Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had a battle against a player who was using a 1500 point spacewolf army exclusively in terminator armour. The list I used was cobbled together from what I had on me at that point so I ended up with three standardruss a couple of platoons tricked out with 2 melts squads plasma squad and an autocan squad I had a couple of vets units with autocans and a few otherminor bits including a lascannon squad and secondmain command with missile launcher.

Now I ended up losing on objectives but mainly due to the fact I couldn't really damage his termies too much. His army consists of three squads and a vindicator. First squad has Logan second has a librarian third has a wolf lord there is also a lone wolf in the list with twin lightning claws. He has a weakness with his longer ranged shooting but the squads are pretty tough so soak up a load of fire.

What I am after is some advice on combating this army. The lessons I learnt playing it are that the termies are susceptible to high volumes of medium power fire eh heavy bolters also that thevi dicator needs to be removed quickly and efficiently. I am considering anexterminator with paso inside to lay down some firepower other than that I've not really managed to come up with much.

So advice on what to take will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

A

·
Registered
230 Posts
Demolisher cannons, plasma weaponry, and lotsa dakka.

Thus, LR Demolishers, LR Executioners w/ plasma sponsons, and massed lasgun shots, punisher tank (kind of a meh choice, but it has a purpose here) and even hydras. Either deny them that 2+ or make them take so many saves they just can't make them all. The second tactic actually works better imo if they've all got storm shields.

·
Registered
478 Posts
demolishers are absolutely brilliant for throwing plenty of pie-shaped templates on top of squads consider 2 or 3 of them as they are quite durable and will deal out some serious hurt. personally id take a demolisher with plasma cannon side sponsons so that i dish out lots and lots of ap2 templates... plasma weaponry is good and if you have spare lascannons they are useful basically as many ap 2 weapons as possible with high bs models, preferably template weapons

·
Registered
281 Posts
I find Sisters of Battle allies work quite well, have a squad of ten with a flamer and heavy flamer, then get within rapid fire range and use the rending act of faith. You should force a reasonable number of 5+ inv saves for them to go down. I also concur with several demolishers mmm pie!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a unit of terminators DS right next to my line (more like a blob really) and I was really concerned since I take a majority of grenade launchers and autocannons and a lot of mortars that game.

The short of it is that two platoons and a CCS took it out with a few good orders. Cause enough wounds and they go down. If my math is right - it takes 36 lasgun shots to take down one terminator. (1/6 casualty, 2/6 wound, 1/2 hit). 4 guard squads can put out (with 1rf2rf) 48 lasgun shots (at long) assuming the above combination of AC and GL. There are
1 1/3 wounds right there. GL (4) put out ~.28 wounds. AC (4) put out ~.56 wounds. Then the PCS and CCS fire (I gave them strait GL too) and the CCS puts out ~.37 wounds and the PCS combined put out ~.56 wounds. Those number add up to about 3 termies each round of fire. Not so hot... I guess there was a little luck on my side (his saves weren't too grand).

Hit them with templates first if they DS like I did - firing mortars killed one or two I think with a little luck but I wouldn't count on it. Honestly that's probably not a lot of your army in those two platoons there so I'm sure you could have something else to open up those cans.

I'd be happy killing a squad a turn.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
For me, its demolishers, Grey Knight Terminators, Power Armour grey knights, and veteran squads with plasma rifles and demo packs. They might laugh with their all terminator army, but put them up against a force where most of their weapons ignore their major advantage (2+ save), and they'll be crying foul.

GKTs, you might ask, what makes them so useful? Well, with all the psyker powers flying around, having a Grey Knight grandmaster with retinue + null rod certainly makes psykers cry, but more importantly, you're getting a bunch of Nemisis force weapon attacks. Beat them at their own game: Take the termies, and show them what a REAL terminator can do in a fight (S6 power weapons at initiative? Yes please. Throw in a Holy Relic for giggles, and watch the enemy terminators fall).

This is also one of the few times I'd say to give your GKTs incinerators if you can. Make them roll extra wounds.

