Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in the best wood elf moments that the player charged a unit with dryads, cast treesinging at the unit, then destroyed it in close combat. I was under the impression that you can't cast treesinging at an engaged unit. Was I wrong?

SirKently

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
That was me that wrote that in the best moments post. My friends and I just got into this game so that might have been a rule fluke. Regardless of playing it wrong, my friend stays out of my woods now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I dont have my book at my side, but I believe the spell says it can be cast on any unit within a wood. I cant recall a specific time, but I think Ive cast it into combat before without objection from anyone.

-BigPappa.

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having looked it up, I would have to say that it is illegal as the rules for casting on page 107 say "Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise."

As there is no exception listed in treesinging, I would have to say that you can't do it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
this is true, but if you read the spell of treesinging, the spell is not targeting the unit, but it is targeting the forest, it just happens that the unit gets hit after this, acrording to the spell. =)

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point, although I think that may be parsing the language a little to much. Not sure which way I would lean now.

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then I will accede to your experience. Guess I will be able to surprise a few of my opponents in the future. As to the question in the origianal post, I can now answer it. I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

SirKently

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
I'm glad I wasn't playing it wrong. Lo' the day those HE come into my woods.

·
Registered
107 Posts
dude its not a problem, its a common mistake, it says it hits the unit in the forest not targets, it targets the forest, which in turn might be chessey but hey where wood elves, what else we gonna do =)

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
A unit in combat cannot be targetted directly or indirectly with a spell unless the spell explicity states that it can in it's description.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well,
as this will be my very first post on this forum, I realise my weigt here will not be very big.
As a judge in my own country (belgium) and a wood elve player by heart, I can tell you that we forbit treesining on units in hth combat.
Wy?
facts:
-Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise.
-treesinging can be cast on any ennemy unit inside a wood, causing D6 strenght 5 hits.

Hence the spells says nothing about casting in combat, and it is forbidden to cast on a unit in combat unless it does so, you can not cast it on a unit in combat.
About the argument where the forest is being targetted and causing damage to the unit, I'd just like to mention the following examples:
-by my knowledge, the only other thing that can cast damage to enemy units in combat is skaven magic. Skaven pay a heavy toll for being allowed to cast in hth. It seems strange wood elves should be allowed then.
-when you cast, say, an uranon's tunderbolt on a unit, you technically mak a big burst of electricity in the sky and let that attack the ennemy unit. You aren't stating this can be cast on a unit in cc either...

I do understand your opinion dough rifleman270, and I surely understand that you take the point off view off GT judges above mine. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing on something, I hope you dont feel offended in any way.
Could you please tell my what explanation the GT-judge gave wy you were allowed to cast this spell in hth?
Thanks In advance
WYSiWYG

·
Registered
107 Posts
well he realy didnt talk to me, he more or less told my opponet I could do it, didnt realy explain anything, but this wasnt a Games day GT, it was a local GT that certain people run every year, so as far as i knew the guy knew what he was talking about, but that dosnt mean he wasnt a scub judge lol, but since your an offical Gamesday Judge ill yield to your ruleing, we all know sometimes people THINK they know the rules, now I belive this was one of those cases, ill be looking into this further and investigate it till I can get an affermitive awnser.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a friendly reminder that the forum rules require people to post using correct English.

This means the use of punctuation and capitals as appropriate. This makes the posts more legible and maintains the standards of LO.

If you could all please take some time to edit your posts to comply.

Thanks
Skar

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can use Treesinging against a unit in combat the non-damage version and possibly MOVE them due to the rule says you can cast it on a tree that contains no enemy models if you position correctly you can make it so there isn't any enemy models and break the combat from moving your tree (with the unit inside not the enemy, note the tree has no enemy models inside it) so you can get away, cheap little trick :p

Another note:
You are targeting the tree not the enemy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It kinda takes away the wood elfness away from tree singing an enemy unit in combat.

Think about it, if someone is in a WE forest then there gonna get hurt, because what WE wouldnt use a little help now and again in combat. Think about it majority of the time ur core units are toughness 3 right across the board.

Also during the Nemesis Campaign, Winter War, and on games night at GW they allowed me to tree sing my enemies while in combat.

Kinda funny watching a guy throw 3 dispel dice to stop a treeman treesinging, and roll all 1's.8X

·
Registered
26 Posts
@ Skarsgard
I am sorry you got irritated about my language. I cant help myself, english is not my mother tongue, it is my third language, and I am not good at it at all... Talking is alright, but I learned it from watching television, and we dont have subtitels in english...
If my language really is a big problem, just tell me, and I'll stop posting stuff. I do not wish to break the rules the moderators made, so that everybody could enjoy reading. (feeling ashamed now... :( )

@ rifleman270
I must have explained myself badly. I am a judge in my own country, as in "I judge the major (major meaning: the most important ones, with the most players showing up) tournaments in Belgium". By my knowledge, there are no Games workshop tournaments in Belgium. I was not at all saying my interpration off this particular rule was better then your judges was, I was just trying to explain wy we judge this question the way we do, and was curious about the reasons wy it should be judged differently, as we couldn't find any.

@lord0chaos
I friendly suggest you to reread the rules for using the non damage version off tree singing on a forest. By my knowledge, you just cant use it unless there are no ennemys inside...
This makes it kinda hard to use it in combat I guess.

WYSiWYG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.