Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a CS and Quake 3 fan I'm well aware of the world of Proffesional Gaming. Some people can actually make a good salery playing these games if they get corporate sponsers and what not but seeing this is the internet most people should already know what I'm talking about, if not I'll give you some urls.

We around here for about 3-4 months now playing warhammer has gotten pritty competative, bitter rivals have been made, money has been bet (players and spectators) and medium sized tournys have been started drawing atleast as many spectators as players.
This is due in no small part to a recent booster-shot of players in the last 3 months as well both new people and returning people, even my girlfreind is starting an army (mainly for painting though).

I have taken it apon myself rather rashly to teach 3 new players to play and I need some advice on it, what win/lose/draw ratio should these people be achiving before I say they are ready because all of them told me they want to compete in the tournys. Two of these people each have 4hr a week with me at a fee of $20 a session for the next 3 weeks with the 3rd person being my g/f so she doesnt have to pay or have a time limit.

Any advice on how do gadge progress? Are written quizes on army comp and rules corny? Also is though love or coaching a better style at first, I mean slaughtering them isnt
going to teach them anything but neither is telling them exactly what to do, I was thinking asking them what they were thinking at each point and to say their reasons outloud so I can comment of their tactics and such.

PS: Armies I'm teaching Chaos Undivided w/ Khorne, Necrons and Imperial Fist Space Marines. I play Necron and used to have Chaos until I sold it so that should not be difficult.

·
Registered
364 Posts
all I can say is good luck and my yopu be a good teacher

·
Registered
211 Posts
Play an "open hand" game. Advise them, but don't play it for them. Then on your turn explain what you are doing and why. Also, just ask them what you need to roll and whether or not you can do it. This way you can help them and still not have to do tests.

·
Registered
364 Posts
that is a pretty good Idea, I wish I could learn that way but I still have to find some one to help me get all the rules just right, and play a game with the 4th ed. rules

·
Registered
255 Posts
To be honest, pretty much all you can really do in the 'teaching' capacity is teach them the rules. If they're idiots, they probably wont ever 'get it' no matter how much you tell them what to do. If they're clever, most of the tactics and things will come naturally.

There's some things they can be taught, but most of learning is just playing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honestly...experience is what will win them the game. You can teach them the rules over and over..and try to teach them tactics...but it will all be out of context, and not knowing how the game plays they won't fully comprehend what youve told them.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
A good teachng method i have used is 1000pt lists. 1000pt games allow people to try armies they like, and try unit combinations. In addition, play your "student" with a different army each time. After each game go over what he tried, and what didn't work. Then switch armies to allow him to see the strengths and weaknesses of each army. This speeds up the learning process as since your playing with different armies each time, he has to learn to be flexible and he can't just depend on things like 3+ saves, or we'll be back. In addition, your student will find the army he likes, not just the one every plays.

·
Registered
364 Posts
that sound like really good idea MouseC112 I think that might work for you Osaria.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am new to the game since November-ish and the way i was taught was starting with killteam scenarios. I don't know how new these people are, but killteam helped me, because I only had to focus on the movements and actions of one unit, and could try different special weapons, etc in that unit. Killteam rules are a bit different, but it helped me learn the basics and basic strategy as well (keep in mind we played 2 killteams and 1 brute squad... we had to write some things different but the killteams sometimes ended up facing off against each other :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts