Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting on the very first stages of my conversions of two Baneblade kits.

The Stormhammer, AKA The Tank With Too Many Guns, will have a widened turret with two long barrel battlecannon, four sponsons with TL heavy bolters and whatever else I can think of. Two more battlecannon will be mounted in the glacis. I have cut up the glacis areas of both tanks and attached the two demolition gun mounts side by side on this one, ready for battlecannon. Yes, it is a cheat but it is much easier than building two turrets, with clearance for all the other equipment and weaponry mounted on the hull.*

The Bull Grox will be a Baneblade Engineer Vehicle. This will have a big crane on a turret, a big dozer blade in front, two small dozer blades at the rear, a really big demolition gun in the hull and a pair of manipulator arms (like big Techmarine arms) in place of the sponsons, donated to the Stormhammer.

My question to you is, should the Stormhammer have long or short barrel battlecannon mounted in the hull?

I have four long barrel battlecannon, thanks to the Warstore , and I have a couple of short barrel battlecannon from Leman Russ tanks. If I use the shorties, I can then put the long ones on the Leman Russ to give them more 'punch'. Either way, I would trim the long barrels down a few mm.

PLMKWYT,
cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

*This is my first major Imperial Guard conversion job. I usually build Ork vehicles which are much more forgiving of sloppy saw cuts and desperate rummaging through the bits box.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Tank With Too Many Guns

The Tank With Too Many Guns

I have started the conversion work on the Stormhammer, AKA The Tank With Too Many Guns.
Here's the turret. It will sit more centrally on the hull, but it will not rotate. (It will in game terms, but the modelling is too complex for me to make it work on the actual plastic kit.)

Turret with two battlecannon

I added a demolition gun mount to the hull, for the two glacis mounted battlecannon:
Stormhammer hull with two demolition gun mounts

I was not sure whether to use long barrelled or short barrelled battlecannon for these weapons. I have now decided to use short barrels. They will be within the length of the tracks, making this behemoth look slightly more compact. This will also leave me the third and fourth long guns for modification of a pair of Leman Russ tanks. Perhaps the long barrels would look good on a 'tank hunter' variant, with no turret. I don't know - two Baneblades are enough for me.

Hull with two short battlecannon

Hull with two long battlecannon

Two long and two short battlecannon (My favourite)

Four long battlecannon

I also decided I didn't like the single suspension arrangement of the front rollers. It seems to me that the first sharp turn would tear a wheel and half the tracks off. So I have decided to beef up this with parts from one tank. The Bull Grox will have a shorter track arrangement (the tracks are segmented in straight lines, making it much easier to cut them neatly. Good thinking Games Workshop!). Also, the Bull Grox will have dozer blades and manipulator arms, hiding the change to the front suspension.

New front suspension

Lastly, I blanked off the 'shrines' in the engine plating:

Engine shrines blanked off

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments, folks.

The suspension idea just comes from my thought that the current piece looks 'flimsy' - even for a superheavy tank. So, I took the mirror image pieces from the second Baneblade kit. The donor - the Bull Grox engineer vehicle I am building - will just have the front wheel glued into the shrouds, and shorter tracks. At least the Baneblade tracks are easier to cut than the smaller IG ones. The front of the Bull Grox will have a big dozer blade and manipulator arms, so it won't be so obvious.

Another purchase I made from the Warstore was a pair of dozer blades from the IG vehicle accessory sprue. I am tossing up whether to place them on rear of the Bull Grox engineer variant, but your suggestions are quite valid. They will give the impression that the Stormhammer has to 'dig in' to the ground before it lets rip with four battlecannon!

What swayed me most though was the desire to mount the long barrel guns on two Leman Russ tanks. So, long/short on the Stormhammer it is.

More pics in a few days,
cheers
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Tank With Too Many Guns - New Stormhammer WIP pics

The Tank With Too Many Guns - AKA the Stormhammer - is 90% complete.

I assembled a couple of crew in their hatches, left separate for painting. I also left the tracks off for painting separately. I also jammed several pieces of foamcard into the hull and under the (broken) turret ring. An old broken file down the middle, and now I can rotate the turret!

I added antennas and spotlights to the turret, but no stowage. The four sponsons on the hulls are standard for a Stormhammer: four twin linked heavy bolters and four lascannon. (So more fire power than four Chimera APCs in the sponsons alone!)

The rear dozer blades were more complicated to mount on the hull than I had expected. The support frames looked very long and flimsy, so I used the two spare Hellhammer guns and a lot of plastic bits to give the assemblies some bulk. The Hellhammer guns have sufficient 'heft' and resemble hydraulic equipment, so it works for me. It also leaves two small Imperial eagles showing for a bit more of a 'Guard' look.

I am considering placing fuel drums on the hull sides, between the sponsons. There is enough room, and as the idea of the fuel drums is that they are used for 'admin' moves, rather than in combat, I don't think they are too vulnerable to enemy fire. (The drums are used for fuel before the vehicle's own fuel tanks, and then dropped before going into combat.)

Next job - paint it and glue it all together. Then it's on with Project Bull Grox - The Baneblade Engineer Vehicle.

PLMKWYT
Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

Reactions: qsd

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
The big dozers look real nice, put together sweetly but I just think they should be possitioned down more, can they be moved? If you had made them rotate along the hull and actually let them piston into the ground it would be a thousand times better, but its still nice work!

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments guys.
My converting skills don't extend as far as 'moving parts'. The reason the dozer blades have all the machinery on them is that it was the simplest way to mount them on the rear of the hull, on long arms. That meant they looked spindly, so I added the Hellhammer guns, which looked enough like bits of hydraulic machinery.
I also decided to put fuel tanks on the hull, between the sponsons. It might be questionable from a 'fire safety' point of view, but I think that with the extra weight of weapons and ammunition, this beast will be very thirsty. Also, the fuel tanks give it a bit more visual weight along the hull.

EDIT:
Oops - I misread your post, omgitsduane. I thought you meant 'could I make the blades move'. Truth is, I just lined them up by eye, and where I could glue them to the Baneblade hull. In my imagination the Stormhammer is on the battlefield, but still mobile. The crew have lowered the blades almost to the ground in preparation for UNLEASHING THE FURY OF FOUR BATTLECANNON BWAH HAH HAH HAH!

In other words, it was the fault of GW for inspiring me to build this monstrosity! Yeah, that's it - it's always GW's fault!

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I was just wondering when looking at the pictures :
1) is that many guns actually legal
2) do you really need the lascannon and bolters with 4 huge cannons?

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, it's a Stormhammer!

I would have to make up the stats with the Vehicle Design Rules, but I really built it for the sake of building it.

The Stormhammer is from Epic scale games - stats and descriptions for it vary, but it usually has two twin linked battlecannon. On Epic models, and some conversions, these are in two turrets. I didn't have the modelling skill to do that, so I took the alternative idea of mounting the second pair on the hull, in place of the demolition gun(s).

Secondary weapons for the Stormhammer are usually four twin linked heavy bolters in the sponsons, and four lascannon on top of the sponson. Like some other modellers, I chose to mount the rear TL HBs facing backwards.

I don't know if there is supposed to be a fifth TL HB turret on the glacis - and I didn't have much room for it anyway. I also added the heavy stubber on the turret, because it looked cool. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that a Stormhammer would be the biggest fire-magnet on the tabletop, other than a Titan, so I suppose all those guns are there to respond to infantry and armoured threats on the flanks.

So, in summary - it's an established WH40K vehicle, but you are right in that it has a ridiculous amount of weaponry. I haven't made stats for it, but if I did, they would be based on a Baneblade, and would only be used in a very big Apocalypse game.

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

PS - I edited my reply to your previous post, because I misread what you had written. Sorry!

