Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a bunch of people whining about WE over at Warseer about their Tourney list. Just curious, what the heck is used in a Tourney list? Cuz' I just bashed them for their whining as I fail to see the "power" of WEs...

·
Registered
26 Posts
You fail to see the power off wood elves... :party:

they only have to most versatile, best manoeuvering armie there is.
They have some off the hardest hitting units in the game.

Most people at my club simply refuse to play me when I take along a treeman or a strong lord, because these units are (around here @ least) considered to be some off the most overpowered units in the book.

I think the only units that dont exactly dish it out in the entire armie are mages on a unicorn, scouts and warhawk riders (and thats because I am not such a good player probaply)

Were are you from? I'd love to show you the power of the asrai on tabletop.;Y

·
Registered
191 Posts
You haven't yet met the fury of the asrai huh. The WE are very good when you figered out how to play with them. They are, like P-ID WYSiWYG already said, very manoeuvleble. And they can shoot even the most heavy armoured cavalry and leave nothing but dead people over. For instance in my last game(2250pts) I took a WE highborn with Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins and Glamourwave. I played against HE...you should have seen the look on his face when I shot 4 out of the 5 Dragon prices he had:D. I was a little bid blessed ofcourse by the dice gods, but it was just too make something clear. The WE are very powerfull, though they have some weak points, and when the enemy sees them, the WE will have a tough time to win the game. But that mostly happens when the're almost nothing left of his army.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
A list is only as good as the general. If Wood Elves were that powerful they would win every GT and tourney under the sun. This has not happened.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
It's like a car. Your driving skills are as good as the weakest aspect. If you car's bung, you can only be so good. If your drivings hopeless, well yeah.

The WEs are generally good to use on the tabletop, but a general who doesn't know how everything works will struggle.

-AFG

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Backdraft, what most WE players consider a power list for tourneys is the two treemen list. Two Treemen can be incredibly tough to deal with. Toss in a Battle Standard Bearer to let them reroll stubborn, and they are even tougher. Really cheese it out and give your BSB Asyendi's Bane (since he's lost his mundane bow) and then the HoDA. The magical bow loses its own magical properties when used with the HoDA, but it does allow you take the HoDA. Then you don't need to use another noble slot just to get the HoDA arrow in.

But that's generally it. It's considered tantamount to an Empire player taking a War Altar and a Steam Tank.

·
609 Posts
But seriously, what kinda list? Dryad heavy? Specific hero builds?
Normally when people are complaining like it is against a list that has 2 Treemen with a BSB. Another thing is a list of almost all dryads.

I like my WE, but they aren't unstoppable. They have Pros but their Cons can be taken advantage of just as easily. I tend to agree with Skarsgard here "A list is only as good as the general. If Wood Elves were that powerful they would win every GT and tourney under the sun." Also, IMO there is no WE character that should be considered to be too powerful etc. Even with AoN my General will get smacked up a darn good bit. Treemen are powerful but you have to pay a ton for them and there are comparable units is many/most other armies. :C

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wood elves neede something that could take a charge from nearly anything and survive. They gave us a treemen. The armie needs that. It is howwever, not the only way to win with wood elves.
I won my last tournament with a wood elve list without treeman. And I faced dwarfs and empire.
Its all about being the better general.
And having faith in your armie.
Thats just my thought

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I've had a lot of success with this list.

Another I use to take with a lot of success was this.
Highborn, alter, bow of loren, arcane bodkins, amber pendant, light armor, shield, great weapon. (5 shooting attacks that ignore armor, opponents always go last against great weapon, just don't let him get shot at)
Noble, alter, HoDA, HotH, lt armor, shield (works in tandem with the highborn, they charge together, everything, they practically hold hands).
These two guys kick ass. Their greatest moment was beating and breaking a unit of 30 plague monks. 10 str 6 attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at. I rarely throw them into ranked units alone, despite that moment of glory. More often they tackle smaller challenges, but chariots and monsters are generally no problem for them. Usually there's nothing left to swing back that round of combat, and if they see a second round of combat, most of the foes in base to base contact will go last.

