Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you enjoyed apocalypse with some friends. I can't stress "Friends" enough.
There is a good chance that it was a weird thing if you played a tournement with apocalypse rules and got all competetive! This is all about your impressions when in a relaxed enviroment with friends, as was it was meant for.

How did you play? Any Themes? Did you stick to one army and so on. Tell us all your good and negative experiences with the new rules when playing with friends.

·
421 Posts
with us it was twice eldar against UM and Bloodangels.

Both space marine armies brought a baneblade . one eldar player brought both a revenant titan and a nightwing fighter.

good part. you can experiment with units that are otherwise cumbersome to get into a list.

bad part. some strategems are very cheap, like flankmarch and carefull preparation, that lallow to deploy half of the reserves in the first round in the back of the enemy lines.

·
4,967 Posts
We had a game where both sides were alowwed 2 assets and both sides took flank march and careful planning. reserves were of course very important in that game.

I have seen ambush used with great effect against flank marchers. Flank march isn't broken in my view if you play 3v3 player games. If I take flank march in this type of game only my men can use it not all men on my side. Also to counter its power place your objectives towards the middle of the board. At least you can see flank marchers coming. The disruption beacon can also screw flank marchers up.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Flank march does seem to be an issue, as does strategic redeployment, both can seriously nerf a game and strategic redeploy in particular seems unfluffy, eg IG infantry gun lines dissappearing from one end of a table and re-appearing on the other, the best approach seems to be to limit the numbers of units that this can effect, the example above, with 3 players on a side, is I suspect about right (no more than 1/3 of your army) but that is up the players and any referee to sort out, still think it is poor for for the sort of thing above
Thus far played 3 and refereed several (about 6) appoc games, when the players are friendly and fluffy it does work exceptionaly well and they are fun

One other observation on the down side - victory - more often than not the battle is pretty even, often the objectives are shared, so there seems to be a lot of draws, particularly if you look at the game rather than the objectives, they often seem to end half way through with things still in the balance (although won all games I played *smugness*)

·
4,967 Posts
I know what you mean about games hanging in the balance at the time limit. I tried to organise a game and 10 people said they would turn up so I said everyone get a 1000 point codex leagal army and a 500 point evpansion that could include apoc units and formations. The Idea was to keep the game from becoming all super heavy etc. Also if some people didnt show you can easily say - You three use 1500 points and drop some opposing playets to 1000 point lists if more evil players arrive than imperial"

Turns out that only 6 people tirned up but with 4500 per side it was a fantastic game and did go the full time limit. I was glad more diddn't arrive as it would have slowed play and not got a result.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since my club is mostly made of friends, it's easier to coordinate. We also play Apoc every Sunday (except once or twice due to extended holidays for example).

One nice thing about playing with friends is that you can make scenarios with specific rules. For example, capture a rogue Titan that has went insane. Each side's turn the Titan moves according to a 2D6 scatter roll and then fires at the nearest target on a 2nd scatter dice roll. Or you can make a game where you attempt to prevent the enemy VIPs from escaping via launch pads. You can easily control the amount of assets and rules that you want to use.

Flank march is an insane rule, when mixed with careful planning asset (via formations) you can go really insane against the enemy. However, this also makes sure you think of defense as well as offense.

Gaming with friends is really fun when you do crazy things like 14 drop pods (proxies of course!) and having 7 of them landing off the table due to the disruptor beacon hehe. The best part is that no one will call you an idiot due to not doing the "proper" way of playing. Did anyone realize you can have near unlimited SoB's orbital bombardments? Its limit is one per standard game if I recall correctly, but since there are no FOCs in Apoc, it can become an easy and cheesy way of filling up the gaps ;o

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.