Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of the fun of blowing the crap out of my ork friend's army is gone, now that he's become speed freeks. His outriders make it so unless the no-man's-land is at LEAST 31", he's got a chance to be in close combat on the FIRST TURN! :cry:
This really stinks. We don't often play giant games either. So this means that tanks are out, since his outriders (fitted with bombs) can blow them up in the first turn, or else just get into combat so the tanks are useless... it also means that all special weapons are pointless, since my boys will never get a chance to fire them.
So I'm thinking that the only thing to do is throw out all the cool guns and max out on conscripts, and try some rough riders or ogryn... this is a dismal day for the imperial guard. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with Speed Freaks? Specifically, on small boards, and assuming that he gets first turn (we "roll" over it... but he always wins the roll).
Thanks in advance for any feedback

- Abe

·
646 Posts
Iv'e never played against Orks before - are you sure his army can get into charge range with units 30" away on turn 1? This is a very rare ability that I have only ever seen Dark Eldar pull off.
Either way, it sounds like you are dealing with a fast open-topped vehicle.

There are many ways to deal with this threat, but on a very basic level: make sure your lines are out of consolidation range of each other. Put a throwaway unit at the front to tie them up, and as soon as they have got through that they will be left short. You can then empty rapid fire weapons into them. Also, no game is too small for tanks. What pts level are you playing at?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Autocannons are a good start vs. Speed Freaks as they ace their armor faster than any other heavy weapon, pickets out on the flanks are another possibility. This might sound counterintuitive, but using light infantry, storm troopers, sentinels, or vets to set up advanced lines takes a lot of wind out of his blitz. If you go first, the infiltrators will get in some prime shooting. If he goes first, the outriders will have to choose between zipping past your infiltrators or slowing down to deal with them.

Another very good option is drop troops. Or a basilisk at the extreme rear of the table, to shoot over the outriders.

·
646 Posts
IG has picked up on another important point. If you can't keep your lines protected, don't take line infantry, an army who's firepower was equaly split between tanks and infantry would present no particularly tasty target for the speed freaks, and once they charged what little infantry you had they would suddenly be at the mercy of your armour.

However this might be a bit of an over-reaction. :D

·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. Last game we played his biker nobs made a cruel example out of my bassie's with their tankbusta bombs... they're no joke! Pretty much the same idea as meltaguns.
I like the suggestion about infiltrators, and I've never really focused on spreading out ,my ranks before. Here's a kind of off-topic question: is the consolidation 6"? So, 7" is the right distance between squads?
He takes lots of bikes, some buggies and then a truck or two with mega armor inside. The bikes are the immediate threat, and usually are already decimating my army before his truckboys can even get there. I think next time we play, I'm going to cut out the tanks and substitute some infiltrating vet's with autocannons... I'm not sure how much they'll slow him down though...
Thanks for the advice so far!

·
Registered
518 Posts
my friend play a speed freaks army.
1.autocannons are great.
2.tanks are great
(note you may have had your bassie blown up but you need target priority.)
with a mostly tank army you MUST prioritize the Anti Tank units

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ok, there is a problem. Check the rule book, yes his vehicles are fast(can go 24") BUT! you cannot get out of a vehicle that has moved over 12" that turn!!! So his charge range is limited to a bit over 18" This will still get a little close for confort, but it is easier to manage than first turn charges. The other's suggestions are all good ideas that should help with that however.

One thing that's important to remember Speed freaks don't mob up per se, the rally in the nearest truck. Kill the trucks asap, and he'll be stuck with nowhere to run to, an no more manuverable than footslogging orcs.

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
Dun forget tad da red onez go fasta.

As it has been said, autocannons excell against speed freaks, especially sentinel mounted ones... they're just plain murder to those trucks. Other than that, Chimerae with autocannons, fire suppose squads with autocannons and light infantry(for infiltrate). But as been said, I do know that a Speed Freek army is capable of a 25" charge range, though I can't remember how. :/

·
646 Posts
It's because they are open topped vehicles, so they can move 12" and their squad can get out and still assault. 12"+2"+6" = 20" assault range, so I think you got duped a little. I don't see how you could physicaly go faster than that as you can't disembark if the transport moved over 12" and once you get out you can't move more than 2", also, I don't think you can fleet - but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do know that a Speed Freek army is capable of a 25" charge range, though I can't remember how. :/
Move 12"
Red Paint Job 1"
Turbo Boosta 3" (Over three and they can't disembark)
Disembark 2"
Charge 6"

24" first turn charge is possible, not sure about 25".

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
Speed Freeks really got kicked in the nuts with the coming of 4th ed. The auto pinning when the vehicle is destroyed really really hurts. I wouldn't worry so much about the trukk boyz, I find the warbikes and the warboss to be the biggest problems. The trukk boyz come in relitivley small sumbers so you can finish them off quite effectively by just chargins with your guardsmen. Remember charging is good as you will strike first and deny him power of the WAGH plus you will get quite a lot more attacks.

I also suggest against a bassie seeing as the manouvrebility of the trukks can force the bassie to have to come out into the open fairly quickly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
He is referring to outriders. Outrides are orks on bikes. They get free scout move before the game begins. It is 2D6 move distance. So they could roll a 12 then move 12 and charge 6 but it is not likely. But if they roll a 6 or move it would be at least 24 inches across and most armies start 24 apart. So yes spread your forces out also do not give him the room to get to your tanks because they are always one unit with tankbusta. So try to screen off your tanks. Autocannons work well on them.
bonekrusher

·
Registered
598 Posts
ah, speed freeks

a friend of mine always plays them, the bikes are surprisingly not hard to deal with. One more then one occasion I just set up a conscript screen to protect my tanks. Nobs on bikes are a PAIN to kill, especially if they've all got 'eavy armor and power klaws. The best thing is to leave them tied up in frivelous combat like that and manuever your officers into position and get a charge.

Infilitrating also works to this end, but a conscript hoard is my preferred way. Also, keep your counter chargers close to the high priority targets (russ, bassy)

Heavy Bolters against orks are just death. Watch everything drop. Trukks, Buggies, Bikes, Orks, they all will collapse. Also, another key to remember is Close Order Drill because striking at the same time, even if you only kill 2 orks, is still helpful.

·
Registered
346 Posts
well thats why we got the KFF! so that on a 4+ glancing and it will be harder to blow open. With the KFF and armor plates a trukk can survive as well as armor 12, hell mabye 13!

·
Registered
346 Posts
kustom force field, its a field that can be given to any mek (big mek, deth kopta mek etc.) and it has a radius of 6 inches from him, on a 4+ all penetrating hits are downgraded to glancing and gives all boyz on foot a +5 cover save.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
I that's all, I think you are highly overestimating the survuvbility of the trukks. AV12? No way, AV11, if that. But really it's completly incomparible to the AV.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i know, it was an overexaguration, its just my tau friend hates them so much its funny and we have a joke how the railguns keep just happeneing to hit the tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts