a ‘one time use’ philosophy you can move it up into danger, fire and hope that it gets wrecked as wrecks count as terrain to hide behind – you can also use the mobile terrain tactic to block narrow defiles or valleys and canyons between buildings. Park your ‘mobile terrain’ where it best suits your army – usually sideways and between you and the enemy or park it right in the midst of the enemy camp and hope for an ’Explodes’ result, this will hurt the enemy more than you and can be absolutely hilarious when pulled off!
• The Raider allows multiple targeting by being a separate unit from what is on board – you can split fire during the turn.
• The Raider can ‘Tank Shock’ but it may not Ram and this means that even though it may have no weapons left it may still be part of the battle.
• The Raider can deny objectives; this is especially powerful during the dying turns of the game.
• The Raider can claim objectives if there are troops on board.
• The Raider can attack with the Scything Blades option; this is a movement-based attack.

I am sure that there is much more that a Raider can do but please consider these above possibilities for our humble paper-thin armoured transport.

Cheers Wicky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts