Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after playing a grand tournment heat i have been pondering what army in the right hands is realy the toughest, (notice i didnt say best, but i have not posted this thread hoping to start an argiment about cheese armys.

IMO there are just a few candidates for this, Eldar cheese 3 raith lord, seer counsel coming out of every orrofice etc..., space marines stand back and shoot everything with great weapons,loads of tanks including dreadnaughts and 5 man tactical squads, or posibly necrons with tooled up lord and monolith to re role failed get back ups when they pass back through them.

i think that the necron army may be the hardest to get rid of but possibly not the best.

what do you guys or girls think?

·
Registered
92 Posts
infantry- based iG. you come with lascannons, he puts down guardsman.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Thousand sons. Fearless marines with two wounds each.

Necrons get my second vote, but anyone who thinks adding three monoliths to any reasonably sized list makes them tougher is a moron--they're nuts when they have hordes of guys on the table. Monoliths just make them easier to phase out--not worth it at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Simply put Tyrinids you get one maybe 2 turns of shooting and then bang assault.NOOOO
so many bugs no spay awwww.Yes i admit necrons are scary but you pop the troops or get into close combat and thats the end of them.Eldar my god Ulthwe is scary they come out no matter what and are just beastes when they get out.
i personally fear Tyranids the most i know all say kill synapse theyle die or flamers nooo doesent work they just keep coming.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For me 'crons first (they are tough...damn 'well be back' rolls :( ) . The AC (armoured company) are equal with the necrons, especially when your army is balance and not tailored to go against 10 tanks :sleep:

2nd would be a all infiltrating all fast nid army - a broodlord infiltraing with retinue, all genestealers having the scouting/scuttlers ability. expensive army, but can get into cc the first turn when the nid player goes first, with lucky fleet or claw rolls

3rd would be a saim hain army...although fragile, they are bloody hard to hit them in shooting and in cc.

Note: these are not cheesy (in fact i dont call anything cheesy other than 3 wraithlords in a 750-1000 pt list) and have major weaknesses, but they are certainly tough to beat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Repenting Legion said:
Simply put Tyrinids you get one maybe 2 turns of shooting and then bang assault.NOOOO
so many bugs no spay awwww.Yes i admit necrons are scary but you pop the troops or get into close combat and thats the end of them.Eldar my god Ulthwe is scary they come out no matter what and are just beastes when they get out.
i personally fear Tyranids the most i know all say kill synapse theyle die or flamers nooo doesent work they just keep coming.

i never say to do these things its not the way to beat them because it requires close quarters with the flamers and the main thing to worry about is steeler's and they hve brood telepathy.

for opinion on how to beat them see my first post in "SM v's nids- need advice"

i personaly dont fear nids at all but it deepends on the army you have.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think you all are underestimating necrons after hearing the tactics to just phase them out. Normally missile launchers will ignore wbb but a lord with resecction orb can bring them back further. Going through monoliths would allow them to roll wbb 5 times!

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
The only time I've played against Eldar was in a quick 400 pt match played at my friend's GW store in Chicago that introduced me to the game. I played against an experienced player, all jetbikes, and I got my black templar butt handed back to me right quick. Not that I was surprised, that should've happened not matter what we were playing. Otherwise, I've no real idea what to expect from Eldar, though it seems like many people fear them.

The army I lose to the most -- like, almost every time -- is mech space marines just like the intial post layed it out: tanks and more tanks, dreadnoughts and more dreadnoughts, small tactical squads with special weapons. Way too many weapons and armor to deal with. HATE THEM!!

Even a weapons- and tanks-heavy imperial guard isn't as tough as that. At least against them I win about 50% of the time.

·
Dethskullz Warboss
1,245 Posts
The toughest army in 40k has to be space marines or chaos they have the best stats for a basic troop and have the eqiuptment to do it as well. I play a game with my nids vs a blood angels army and the amout of firepower he shot at me a unbelieveable my gaunts shot got shot to pieces and my monsters were killed in combat with a mass of powerfist attacks.

they have a great advataged with the new rules of the assault cannons now he had 3 of them , 3 heavybolters, 1 missle lauchers and 2 lascannons and a ton of bolters laying in to me everything and assault marines and death company flying in to combat.

·
Registered
943 Posts
First Place- Necrons, they are nasty. They have as good a stat line as marines, can get back up and even can reroll. 3 Monoliths are nasty, and immortals and destroyers rule. However, contrary to popular opinion, C-tan decrease your survivability, I have won every game against crins with ctan, I have tied half and won half without facing a ctan.

Second place- ORKSES. They have so many things to protect them and their cc units get 3 heavy weapons, its easy to take out a pie plate vehicle, I have never lost more than 3/4 of my force

Third Place- AC, that is pretty much self explanatory.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hmmmm

Librarian Augustine said:
I think you all are underestimating necrons after hearing the tactics to just phase them out. Normally missile launchers will ignore wbb but a lord with resecction orb can bring them back further. Going through monoliths would allow them to roll wbb 5 times!
UHHHH....no chain teleporting.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
AC by far!

In a tournies where you are taking all comers, you will never have enough heavy weapons to deal with 10 count them 10 tanks. I've seen it at a RT last month. Even if you get first turn 6 pie plates is certain death and that is only half of the guys shooting.

Ulthweeners are also tough buttttttttt most units can be brought down by massed bolter fire...besides just like a lith I ignore it and concentrate on other things.

·
Registered
139 Posts
#1 on the list would have to be Tau (and Necrons) - Tau, if your shooty then you'll have to sit back and shoot with medim - range weapons so that means you have to be in their line of fire for them to be able to be in YOUR line of fire, so evidently you'll get shot to pieces. If your close combat, well, by the time your forces get close enough half of them will be dead and the remaining half will have to face battlesuits. Battlesuits. When you get close enough they use their extra Assault movement as retreat movement to shoot you, they're so friggin' annoying and Necrons, well everything has already been explained.

#2 Daemonhunters - The best termies and stats for a basic troop in the game with their armour save, and against Daemons, there is no point in even trying.

#3 Space Marines/ Chaos - Also the best stats for a basic troop in a game and the weapons to go with it, and their 3+ armour save is quite annoying also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dark eldar...You dont get to play them much so many people dont know how to play them. From what i remember they own. yet last time i played them i owned them with nids. If they are used properly however they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i think he means a Holostone falcon, but that isn't cheese, it costs 200 points. i think he is just whining about somethhing that his lascannons can't kill instantly.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
The Falcon he's talking about has Holofield + Spirit Stones.

When moving over 6" only glancing hits are possible. The holofield and Spirit Stones together make it almost really tough to destroy.

~Ben

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.