·
4,967 Posts
Take something like this

HQ: CCS, 3 plasma, 1GL, Master of the fleet, chimera. 185

Troops: 10 vets, 3 plasma, chimera. 170
Troops: 10 vets, 3 melta, chimera. 155
Troops: 10 vets, 3 melta, chimera. 155

Heavy: LR Demolisher, hull HB. 165

Total 1500

You have 12 BS4 plasmaguns and some meltas to back them up. Keep the infantry in the chimeras and fire from the hatch. His 3 termie units will have to kill the chimeras to get at the troops inside.

Kill his longfang unit at the first opportunity to keep your chimeras alive as long as possible. Logan will make them relentless and they split fire at multiple tanks.

When he opens a transport or two his termies will move to kill the squads, when he does this the combats should not last too long enabling your other units to rappid plasma the victorious wolfguard into oblivion. Keep the army supporting each other and punnish any unit that gets too close.

The master of the fleet will hopefully keep a reserve drop pod off the table until turn 3 or 4. Use the time to gang up on the first wave. Keep your demolishers with their backs to the table edges and force the enemy to kill them in combat so you can gun down the termies in your following turn. If the demolishers keep moving the wolfguard will only hit on a 4+ in combat.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
All-Terminator armies suffer greatly from a low model count...and, generally, from a lack of antitank firepower. Rather than listhammer something to counter him specifically, try to have all infantry in cover, keep him away from your tanks at all costs and mass as much firepower as you can on one squad at a time. If you can manage to feed him only one or two units at a time then you'll outlast him. Once he has only a couple squads left, his tactical options will be few.

With Loganwing there is the additional problem of lone wolf terminators. Try to tarpit them; there isn't much else to be done.

Sadly, Terminator lists can no longer be countered by bringing lots of Demolishers and special weapons. Between cover saves and storm shields, low-AP weapons aren't much more effective than regular battle cannons and grenade launchers. Just have something to crack a Land Raider.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Sadly, Terminator lists can no longer be countered by bringing lots of Demolishers and special weapons. Between cover saves and storm shields, low-AP weapons aren't much more effective than regular battle cannons and grenade launchers. Just have something to crack a Land Raider.
This is so true with the new Marine 'Dex.

I find massed fire is the way to go. I know this Forum isn't fond of them, but I like Punishers for this task as much as anything. Make them make their saves. Flamer and Heavy Flamers, and here is where massed Lasgun Fire is helpfull, especially with First Rank fire, Second Rank fire!

5 Termies. Punisher shoots 23 shots. 11 hit. (6.6 wounds). CCS of with 4 Flamers (hit 5 Each) pop out of Chimera, causes (10 wounds). Infantry Squad pop out of Chimera with Heavy Flamer and Flamer (5 wounds). 8 Rapid Firing (three shots each) Lasrifles cause (8 more wounds). That is a total of 30 wounds. You should kill all five if the math averages out.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You could also take lots and lots of Hellhounds, with huge infantry platoons. Force him to make the saves. It's a good ranged attack that never misses. With his terminators, you should be able to hit most, if not all of them, and you're wounding on a 2+, so you'll wound most of them too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome to Statical Attrition 101

Orders + Massed Fire + tricks (misleading those BCP's with 55 point bait squads) will make a SW player flinch when his 80 point warrior drops from a failed lasgun save fired by some illiterate schmo whos emptying his bowels faster then his lasgun power pack at the horde of charging terminators.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to Statical Attrition 101

Orders + Massed Fire + tricks (misleading those BCP's with 55 point bait squads) will make a SW player flinch when his 80 point warrior drops from a failed lasgun save fired by some illiterate schmo whos emptying his bowels faster then his lasgun power pack at the horde of charging terminators.
When battling Space Marines, in particular an army i know is going to have a Terminator Squad or two, I deploy my infantry squads as combined squads, 30 plus (per squad) troops using 'first rank, second rank, fire' is devestating. I keep em where i want em by chcuking cheap tricks in their faces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.