Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try something new and different from my Imperial Guard over Vassal, so I chose the Dark Eldar as they seem interesting and evil enough.
First of all, where are the vehicle upgrades? I cannot find them in the codex a friend of mine gave to me.
Second, the Dark Eldar lord(Archon in the example) is not armed with any weapons at his basic cost, but he has 3 attacks. So, if I give him an agonizer and close combat weapon, he'll have 4 attacks, right?
The rule "Horrifying" which grotesques have does not affect fearless creatures?
Lastly, who can have soul seeker ammunition? Only characters with access to armory and ranged weapons I guess?
I'll have some more questions when I get a game with them.

P.S. Is it just me or Mandrakes are not very useful?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to the way life should be, welcome to the dark eldar side of life 0:

That are a awfull lot of questions :D

First of all, where are the vehicle upgrades? I cannot find them in the codex a friend of mine gave to me.
The upgrades a vehicle can take are in the options thing just at the vehicles entry, what they do is on page 13 (lovely number :D) at the vehicle upgrade thing.

Second, the Dark Eldar lord(Archon in the example) is not armed with any weapons at his basic cost, but he has 3 attacks. So, if I give him an agonizer and close combat weapon, he'll have 4 attacks, right?
True and using combat drugs gives u 5 attacks :D

The rule "Horrifying" which grotesques have does not affect fearless creatures?
Dont know this forsure, seems to me like it affects any opponent even fearless ones, as no ld test is made, but dunno this forsure.

Lastly, who can have soul seeker ammunition? Only characters with access to armory and ranged weapons I guess?
This can be given to anyone with access to the armory: lord, sybarite, etc. but it doesnt looks like a usefull upgradeto me.

I'll have some more questions when I get a game with them.
Just fire away ^^

P.S. Is it just me or Mandrakes are not very useful?
Tho i dont use them my self, they can be really anoying, its just the way u use them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply. It appears that there are no vehicle upgrades on page 13 in my codex - maybe it's first printing or something.
Anyway, I composed a quick list and posted it in the corresponding section.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There were two editions on C:DE and you probably have the first one. Vehicle upgrades, witches new rules and many new things are in the second edition dex, so you have to get one to play.

Yes to your second question.

Yep, horrifying does not affect fearless units.

And yep, only characters and unit champions with access to the armory can use SS amo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were two editions on C:DE and you probably have the first one. Vehicle upgrades, witches new rules and many new things are in the second edition dex, so you have to get one to play.
Damn. Maybe I will download it from somewhere.
I found an update on GW's site - that's valid, right?

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
I believe most of that is correct, but there are a few point discrepancies.

With how un-popular DE is there is no dl for it. You will have to buy it. Yes an investment. But the dark kin are worthwhile. You will feast on your victims souls by the thousands and all I require is a portion of your capture for the rearing of you into the ways of the true kin.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Ur really sure about this? Codex states that no leadership test have to be taken and fearless only makes sure they pass any moral checks they make, so if they dont even make a check, they cant pass it anyway.

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Dark Eldar : Dark Eldar Deadly Vehicle Upgrades here are the vehicle upgrades.
Hi,
I can’t seem to find the quote that covers this but………I believe that the BGB “Fearless” is superior to “Terrifying Opponent.”

In both cases a leadership test is not required, the Codex says that the enemy automatically falls back whereas the BGB they never fall back. What a mess!

The rules should NEVER use absolutes like “always’ and “never” but instead rely on a comparison of abilities on a chart (much like the To Hit chart.)

Now if I can just find where it backs up “Fearless” being the superior……….

Cheers.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
In the end it does not matter who insto fails or who insto passes. The fact remains that the fearless unit never fall back and as a result even if they auto fail they dont fall back and as a result they stay in combat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've found this to be a problem with a lot of the DE rules, in htis case not falling back would seem more logical. But the codex state:

Terrifying opponent: Grotesques are horrible opponents to fight against. Any opponent beaten by them in close combat automaticlly falls back, without a Leadership test being taken.
It clearly states no test maken, tho I tend to say it doesnt affects fearless units because of the never falls back part of fearless and it being more logical that they simply ignore the terrifying part of the grots, im not really sure about this.

But I found this to be a problem with more of the DE rules, for example: Hellmasks or Mask of the damned, these state about a Leadership test being taken, while fearless only affects moral checks. This would mean even fearless units to be affected by these mask, while this doesnt makes any sence to me, as in my oppinion fearless units shouldnt be stopped by anything.

The rules should NEVER use absolutes like “always’ and “never” but instead rely on a comparison of abilities on a chart (much like the To Hit chart.)
Totaly agree with this, rules should be made more clear, hope this will be fixed in 5th edition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the clarifications.
I really like the style of play with Dark eldar and how they work. I am going to buy some miniatures when GW releases new models(not so hilariously spiky. I can live with the body armor spikes, but the ones on helmets are just too much. I mean, how do they manage to hold their heads up, really?).
Hooray for piratic raiders who torture the innocent(or not so innocent) souls they capture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.