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Nah thats cool dude, I still thinking it would be cool beans if they could lock into place when its ready and undeploy when its not in wartime. Still like how its going but wouldn't a tank with 600000 guns like this cost about 1500 points :p

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Obviously this beast will only appear in Apocalypse style games. The Emperor only knows what the PV will work out to be.
But it's not just that - when you build The Tank With Too Many Guns, where does all the ammunition go? Think about it - in real life, a modern tank weighing 60 or 70 tonnes carries about 50 rounds of tank ammunition and a few thousand rounds (a few boxes) of machinegun bullets. That's it, until the resupply turns up.
In WH40K you have a Baneblade, the ultimate expression of Imperial fighting vehicles (except for Titans and stupidly big things like Leviathans). So we assume that it has been built to carry enough ammunition for one Battlecannon, one Demolition gun and a few bolters and stubbers. Then, in Epic scale (and the word 'scale' is very loosely applied here) we get Baneblade variants designed as Titan killers. Four Battlecannon and eight heavy bolters is just silly. Add to that power generators for the four lascannon and all the fuel you would need to move the thing, and we move from silly to completely bonkers. In terms of gameplay, there is probably more sense in deploying four Leman Russ than one four-barrelled bullet magnet.
But the key word here is bonkers. 8X
I wanted a 40K scale Stormhammer and I built one!

Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
1,560 Posts
I have to agree. Two long and two short seems to give the modell a better balance and looks much better in my opinion.
Plus it will make it a lot easier to parallel park.

groan,

My concern is where is the ammunition stored to supply all these huge guns?

Looking with great interest at this project, thanks.

The Blackadder

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good question. Since modern tanks carry about 40-50 rounds of gun ammunition in their turrets and hulls I would say that a regular Baneblade does the same thing: perhaps a couple of dozen rounds each of demolisher and battlecannon ammo. So, my Stormhammer has a bit more than that, maybe 50 rounds total of battlecannon ammo, because of the larger turret. As for the sponson guns, I don't think HB ammo takes up much room, so I don't think it is an issue. Certainly enough for a short battle.
However, all that extra weight means that the engine just guzzles fuel, so the Stormhammer would have to be followed by a retinue of fuel, ammo and tech adept support vehicles. Not to mention the vehicles that I want out to the flanks and rear for protection, because this bad boy is a big prize for the enemy.
In my imagination, it's a big deal, tactically, to deploy this beastie, because of all the support vehicles etc .

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TWTMG and Bull Grox - updates!

Update!

I undercoated the Stormhammer with Citadel black and then Tamiya sand sprays. I tried to paint a digital pattern in olive and dark grey along the hull sides of the hull and turret, but it was a bit indistinct due to my use of cheap masking tape, which left a lot of 'bleeding' where the colours met.
My next bright idea was to outline the digital camouflage squares in lighter shades using paint markers, but the colours did not match the pen lids (too bright) and it was very difficult to get the pen around the rivets on the model.
So, the Stormhammer has been resprayed in sand. (Tracks painted separately)

Stormhammer side view

Stormhammer - top view

Stormhammer three quarter view - with crew blue-tacked in before painting

Here are the main bits of the Bull Grox (Baneblade recovery vehicle / engineer vehicle / wrecker). I'm still not sure about the construction of the manipulator arms. I may cut them apart and extend them. The strips of plastic will eventually be 'rails' painted to look like the manipulator mounts slide along them. (Greasy mechanical recesses, shiny worn metal)

Bull Grox hull

Bull Grox hull rear

Crane from Matchbox toy in reversed Baneblade turret

Crane turret

Dozer blades and arms from old Defiler conversion

Mockup showing dozer blade, crane turret, manipulator arms and possible TL HB armament

Another view of the mockup

The Bull Grox will soon get a lot more cables, tools, rust, grease etc to make it look more like an engineer or recovery vehicle.

PLMKWYT
Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

Reactions: SmokWawelski
1 - 20 of 43 Posts