A branchwraith, lvl 1, cluster of radiants, annoyance of netlings, general
Spellsinger, lvl 1, two scrolls.

30 glade guard

8 dryads x 2

3 warhawks (or 5 glade riders)

7 wardancers x 2, champ, mus

2 treemen

Not a lot of models, but very effective.6 combat units. 4 shooting units. Two crossover units with the alters. Warhawks march block, assassinate enemy characters if they can, or kill war machine crews.

Exchange a hero for a BSB and put him in wardancers that stay near the treemen, and it's really ugly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
David, thats some dirty tactics, giving the BSB a magic bow. I understand the hail of doom arrows, but a magic bow is pure filth.

Good thing I look up to you, and your awesome advice.

With regards to the topic here. I play the only WE army in GW in cardiff, and I can go toe to toe with almost any army and pull a draw out of it garunteed.

I have yet to conquer Skaven and Dwarfs.

Maybe I will get lucky when the Dwarfs turn up to a game drunk :{P :drinking:

And Skaven will hopefully miscast and kill themselves.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
David, thats some dirty tactics, giving the BSB a magic bow. I understand the hail of doom arrows, but a magic bow is pure filth.

Good thing I look up to you, and your awesome advice.

With regards to the topic here. I play the only WE army in GW in cardiff, and I can go toe to toe with almost any army and pull a draw out of it garunteed.

I have yet to conquer Skaven and Dwarfs.

Maybe I will get lucky when the Dwarfs turn up to a game drunk :{P :drinking:

And Skaven will hopefully miscast and kill themselves.
Dwarfs and Skaven are tough matchups. The magical shooting alone really can hurt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a fun game one time, when I was partnered with a Skaven player. We did a random paring, two headed giant tournament.

We were playing a High Elf and Dogs of War army and we destroyed them. Gotta say Skaven and Wood Elves could be good allies if we didn't hate each other so much.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
You could always call your leader a renegade one, or use them as Dark Wood Elves or something. Cheesy, I know, but it would work.

As for why they work well together, I'd say it's to do with the fact that the rats can keep up, so the Woodies don't leave them behind.

Against Dwarfs, try to bait them out and multi-charge them. I have a bit of experience with them before I sold them due to gathering too much dust and winning too easily, but I can't say I ever considered getting an Anvil- my opponents were quite lucky in that department I imagine.

-AFG

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
I've had a lot of success with this list.

Another I use to take with a lot of success was this.
Highborn, alter, bow of loren, arcane bodkins, amber pendant, light armor, shield, great weapon. (5 shooting attacks that ignore armor, opponents always go last against great weapon, just don't let him get shot at)
Noble, alter, HoDA, HotH, lt armor, shield (works in tandem with the highborn, they charge together, everything, they practically hold hands).
These two guys kick ass. Their greatest moment was beating and breaking a unit of 30 plague monks. 10 str 6 attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at. I rarely throw them into ranked units alone, despite that moment of glory. More often they tackle smaller challenges, but chariots and monsters are generally no problem for them. Usually there's nothing left to swing back that round of combat, and if they see a second round of combat, most of the foes in base to base contact will go last.

A branchwraith, lvl 1, cluster of radiants, annoyance of netlings, general
Spellsinger, lvl 1, two scrolls.

30 glade guard

8 dryads x 2

3 warhawks (or 5 glade riders)

7 wardancers x 2, champ, mus

2 treemen

Not a lot of models, but very effective.6 combat units. 4 shooting units. Two crossover units with the alters. Warhawks march block, assassinate enemy characters if they can, or kill war machine crews.

Exchange a hero for a BSB and put him in wardancers that stay near the treemen, and it's really ugly.
That list makes me cringe. I doubt I'll play tournements soon, but I'll keep your list in mind. Don't you just feel dirty for that. What would this list have to fear? Numbers?

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
They fear warpstone and magic war machines most. :0
I've never faced either of those things. Warpstone has something to do with skaven doesn't it? What armies have magic war machines? Is the screaming skull catapult one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.