Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, one of these threads. I'm close to finishing my latest army and until the Blood Angels are released later this spring, I'm looking for a project to get stuck into. I have the following armies:

- Necrons
- Mechanised IG
- Drop Pod/Scout-heavy SM
- Deathwing

So I'm just trying to come up with some quirky and interesting ideas for new armies. I'm not a hugely competitive player, but I'm more looking for interesting modelling or conversion opportunities. I'm quite low on ideas, so anyone have any to share?

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
Hmm well I like to make fluffy armies, my armies are:

-Guard converted to represent Adeptus Mechanicus

- Guard converted to be for a WWI british army

- Some fantasy tomb kings with an intricate back story.

Things i've always wanted to do:

Chaos army incorporating viking gods.

Penal Legion/Traitor guard (i'm working on it now)

Hopefuly you can grab some ideas or inspiration.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've been thinking about doing some projects..

Currently I am just closing up my Revolutionary Army - Ragtag civilians who picked up weapons and fought for freedom from the tyrannical imperium. Uses Ork rules.

Next I could go a bunch of ways. Mechanized Grey Knights..

Cyborgs of Khorne..(I have a bunch of old Necrons sitting around)

A white, brown-pelted Forest-based Space Wolf/Black Templar Kitbash using Lots of swords and Black Templar rules.

Chaos Cultist army, Using Tyranid rules (Monsterous creatures would be great big renegade mechanicus robots/machines of deathy death. :p)

Or, Dark Eldar. :p

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Gotta love themed armies. I always focus more on a theme than being competetive, especially since I'm more interested in painting and converting than I am gaming.

Current projects include:
- My long-term Septem Edo ideas, which involves 7 different and heavily themed Tyranid fleets (although one is being made by LO member Inquisitor Blackadder), a custom Marine chapter and a flamer/melta heavy Guard company
- Mechanized/cybork Ork army led by a Big Mek who loves exploding things
- Albino Skaven army, which I need to work more on a theme for
- Vampire Counts army which currently needs a theme...

I'd suggest going for something a little different to your current armies, maybe something like a Kroot army or, if you're willing to go into fantasy, a cavalry-only tomb kings army? Or maybe a centigor heavy beastmen army using Bretonnian rules? Play around with some fluff and see what sounds fun, then go for it.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd suggest going for something a little different to your current armies, maybe something like a Kroot army or, if you're willing to go into fantasy, a cavalry-only tomb kings army? Or maybe a centigor heavy beastmen army using Bretonnian rules? Play around with some fluff and see what sounds fun, then go for it.
I've already got a couple of WHFB armies (Night Goblins and Empire) tucked away, but none of my regular gaming buddies play Fantasy so I'm keeping it 40k for the moment. These are some great ideas coming out of the woodwork here guys, keep it up!

Here are some I've wanted to do for a while:

- Kroot who have begun feasting on Tyranids and are turning into something much darker
- Dreadnought-spam Orks (2 Meks, 9 Kans, 2 Dreads, rest of the points in Grots)
- Circus Orks, with Grot clowns being fired out of Grotzookas, Ork Nob Unicycle bikers...
- IG Artillery regiment

But what I'm really looking for is something low cost, with a lower model count. I've already got a few infantry-heavy armies so am looking for something a little different, y'know?

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
But what I'm really looking for is something low cost, with a lower model count. I've already got a few infantry-heavy armies so am looking for something a little different, y'know?
How about a Ork Nob heavy army. Maybe with wierd alien looking heads and paint them in wierd bright colours!

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
How about something like an Adeptus Arbites precinct?

You could also convert some land speeders to be like the cop cars from Bladerunner to accompany it.

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
My newest army theme is "the last ones", based footslogging, infiltrating IG.
The idea is the last survivors in the planet who still fight a guerilla warfare (like for example Che Guevara). As many infiltrators and scouts as possible, avoiding the "move or shoot" units. That can give me loads of conversion opportunities: ragged cloaks, damaged armour, long hair, big beards and different models (cadian, catachan etc). But the drawback is that any kind of vehicle or walker or DS unit can ruin the fluff. Maybe can be a combined force in Your case: IG and Scouts. Currently I am without funds for it...

·
Registered
346 Posts
- Drop Pod/Scout-heavy SM
-
So I'm just trying to come up with some quirky and interesting ideas for new armies. I'm not a hugely competitive player, but I'm more looking for interesting modelling or conversion opportunities. I'm quite low on ideas, so anyone have any to share?
I run this scout army i theme them as a new chapter so i dont use dreadnoughts. I theme this army with Telion training the scouts to become tactical marines i use no tactical marines. I run the storm. Some terminators a chaplin who is the "chapter master" in terminator armor in LR of any variant with terminators. and any heavy i feel like fielding at the time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
An army im building right now is Master of forge based with 6 dreadnoughts 3 venerable 3 ironclad scouts as the troops and a chaplin with jumppack in assult squad.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
My newest army theme is "the last ones", based footslogging, infiltrating IG.
The idea is the last survivors in the planet who still fight a guerilla warfare (like for example Che Guevara). As many infiltrators and scouts as possible, avoiding the "move or shoot" units. That can give me loads of conversion opportunities: ragged cloaks, damaged armour, long hair, big beards and different models (cadian, catachan etc). But the drawback is that any kind of vehicle or walker or DS unit can ruin the fluff. Maybe can be a combined force in Your case: IG and Scouts. Currently I am without funds for it...
That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'd make an exception about having no vehicles at all and instead give them access to something like a single Sentinel, fully modeled with light damage and graffiti and the like to look as if they've managed to take out the driver and took it for themselves. If done right I reckon it'd fit into the fluff nicely, not to mention look really quite cool.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I currently have a themed spacemarine army with a strong dragon motif. Originally created as the Black Dragons, they continued on until GW released an official scheme for the army and a determined lineage that did not match my own. So instead they became the Iron Dragons- a forgotten chapter with a history of violent civil wars and a radical new take on the imperial creed. Their fluff evolved into a novel, so they're a great deal more complex than that, but that's the gist of it.

I have two ideas that have been rattling around as well.
The first is an army of space marine bikes, themed on celtic raiders.
The second is an IG Valkyrie army themed on a regiment of highly trained, well equipped soldiers whose home was destroyed by a chaos coven while they were away on their first combat mission during the Damocles Gulf Crusade.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about something like an Adeptus Arbites precinct?
This would be a really good idea, except my IG army is already Arbites themed! They've got little converted shock mauls and suppression shields.

Boomer that's not a bad idea though. I really love what you've done with your 'Orks', definitely might take a leaf out of your book!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd say squats, but someone over at gw would probably have a heart attack :silly:

How about Medieval World IG? Rough Riders, plate armor, chainmail, and laslocks. On a similar vein, an Imperial force lost behind tau lines and forced to scavange their vehicles and weaponry. Defaced tau icons, welded on Imperial Aquilas, battle damage, etc. Plauge Zombie IG Force, nurgle theme of course - also useful if LatD get a new rulebook.

You could also go with a renegade WH Inquisitor, and use your imagination to come up with representations for Arco-flagellants, Penitent Engines, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts