·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Yep, more scything talons and more gaunt body's for conversions:p

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its sadning really cause ussually they say that the battleforce is made as a good amount to go ahead and play right away,but sadly only the warriors can do a big impact on tanks. I mean every other battleforce has a tank or aleast a larger unit in it to help out on the big battles. I think its slightly tricking us out of our monies. But o well :dance: i like the game 2 much to care :dance::soldier:
----------
I just calculated it:dance: and we are only saving about 15 to 20 bucks on this battle force:\.
"sigh" That's not really great.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
It costs more, NOOOO! I may have a poke to see if my GW has any Tyranid Battleforces left that are done in the old style, I don't need more Gaunts and Hormagaunts.

Though I suppose for starting out it is better for the noobs.
Hehe, thought about that to. But gotta find a new house before I go spend more money on a nice old school battle force:(

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I do love the prevailing logic that a lot of people have for this force-

"The battleforce is crap because the carnifex is good which they removed, leaving only crap gaunts" which completely glosses over the fact that maybe, just maybe gaunts won't be so bad in the new codex.

Personally I think this battleforce is a great starting point, 2 of those plus some other beasties (be it carnifexes or ravenors or whatever) and you'll have a very solid 1kish force.

·
815 Posts
It's decent buy for anyone just starting out. However I don't see people with a full or partial tyranid army ever picking this up. It isn't as good of a deal as the old battleforce box. If you're able to find one of those, count yourself lucky, they've gone the way of the dodo.

·
663 Posts
The reason that the old set up for the Battle Force Box that had the Carnifex is better is not because the Carnifex is awesome. It is because with out it the Box lacks any real tank killing at all. Warriors are not anti-tank. Swapping out the Genestealers for more guants would have been an exeptable alternitive as losing Genestealers does not take from haveing a Balanced starting group of models for New Players.

If they took the Warriors out for more guants it would also make the Box a crappy collection of models then. With out synaps for your 32+ guants, you have a group of modles that can not even be used as an army.

Also, the guats are rummored to have a point reduction. The last Battle Force Box with the Carnifex came to about 550pts if you do not over indulge in upgrades. With out the Carnifex in the Box I think that it comes to about 450pts using what I've heard about the Codex. Regular guants are rumored to be about 2 points less and the Hormoguants are said to be 4 points less. about a hundred points less for $15.

However, i do think that people should use more Guants.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
However, i do think that people should use more Guants.
I strongly disagree. I'm a kind of person who likes freedom, don't make more rules then you have to. Sometimes yes you can say: "this and that works better", but I don't think you can say people should. For an example In the years I've played nids I've played gaunt 2 or 3 times, and EVERYTIME I got annoyed by them. I'm not saying they're bad but I just hate playing them. I think people should make up their own mind on what they want to use, sometimes stuff works better and you could say: "this will make you win more" or "if you want to win use these". Even those lines aren't always correct, maybe in a specific players experience. But no person is the same and should thing that's the way to look at people.

The change in Battleforce is a shame in my eyes, I would've bought about 2 more of the old one, because I want some more fex's, warriors and scything talons. But they changed it, hell to bad but at least I can buy scything talons without getting fleshborers and other guns with them if I REALLY wanted to.... (Much rather just buy some second hand army and strip it down...)

Edit:

Sorry, I just got annoyed with the hundredth person saying that people should use more gaunts....

·
663 Posts
I think that you miss interpreted what i meant by "Use more Guants". I'm not saying that guants should be in every list, just that they should be in most. Its like haveing a Ork List make of only Gretchen and tanks to me. The concept of a carpet of scuttleing death is what i view the Tyranids as. When I play another tyranid player that has less models then a Space Marine army I get confused. My lists usually have alittle of everything in them. More guants in that Box is a bad thing since they took out the Carnifex.

In closing, I just feel that players that don't use Guants and only go 30pts Genestealers and 8 MC are not playing with the spirit of a Tyranid List.

PS: I would never tell a player that they "Need" to play a certen way. Thats ingnorent and rude.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I think that you miss interpreted what i meant by "Use more Guants". I'm not saying that guants should be in every list, just that they should be in most. Its like haveing a Ork List make of only Gretchen and tanks to me. The concept of a carpet of scuttleing death is what i view the Tyranids as. When I play another tyranid player that has less models then a Space Marine army I get confused. My lists usually have alittle of everything in them. More guants in that Box is a bad thing since they took out the Carnifex.

In closing, I just feel that players that don't use Guants and only go 30pts Genestealers and 8 MC are not playing with the spirit of a Tyranid List.

PS: I would never tell a player that they "Need" to play a certen way. Thats ingnorent and rude.
Hehe, I agree people who use 30 point stealers and 8 mc are lame. But that's not the only way to play them next to the carpet army's. They're a lot of ways to play them, but yes I often have less models then an average marine army. But IMHO I'm stil playing with the spirit of the Tyranids only in a different fashion then the carpet army (I don't play 8 mc's by far, to boring to play with).

Then we're on the same line!:D

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I agree with this, too many tyranid players ignore gaunts (with good reason or not) and claim that the gaunt horde isn't how the force should be played despite 99% of nid fluff being "more gaunts damnit!".

You should be able to build non gaunt lists but you shouldn't expect the army to work as well (or be as well rounded as) a list with a large core of gaunts (no matter the genus).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Usually when armies just come out they are bought by all players because they all want to try the new junk out. however i think we wont see quite as many people buy a new tyranid army this time :/

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I agree with this, too many tyranid players ignore gaunts (with good reason or not) and claim that the gaunt horde isn't how the force should be played despite 99% of nid fluff being "more gaunts damnit!".

You should be able to build non gaunt lists but you shouldn't expect the army to work as well (or be as well rounded as) a list with a large core of gaunts (no matter the genus).
Then FA gaunt will do fine:p
I find that an army should be played as the player finds playable. And with a bit of luck that'll stay, I have to be honest and say the nidzilla is darn as lame as well as boring (IMHO). but a nice little hybrid will do just fine:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
What i found so discouraging about the Battleforce is that it only gives you troop selection (unless you use "alpha' warriors). Its a kick in the butt from GW and there are no new Tyranid kits in it.

I think its a sneaky way for GW to make more money off the new tyranid players because they don't provide them with any Heavy support or fast attack (one of those kits is usually in a battleforce).

The way the codex rumors are going, it sounds like we could have complete "nidzilla" army lists consisting of hive tyrants, trygons, broods of carnifixes and warriors as troops taking out the need for anything on a small base (except for gargoyles which are cool and is almost every nid player's dream).

In conclusion the swarm army build might be up against a nidzilla army build that we have never seen before, so GW might be trying influence players to try and play Nid swarm by just having troops in there battleforce

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I find Gaunts are very handy and I don't use enough of them. I hope they are still useful in the new rules, from what I can tell more or less the same but cheaper. Though with so many new models using Gaunts will be harder as we'll all be playing with the new non-synapse creature bugs which will make controlling Gaunts hard.

Howver Tyranids need not always be a mob of scuttling death, it is reasonable to use big bugs and have a kind of Jurrasic park meets the Alien day of fun as you eat the prey, Marines etc.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Howver Tyranids need not always be a mob of scuttling death, it is reasonable to use big bugs and have a kind of Jurrasic park meets the Alien day of fun as you eat the prey, Marines etc.
Haha!
And of course if I'm not mistaken later on them tides turn into the bigger monsters.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.