Votes: 37 86.0%
  • Treekin

Votes: 6 14.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I'm just getting back into Warhammer after a long leave and I'm being presented with a large number of different units for Wood Elves to choose from that simply weren't available before. Each unit has its own advantage and role to fill, but there are 2 that tend to fill the same support roll.
A Treeman and a Treekin unit.

I don't get the opportunity to play much but the scenarios I can imagine it is difficult to tell what unit is superior, a unit of 3 or so Treekin (with slightly lower stats, and cost... but there is 3 of them), or the more expensive terror causing "slap you around from afar" Treeman.

From your experiences who performs better? the single large target behemoth, or the smaller but still devastating Treekin? Looking at the stats I would think "3 heads are better then 1" but looking at the sample armies presented on this forum the Treeman seems to be the indisputable favorite. Is there a reason for this that I am simply not aware of? Or is this post going to be putting a new light on that oh so favorite rare choice?

·
4,361 Posts
Treeman in a landslide. It is stubborn which is really important, have a missile attack, have a bound spell, and a higher toughness, better save.

Treekin just have a hard time getting by static combat resolution sometimes. And they are less maneuverable.

SirKently

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Treeman in a landslide. It is stubborn which is really important, have a missile attack, have a bound spell, and a higher toughness, better save.

Treekin just have a hard time getting by static combat resolution sometimes. And they are less maneuverable.

SirKently
Well stubborn shouldn't matter any because I believe everyone here can agree that both units are support related and shouldn't be going in alone. I agree the missile attack can be beneficial in the rare cases that you would choose to use it (I may be looking at this the wrong way but I believe the treeman would be more effective rushing into a flank rather then sitting back and attacking a unit to drop a model or two). The tree singing is gold, but the toughness and save are nice but can be overlooked by more wounds and more attacks.

I'm still not sold.

·
Registered
793 Posts
you will be hard pressed to find an opponent who will expose his flank to any of our rank-negating units.
His Close combat powers is that of an anchor. he can hold against the enemy for a long time before he finally falls, giving you the time you need to line up your support charges; no other unit we have can offer this. also, 5 attacks about 2-3 will hit and of those 1-2 will fail to wound. Strangleroots can have up to 10 hits at str 4, there is alot high chance of wounds going through.

I ushually use my treeman as a flashy distraction. People tend to concentrate on it because it is so nasty, and while they focus on him the rest of my army moves into position.

Treekin are just wimpy wanna be treemen, they have a role but are not comparible to the big guys themselves

·
Registered
30 Posts
Treeman all the way.

I would not go into a battle without one, i use them to hold the centre of my line while more manuverable units do flank charges. Never underestimate strangle root attack!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a very sobering in a sense. I appreciate all the input and I guess I will follow the leader on this one but I just don't understand how a single unit with slightly higher stats is viewed drastically better in comparison then 3 of smaller units... after all isn't that the idea of our army, 3 of the smaller guys can beat out 1 of the bigger guys?

BTW. I don't have ANYTHING against the Treeman other then his points value... too many eggs in a basket in my opinion.

·
4,361 Posts
While treeman are considered better, you don't have to follow the leader as you say. Try the treekin or better yet make an army with both and see which one you like best on the table.

Oh, and one other thing about treemen, they cause terror which can also be helpful in a game.

SirKently

·
Registered
505 Posts
4 treekin will cost you 260 pts. They are t5, s5. 12 attacks.
Most things that are comprable points, they will get in 6 hits. So 6s5 hits and a commitment to combat.

Treemen will cost you 285. They are t6, s6, with strangleroots.
They can strangleroot to get an average of 5 hits. So 5s5 hits and no commitment to combat.

When they are charged, I know it's argued, but I think they can strangleroot in the current errata.

If they do commit to combat, they are unridden and can assassinate characters safely, as they have S6 attacks and will probably not break if run with a BSB.

They're simply more flexible, with the same damage potential, and less dangerous commitment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The treeman is defiantly my favorite but my army usually has both and I use the treemen to keep them still so the treekin can flank, but if i had to choose between one or the other, I'd have to say that the stubborn ability is most important so we can get our wildriders or other flankers in position.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, I agree that stubborn actually is a big deal. It's nice to have a unit that *can* go it alone for a while if necessary, as you can't always pick your battles.

I like treekin more than most, but I have to agree that a treeman is the better option. It's more versatile, tougher, and more maneuverable (which is important). Don't undervalue the bound treesing and strangleroot attack.

Also, S6 is a big deal for wood elves, and a very important factor in the treeman's ability to tangle with hydras and the like. A unit of treekin has a lot tougher time with these kinds of opponents; the treeman is really one of the only things in the WE army that can manage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Treekin hands down. I know that stubborn has been mentioned but i dont find it the all that great IMO. My treeman has been run down so many times I only use him usually to make points if it is a big game. I think the extra wounds and having the elder to kill unit champs and the rest of the unit dishes out a pretty good hit on most units is wat sells me on them. And as far as the strangle root goes, why do i need my huge CC units shooting, wat the heck are glade guard for!

BTW I thought i read someone asking if a treeman can stand and shoot and the answer if yes he can it is in the FAQ for WE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tre Kin are usful however when contesting wiht a treeman there is a clear winner, Treeman and a BSB can hold any unit up for an age, and with the treeman's high toughness it becomes extremely hardto wound even to strentgh 4 things

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After running a dual treeman + BSB list in a local cheese tournament... I'm just going to put this out there. The treeman + BSB list isn't really that great. Your opponent can easily evade the slow treeman or feed it fodder. I think that Treekin are more effective in a battle simply because your more likely to run them up the middle and let them cause some havoc... Just my two cents. Since I started this post I have used Treemen a lot and honestly I'm starting to think that the massive amount of points could be better spent (granted when the Treeman is in combat he is a tank but again IF your opponent is good he can easily evade the slow unit).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use both,the treeman more than treekin though.I'll have to vote treeman,saved my butt lots of times...........but it also noms my point total though.......whatever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts