·
1,019 Posts
1. Dont know.

2. I use Ghostly grey.

What are you painting?

·
Registered
770 Posts
1. I think the best material to make long lasting banners with is from aluminium cans. You can cut it with scissors, basecoat it and paint it just like with paper or plasticard. It will last for years and years!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by protocon@Jul 8 2003, 21:19
1. Dont know.

2. I use Ghostly grey.

What are you painting?
I am going to have to paint grey knights once I have completed this last model right now of my Tau thought I am buying some this weekend. My army will be all grey knights and instead of painting them all silver or red like in the codex I thought white would look preety cool with a heavy varnish coat to make it look more ceramic like. I dont know about you folks but I just hate using the same painting scheme as in the codexs. I try to do it differently.

Id never heard of using aluminum, Ill have to look into that.

And you use ghostly grey, doesnt look to dark on the skull white. What about a mix of mithril silver and skull white. How do metals and flat paints mix. Ive never tried.

Hmmmm

·
Registered
346 Posts
Aluminium foil ( from a roll ) is quite good if you get a length of it and fold it a few times,then cut it to size ( good flowing texture )

but I've also used plain paper and business cards which both work fine, in fact I'm painting a ( rather plain ) banner for my chaos dready right now and I made it out of a friends business card.

Can't offer you advice on colours, because I always base it black then go from there.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Try moulding a banner from green stuff

Wait a minute... highlight white!?
White is the highlight colour...
Paint the base coulour space wolves grey or fortress grey and highlight that with skull white...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No if you paint them grey then I wont get the primary white effect I want. White is pure. They have to look like on the table top like an absolute pure force of good. So I chose white but I need to highlight it. Would a mix of bleached bone and white make a good highlight on white?
Hmmmm . . .

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Do you play a Space Marine army? I'm my experience with painting white armour I have found that simply using only white (on a white basecoat) and then painting the 'cracks' in the armour with watered down black ink works great.

As for the banners I don't have many banners in my army because I'm still experimenting with different techniques...

·
1,019 Posts
Well i used ghostly grey as a highlight for the skin of my Daemon prince (his skin is white), and that came out pretty good.

But arent the edges of aluminum thingies sharp? (would hate to slit my wrist on a banner model :p )

·
Registered
346 Posts
Originally posted by protocon@Jul 9 2003, 12:52
But arent the edges of aluminum thingies sharp? (would hate to slit my wrist on a banner model :p )
Rofl hey this is a war game, next time you go to a gaming club you can show someone the scars you got fom your mini and say to them " Don't mess with him, He'll f#@k you up! " ;)

As for ShaselMudd's question about the paper. No I just use plain A4 computer paper, once it has a good coat of paint it becomes rather ridgid. After the whole things painted I give it a coat of clear nail polish to make it nice and shiny and to seal it.

When I can be bothered I'll post some of my minis up in the gallery
( even my Asp Champs get their own personalised banners )

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Moncs@Jul 9 2003, 17:29

As for ShaselMudd's question about the paper. No I just use plain A4 computer paper, once it has a good coat of paint it becomes rather ridgid. After the whole things painted I give it a coat of clear nail polish to make it nice and shiny and to seal it.

I like that idea using the nailpolish especially. Sounds like it would seal it well and it might be less dangerous than aluminnum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Is there at all any colour out there that classifies to be a more lighter colour than white?

The black ink thing that was mentioned my someone sounds like a good idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.