Librarium Online Forums banner

Tank or Target

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been flipping through a number of the 2000+ army lists and I keep seeing the re-occurring idea of the Treeman Ancient popping up (typically partnered with a standard Treeman), but I can't see myself dropping the points into a character that will almost be 400 points. I agree a general that can also be an anchor is great but I can only see myself playing the Highborn as the army general. This could just be me being an old school player just getting back into it...

So for all of you who have treaded these waters:
Do any of you actually use the Treeman on a regular basis with success? or is he just a marching bulls-eye?
(even telling your experiences when undecided is always helpful)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think that a ton depends on the player, the opponent, and the board. Against an enemy army full of cannons and the like with little terrain, he's going to be a target and probably get busted pretty quickly. On the other hand, against armies with less heavy shooting and/or more ample terrain to block line of sight, he can be an absolute beast. He can go up against things that nothing else in the army short of a dragon can go up against, and with an annoyance of netlings he can take on even very killy characters.

That said, you have to know how to use him in concert with your other units and how to use the board to your advantage.

So basically, as far as I can tell players experiences with him run the gamut and your choice to take him or not should probably come down to personal preference and local metagame.

·
4,361 Posts
I have used him on occasion. That isn't an option though in your poll. He is good in some games, lousy in others, but that goes for most of our characters.

SirKently

·
Registered
104 Posts
As it was said before, it depends on a variety of factors. If you choose wisely, (and play right) its a game winner. If not, is a 400+ pts future pile of timber...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have to agree that it all depends on a number of factors in the end. My concern is if the character is worth the extra points for the exact same stats of a regular treeman? I would think the extra points could be better spent investing in a Great Eagle or the like.
-The entire post here was to see if further investing in the Ancient (with Spites) pays off or if it just makes for easy VPs. On paper I can't see it being worth the extra points, but that same line of thought was proven to not be the entire story back when I was considering Treekin Vs. Treeman.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I tend to use Treemen as artillery batteries. Strangle root, peel off ranks. Get charged, and sometimes stand and shoot (depending on if opponent lets me). For the most part, I try to avoid combat for as long as possible. To that end, TMA is not too much better; save for higher LDshp for stubborn, and more singing, which is nice. :)

The other thing I use them for is character assassination. Charge an unridden monster into unit and direct attacks at characters. Take down a BSB and you get your points back. With a banner, they can usually take down the character and stay in combat long enough for support to arrive. TMA can be challenged, so for assassination, meh. Not as hot.

What a TMA does let me do, is have a T6 W6 character with netlings. That's dang hard to take down! Even Acheron couldn't do it! :D He also gets you a radient in your Lord slot (so you don't lose dice in the dispel pool for taking a combat choice), and takes care of leadership. He's a good swiss army knife.

Also, my experience, close combat armies don't really like dealing with him. Most things that can crack a TM can be challenged by a TMA, and netlings is god of survivability. He gives us an option against smashy Lord Choices.

(conclusion, when I don't take a Spell Weaver, I take a TMA. More versitile, less fleshy, and more threatening than a HB for less cost. And we're maneuverable enough to ensure he's not in combat unsupported.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
imo never take treeman ancient, use treeman instead same stats only 1 less treesinging and 1 less leadership and it doesnt consume lord and rare choice plus cost 50 point less :p

·
Registered
691 Posts
when I fought WE in 5th edition, I would say TANK. I mean, the guy that used WE rarely came into a 2000 point game with less then 80-100 archers vs my Skaven Army, in units of 8-10 spread all over the map. ANd there was ALWAYS 1-2 Treemen in his army in a back stop sort of role, waiting for my troops to come across, at which time he would move forward to counter them.

And since my troops usually got pincushioned as we approached, I usually only got 1-2 skaven regiments into CC.

And then the Treemen came in.....

I found ways to win, of course, but Treemen in a WE are tanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Treeman Ancient, maybe because he is friends with another Treeman that are in the centre of my battle line and with a flying battle standard bearer behind them, making both treemen leadership 9 with a reroll!

·
4,361 Posts
Well, the regular treeman would be leadership 8 with a reroll. You can't use a characters leadership unless its the general, and you can't use the generals leadership for a stubborn roll

SirKently

·
Registered
226 Posts
I voted undecided because there wasn't a both option.I used him once and he wasted a unit of chaos knights by challenging the character within and overkilling breaking the unit(with the help of a unit of wardancers),wardancers ran them down,and the chaos player seeing that,proceeded to magic my treeman ancient to death.Hey,he made up his points(roughly,i think).

·
Registered
793 Posts
I thought he was pretty good but expensive and used him rarely.
Then one of my treemen got killed by a hail of repearter CROSSBOW fire. Since then I've started spreading my points out around more common troops rather than Big nasty things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts